Author Topic: TWill getting the Darko treatment!  (Read 15667 times)

Re: TWill getting the Darko treatment!
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2013, 03:42:03 AM »

Offline celticsleyte

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
I would like to see T. Will play but will cut Doc some slack on this for now until he learns the plays. It is tough for a young guy to get playing time from Doc especially if he tries to make plays.  Doc seems to want guys to play narrowly defined roles.

I think the guy who really had a gripe and will not likely come back is Barbosa.  A proven young vet nearly sitting on the bench barely sniffing the court while JET wasn't really doing all that much. 

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2013, 04:24:03 AM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
Are we really complaining after a win against a very solid playoff team in Utah?

Yeah it would have been great to see Twill on the court more, especially guarding Hayward because he has the height/length, but we got the win. Isn't that what matters right now? Getting the wins and solidifying our playoff spot so we can give our vets some rest down the stretch.

If we had lost, maybe I'd be on here complaining about Doc's use (or lack their of) of his young bench guys, but a win is a win and I'm not going to complain about how we get there.

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2013, 05:02:37 AM »

Offline illestmcsgt

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
You got to remember it's hard to please all of your players. There is Bradley, Terry, Lee, Pierce, and Green in front of him in the rotation. Crawford and Williams won't see much playing time with 5 players before them. Barbosa didn't get much playing time either when he was healthy.

« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2013, 05:50:24 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
That's it---officially fed up with Doc and his passive aggressive BS! So the kid messed up a little yesterday, his 2nd freakin' game! Put him in the doghouse!! Great!
With rebuilding right around the corner we don't need that king of coaching! Totally upset right now!
He's so talented, but exactly the kind of kid that doesn't need those mind games!

Aside from the fact that they were in a close game, one of the reason we've been getting better play from the guards is that they're consistently getting a decent amount of minutes every game. Why mess that up and go right back to having a logjam by playing Williams?

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2013, 07:07:18 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
I really, really hope that some of your theories are spot on; that Doc was desperate to win this one;that he wanted to give the other guys more minutes for consistency;that the new guys just don't know enough of the system yet------but TWill played 25 min against Phoenix, and came in at his USUAL time towards the end of the first Q against Port.--nothing unusual, and then he missed two shots and got called for an offensive foul in pretty short order(hey, it happens-to PP,to JG, to CL, to everyone), and BAM to the bench he goes! He got,I believe 2 more minutes in the second half, and the next game he doesn't get played!! Too much coincidence for me! DOGHOUSE!!! But again, I hope some of you more optimistic aboard are correct!
He really is a very talented kid that could turn into something very special, and UNEXPECTED for us, if Doc handles it right! But, as another poster pointed out, Doc often treats new guys alot different!

« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2013, 07:12:07 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
That's it---officially fed up with Doc and his passive aggressive BS! So the kid messed up a little yesterday, his 2nd freakin' game! Put him in the doghouse!! Great!
With rebuilding right around the corner we don't need that king of coaching! Totally upset right now!
He's so talented, but exactly the kind of kid that doesn't need those mind games!
Our fifth guard is getting fifth guard minutes. Stop the presses.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2013, 07:27:32 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Four shots and zero assists in seven minutes of play vs. Portland wasn't what Doc was looking for.

And that he went that far astray after receiving such accolades for being a natural PG isn't encouraging.

Too bad.

« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2013, 08:22:18 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Itstaysyang,

There was NOTHING complicated about Avery chasing Hayward all over the court one on one.  There is nothing complicated about that which would make it difficult for TWill to pick up.  That is play ground defense.  You simply stay with your man, their hot hand, and do NOT worry about anything else.  TWill could have done that.

Smitty77

« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2013, 08:30:52 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Itstaysyang,

There was NOTHING complicated about Avery chasing Hayward all over the court one on one.  There is nothing complicated about that which would make it difficult for TWill to pick up.  That is play ground defense.  You simply stay with your man, their hot hand, and do NOT worry about anything else.  TWill could have done that.

Smitty77
The C's defense requires more than just sticking with your man. Even when a guy like Hayward is stroking it from deep.

