Author Topic: Doc starts Coaching Celts start Losing  (Read 7589 times)

Re: Doc starts Coaching Celts start Losing
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 08:24:02 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
 I think a lot more of the winning & losing this season has been due to the performance of the players, not Doc.  We've seen some real stink bombs from players this season from Pierce to Terry to Rondo to Bass.  Lots of inconsistency, especially early on.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 10:02:06 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Have anyone else witnessed what I've been seeing... When this new without Rondo group started playing these guys were playing freely, running, pushing the ball & just finding the open man. = WINNING

Now that Doc has has few practices in with this new group teaching them how to run plays without Rondo they started struggling = losing

Doc simply needs to stop coaching & tell the guys just run & find the open man

i absolutely agree and have been preaching this board wise
unfortunately, everyone seems to overrate Doc as well as 2013 KG and PP, so you won't get much feedback here lol

I don't think "feedback" means what you think it does.

what?
he came up with a thought or idea and asked for your thoughts
or FEEDBACK

i'm well aware of what the word means†t

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 10:08:37 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
and after reading this thread
yes...overrating Doc

his rotations suck. he's finally gotten better at calling time outs. he almost never rides the hot hand (unless it's Paul). has a very predictable crunch time play (PP iso). doesn't INSTILL enough trust in his younger guys, which could mess with their developmet.

Now, that's just the petty stuff.

And I think, once again, you all are misunderstanding what he's saying. He's not saying the difference is between Doc taking a day off and Doc not, or at least that's not what I'm saying.

Sometimes Doc seems to let them play freely, by calling one play until the other team defends it (which he's said after many games). Mainly because no one knows the sets. Then we have a practice and everyone comes out trying to do too much and pretend like they're real PG's...running more halfcourt/set plays rather than playing freely.

What I'm saying is always play freely.

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 10:41:18 AM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
Have anyone else witnessed what I've been seeing... When this new without Rondo group started playing these guys were playing freely, running, pushing the ball & just finding the open man. = WINNING

Now that Doc has has few practices in with this new group teaching them how to run plays without Rondo they started struggling = losing

Yes, Yes, and more Yes.
Very astute of you. Through history, Doc has a way of coaching to losing. Sam Cassell, Curly Kristic(?), Starbury, etc. Now, we are going to be stuck in a half court offense with a two man game, Pierce and Garnett.

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 11:11:09 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
You clearly have no idea how the NBA schedule works -- since the trade deadline, we've had one game and one back-to-back set with 1 travel day in-between. I guarantee you the team has had 0 (yes, zero) practices during this period.

For better or for worse, this is not the Euroleague, where teams play once a week and practice two times a day in-between.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 11:19:12 AM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
You clearly have no idea how the NBA schedule works -- since the trade deadline, we've had one game and one back-to-back set with 1 travel day in-between. I guarantee you the team has had 0 (yes, zero) practices during this period.

For better or for worse, this is not the Euroleague, where teams play once a week and practice two times a day in-between.

Do you think Doc is a good Coach?

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 11:35:05 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Do you think LeBron is better than Kobe?

Sorry, I thought we were asking questions marginally related to the post they're replying to.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 11:54:45 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
yes...overrating Doc

his rotations suck. he's finally gotten better at calling time outs. he almost never rides the hot hand (unless it's Paul). has a very predictable crunch time play (PP iso). doesn't INSTILL enough trust in his younger guys, which could mess with their developmet.

And I think, once again, you all are misunderstanding what he's saying. He's not saying the difference is between Doc taking a day off and Doc not, or at least that's not what I'm saying.

Sometimes Doc seems to let them play freely, by calling one play until the other team defends it (which he's said after many games). Mainly because no one knows the sets. Then we have a practice and everyone comes out trying to do too much and pretend like they're real PG's...running more halfcourt/set plays rather than playing freely.

Yes I agree 100 percent. I can't wait until the doc era is over. I honestly never liked his coaching. If he can just NOT MESS ANYTHING UP I consider that a victory for mr doc rivers. Just don't do anything stupid....like sitting green for bass when green has it going. Or putting bass at the 5. Or playing bass and sully together or treating terry like hes ray allen or........I think you get my point.

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 12:02:02 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
yes...overrating Doc

Yes I agree 100 percent. I can't wait until the doc era is over. I honestly never liked his coaching. If he can just NOT MESS ANYTHING UP I consider that a victory for mr doc rivers. Just don't do anything stupid....like sitting green for bass when green has it going. Or putting bass at the 5. Or playing bass and sully together or treating terry like hes ray allen or........I think you get my point.

i have no clue when you're being sarcastic lol

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 01:09:10 PM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown

Do you think LeBron is better than Kobe?

Sorry, I thought we were asking questions marginally related to the post they're replying to.
I forgive you for being so bitter.

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 01:28:38 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

We were playing great basketball when Rondo went out, but nobody is making a big enough deal about how much Barbosa was contributing.  Those first 5 wins he had 9, 7, 12, 14 and 14... You had 4 guards all contributing in their own way and that combined with Green's newfound freedom made up for the loss of Rondo.

Barbosa went down and we were lacking that scoring punch off the bench.

We just added Williams and Crawford... Crawford specifically is expected to fill the Barbosa role.  It's been 3 games and we've won 2 of them... could have won all 3.  That game in Portland came down to the wire.   I don't expect these new guys to just instantly "get it".  It's going to take time.  I wouldn't have been shocked to see us stumble for 5-10 games while the team adjusted again... And yet we're still doing fantastic, imo.   We are definitely playing like a playoff team.  We might not make it out of Round 1, but we aren't going to be an easy beat.

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 01:36:19 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
yes...overrating Doc

i have no clue when you're being sarcastic lol

I was being serious and agreeing with you.

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2013, 01:37:43 PM »

Offline jbaerg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
Maybe we really aren't all that good? I don't know how you can just force a group of players to be better. We aren't a championship caliber team, I love this team to death, but I've come to grips with just riding into the playoffs and just taking as much as we can.

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2013, 01:49:25 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
Maybe we really aren't all that good? I don't know how you can just force a group of players to be better. We aren't a championship caliber team, I love this team to death, but I've come to grips with just riding into the playoffs and just taking as much as we can.

Yeah, I've come to grips with that too. Sucks, but reality is reality.

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2013, 02:02:06 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I think the weird thing about trying to coach this team would be the incredible depth coupled with the relative balance in talent level.

KG is probably tops, but I don't think there's a massive dispersion in level of talent between KG, Pierce, JET, Green, and Healthy Rondo as stars, and then a next tier of midlevel-type guys like Bass, Barbosa, Lee, Bradley, and Motivated Wilcox are.

Losing the three guys shortened and cleared up rotations and roles by necessity, but that short rotation can't hang in a marathon.  We need to rotate other guys through and work rest into the mix.

When it shortenes back up in the playoffs, it should look better.