Author Topic: Tom Brady extension  (Read 10426 times)

Re: Tom Brady extension
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 07:26:14 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Tom Brady signed a three year extension in what is basically a sweetheart deal for the Pats, and creates more financial flexibility for the Pats this year and going forward.

Some details here: http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=bostonnew-england-patriots&id=4740260

Enough room to sign all four of
Welker
Vollmer
Talib
Ed Reed
?

Doubtful, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

The rumrors last night were that Welker and the pats were discussing a 5 year 40 million dollar deal, so 8 mill per year.

Bradys cap hit reduction after this new deal provides a savings to the patriots of exactly 8 million.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 08:13:53 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
Great deal for the Pats & Brady. 

Now sign Welker, franchise Talib, and shore up the O-Line & secondary via free agency and resigning their own guys.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 08:27:02 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
So looking at Brady's cap hits under his past contract this was inevitbale. 

2010: 17.42 Mill
2011: 13.20 Mill
2012: 8.00 Mill
2013: 21.8 Mill
2014: 21.8 Mill

So it looks like last years salary for Brady was a bit of an albatross.  I thought this move would save the pats cap space compared to last year for brady but with his hit only being 8 million thats not the case.

So last year Brady and Welker were making a combined 17.5 Million.  After Bradys restructuring, if the 8 mill per year deal for wes were true you would have them both for 21.8 Mill a raise of 4.3 million compared to last year.  (but the same amount we would have paid brady alone prior to restructuring)

Also, in looking closer at the cap, the patriots 5th highest paid player is gotskowski at 3.4 million in 2013.  Im not sure I like that.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 08:54:06 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Great deal for the Pats & Brady. 

Now sign Welker, franchise Talib, and shore up the O-Line & secondary via free agency and resigning their own guys.

On felger and Mazz they were saying that the pats thought they would be in position to pick from a plethora of talent in the free agent market and thought that alot of teams financial would be hurting.

The pats were already carrying over 5.8 million of cap space from last year according to John Clayton giving them a pre-brady restructure of 18.6 million to spend.  Now including the brady restructure they have 26.6 million to spend which would put them at 6th most behind

1. Cincinatti $55 Million
2. Cleveland $48.9 Million
3. Indianapolis $46 Million
4. Miami $35.8 Million
5. Tampa $31.3 Million
6. New England $26.6 Million

Aside from Indy making an unexpected run last year, Those are some pretty bad teams that NE is in there with. 

(Also I would be surprised to see teams like Cincy/Cleveland/Tampa spend to the cap.  Bob Kraft spending to the cap wouldnt surprise me)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 08:59:11 AM by Rondo2287 »

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 09:49:36 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I'm sure it's good for the team, but it's a win-win situation -- the contract is fully guaranteed.

Yes, this is a good point. But didn't Brees' $100M contract have $60M guaranteed? No matter how you look at it, it is a clear win for the Pats, and a concession by Brady in order to *win*.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 09:51:19 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I'm sure it's good for the team, but it's a win-win situation -- the contract is fully guaranteed.

Yes, this is a good point. But didn't Brees' $100M contract have $60M guaranteed? No matter how you look at it, it is a clear win for the Pats, and a concession by Brady in order to *win*.

I don't see an issue with fully guaranteeing Tom Brady his contract lol
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 11:57:14 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
One other additional piece to this is that I think Lloyd is probably gone.  He is owed 4.5 million next year and I think the pats will probably move Hernandez to that position and line up with Ballard and Gronk as the two tight ends. 

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 12:03:20 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
One other additional piece to this is that I think Lloyd is probably gone.  He is owed 4.5 million next year and I think the pats will probably move Hernandez to that position and line up with Ballard and Gronk as the two tight ends.

If anything, though, it is now *more likely* that the Pats keep Lloyd, since the Pats now have more room.

Not saying Lloyd won't be cut, but disagree (respectfully) with your reasoning.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 12:03:58 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86

Updating previous items, Tom Brady's new five-year contract is worth $57 million with $33 million fully guaranteed.
Brady will receive $30 million in signing bonus payments over the first three seasons. His base salaries in 2013 and 2014 are now $1 million and $2 million, respectively. The contract is essentially fully guaranteed through 2015, as in 2016 the money Brady is owed becomes guaranteed for injury only. It's possible that the Patriots could approach Brady about another restructure after that point. For now, they have the future Hall of Famer under control through 2017 at an incredibly team- and cap-friendly rate.

Source: ESPN Boston

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 12:14:00 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

If anything, though, it is now *more likely* that the Pats keep Lloyd, since the Pats now have more room.

I always thought it was lloyd or welker coming back.  And I think brady took the cheap deal to keep welker which makes lloyd the odd man out.  Thats where im coming from haha.

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 12:15:07 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be

I agree with Rondo on this.  Unless Lloyd renegotiates his contract to lower the cap hit, I think he's gone.  They're not going to want to tie up that much money with that production.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 12:39:43 PM by Donoghus »

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 12:26:40 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

I agree with Rondo on this.  Unless Lloyd renegotiates his contract to lower the cap hit, I think he's gone.  They're not going to want to tie up that much money with that production.

Coincidentally, Beddard put out a piece today saying Pats are "tired of Lloyd's erratic behavior in the locker room" -- whatever that's supposed to mean.

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2013/02/26/greg-bedard-on-dc-most-people-would-like-to-move-on-from-brandon-lloyd/
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2013, 12:30:38 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Coincidentally, Beddard put out a piece today saying Pats are "tired of Lloyd's erratic behavior in the locker room" -- whatever that's supposed to mean.

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2013/02/26/greg-bedard-on-dc-most-people-would-like-to-move-on-from-brandon-lloyd/

Hmm that is interesting.  FWIW I think Lloyd was fine last year.  I think he produced well especially compared to other receivers they had brought in. 

I think if his salary this year stayed consistant with last year he would be welcomed back open arms.  I think the raise is what triggers the Partriots "Value-meter"

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2013, 12:42:05 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Lloyd tended to have those games in which he would disappear completely -- though I think this was more of a function of the fact that others stepped up, and Brady can go with the same guy 20 times on 20 snaps if he thinks it works.

I don't think I was ever concerned how Lloyd not making a play was killing us.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2013, 12:58:21 PM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37

I don't see them cutting Lloyd. I'd give it a 5% chance max and only because Bill has been known to surprise me. Lloyd showed inconsistent flashes of the player that they expected him to be, but you have to give him at least another full off-season and see if he meshes with Brady more. He has the talent, knows the playbook and is the ONLY WR on our roster right now. His cap hit isn't that bad compared to what to his output last season and I only expect him to get better.