You have to dig, play the pick and roll, and in this game double and rotate correctly on Big Al.

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2013, 08:31:06 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Four shots and zero assists in seven minutes of play vs. Portland wasn't what Doc was looking for.

And that he went that far astray after receiving such accolades for being a natural PG isn't encouraging.

Too bad.

Eh it was such a limited sample.  I wouldn't rush to anything.  The dude can pass and make plays, that's always been what is intriguing about him. 

As kozlodoev says above, he is just buried in the chart. We've been going small ball be [dang]ed but last night we really had to try to go big to match up with Utah because they have 4 good bigs and they can rotate them in to be fresh.

I think that was just the case here.  Bass played 42 minutes.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2013, 08:42:39 AM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
TWill didn't live up to his PG reputation in Portland. He looked anxious to put points on the board so he can earn a contract for the rest of the season. Doc sits guys that don't play their own role. Williams was taking one dribble pullups instead of initiating the offense. Doc sat him against Utah to break him down a little, so he can build him back up. Terrence Williams needs that kind of discipline to save his career. Doc is a great mentor and father figure for a lot of players in this league, if anyone can get Williams to succeed its Doc.

Having 3 days off and a few practices should do wonders for Crawford and Williams. It will be an interesting battle for playing time between them.

« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2013, 10:06:57 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
"The Darko Treatment" made me chuckle.  The guy didn't exactly set the world on fire in pre-season, and in the one game where he saw the floor with the Cs, he turned the ball over twice in five minutes. 

I know that center starved Celtics fans, myself included, get excited when any 7 footer in green does anything at all on the court, but Darko didn't get off the bench because he wasn't as good as the guys playing in front of him. 

At his best, the guy is a journeyman, backup center.  unfortunately, he chose to move on from Boston, but I don't see him leaving as some kind of "treatment" unless you believe that journeyman 9th man types have to have their egos massaged by head coaches. 

Re: Doc VS T-Will (open letter to doc)
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2013, 10:09:50 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Dear Doc,

Why not play the Terrence 5 minutes like you did with Crawford?

Williams has a history of having attitude issues. Why bruise his ego more, Doc?

He played 2 good games out of 3.
And he's automatically in the Dog house.

I just don't get your coaching style anymore. It sure worked for the Big 3 when they first got here.

But you've got a new team now, athletic and younger.

And with that comes more risks. Take the risk, Doc, it will only help us out in the long run, an athletic and high energy pair of Williams and Crawford should be given more minutes.

They have been waiting to play for an organizations like the Celtics all their lives, and now that they are here, you cut them off.

Why would you choose Terry to guard a 6'9 Hayward?

Aren't coaches supposed to adapt to whats happening to the game?

There was little to no adjustments made tonight.

Avery Bradley begged you to keep him in the game while he and Lee were on a run, plus, he was one of the best players tonight.

Whats up with that?

Why do you choose to keep your vets happy, and give them more minutes, then you come out to the media and say that resting is more important right now.

Why play the vets excessively when you've got younger guys that are full of energy.

Sure they are inexperienced, but how else can they get experience? You need to play them more.

Why not call more plays for Jeff Green?
Why do you choose Bass over him?

Sure, Green did not play well tonight, but how can he play well if you are taking him out every time he heats up.

Welp, I might be over-reacting a little bit.

That's the end of my rant.

i agree, tho.

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2013, 10:25:49 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I don't understand the title of the thread.

The Cs played an 8-man rotation before a week when they only play 1 game in 7 days. Extended minutes for the old guys because they can rest after.

The guy on a 10-day deal didn't get in the game. No news here.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2013, 10:28:28 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Doc can be a stubborn idiot!!!!  Gordon Hayward is killing us.  He is too tall a cover for our short SG's.  Hmmm, what to do Doc???  Oh yeah, you have a 6'6" guard on the bench that is a solid defender name Terrence Williams.  Oh yeah, he is in the dog house because of ONE freaking bad game, so let's NOT play him even ONE freaking minute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smitty77

How dramatic. Wait I forgot that Celtic defense isn't complicated. How long has T-Will been on the roster again?

NEXT

Next indeed. There's a reason this guy was playing in china.