Author Topic: Hassan Whiteside Anyone?  (Read 3141 times)

Re: Hassan Whiteside Anyone?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 12:53:07 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Danny is making this decision by Friday right ... given the deadline for adding playoff eligible players?

The March 1 deadline is for players on a team in the NBA to be waived so they can be eligible for the playoffs if they sign with another team.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 01:02:42 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
So I guess both the Rio Grande Valley Vipers' Coach and Danny Ainge both like Ohlbrecht much better than Whiteside.
Well, Ohlbrecht has Whiteside's skills and size, and then  some (e.g., shooting ability). Hard to blame Ainge there.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 02:43:24 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
Whiteside was Melo like raw when he was drafted, but that was 3 years ago. He should be much further along in his development by now. What's holding him back?

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 05:10:04 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Whiteside was Melo like raw when he was drafted, but that was 3 years ago. He should be much further along in his development by now. What's holding him back?
Why does everyone assume that development is pretty much automatic as time goes by?

Some players just don't pan out, regardless of what you think their "ceiling" might be, or how many minutes they're fed.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 06:56:01 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
So I guess both the Rio Grande Valley Vipers' Coach and Danny Ainge both like Ohlbrecht much better than Whiteside.
Well, Ohlbrecht has Whiteside's skills and size, and then  some (e.g., shooting ability). Hard to blame Ainge there.

Olbrecht has more of an offensive game but he isn't in Whiteside's league defensively.  Olbrecht is at 3 blks per 48 minutes.  Whiteside is at 7.5.  Olbrecht pulls down 13rebs per 48.  Whiteside pulls down almost 24.

Whiteside is 7' with long arms that give him a 7'7" wingspan and super athletic.  Olbrecht is 6'11" and not so much.

Olbrecht shoots .602 fg% and Whiteside .592.  That puts them at 4th and 6th respectively in the D-League.

Olbrecht has already signed with the Rockets and seems to have had an agreement that he would do so all along so whether he is better to sign than Whiteside is kind of a mute point.

One more possible guy from the D-League, or at least one of the most interesting is Will Foster from Soiux Falls.  The important thing to know about him is that he is 7'5".  He doesn't block shots or rebound as well as Whiteside...or shoot free throws, but he is really tall.