Author Topic: Ian Thompson : Doc might coach next USA team, could be chance to recruit stars  (Read 1614 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
He was on comcast earlier talking about how the c's can rebuild in the future. He mentioned Doc is in the mix for the next head coach of team USA, saying that this could be a chance to recruit some stars for Boston.

So my question is, who would you want Doc to recruit ?

For me it has to me Lemarcus Aldridge or Kevin Love. Those 2 guys would be great fit with Rondo .

Who would you want ?(  somewhat realistically )

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Or it could also be a chance for Doc to completely push away some young stars if they see what it's really like to play for him. For example, Love and Aldridge would ride the pine for a 5 guard olympic small ball lineup.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
dont' be so sure Doc Rivers will be still be coaching the Celtics at that point.  He's a proven and successful coach.  He probably will not stick around in Boston forever... especially since we are on the verge of lengthy rebuild that could see us spend 5-20 years in no-man's land.  I can't see Doc sticking around for that... some contender will eventually fire their coach and hire Doc.  Like for instance, if the Thunder fail to knock off the Heat this year... at what point do they start looking for a championship caliber coach like Doc?

When the superstars retire and Boston hits lotteryville, I see Doc landing a more appealing gig.

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
dont' be so sure Doc Rivers will be still be coaching the Celtics at that point.  He's a proven and successful coach.  He probably will not stick around in Boston forever... especially since we are on the verge of lengthy rebuild that could see us spend 5-20 years in no-man's land.  I can't see Doc sticking around for that... some contender will eventually fire their coach and hire Doc.  Like for instance, if the Thunder fail to knock off the Heat this year... at what point do they start looking for a championship caliber coach like Doc?

When the superstars retire and Boston hits lotteryville, I see Doc landing a more appealing gig.

Isn't the next world games next year? I don't see Doc leaving before then....

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Doc already committed to sticking around for the rebuild with his last extension. He also said when he signed it that being a long term celtic means more to him than going somewhere else to win.

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Dwight, Kyrie, Anthony Davis

I think Damian Lilliard is going to be a rising star in the league.  Reminds me of Russ Westbrook a little, but less athletic and better shooter.

2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I was under the impression that once Coach K stops doing it, Team USA is Greg Popovich's gig to lose.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Or it could also be a chance for Doc to completely push away some young stars if they see what it's really like to play for him. For example, Love and Aldridge would ride the pine for a 5 guard olympic small ball lineup.

I could see Doc playing LeBron at the 5.  But in international ball that probably wouldn't be the worst idea.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I was under the impression that once Coach K stops doing it, Team USA is Greg Popovich's gig to lose.

As long as Colangelo is running USA basketball, it's pretty doubtful that Pops will get the reigns in 2016.

I'd put it between Doc & Doug Collins from the Pro side.  Maybe a guy like Boeheim from the college level.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Or Danny could get a decent player to replace PP and KG and we'll still be rolling in the playoffs. I don't think your "the sky is falling" scenario is set in stone.