Author Topic: China Basketball League?  (Read 4533 times)

China Basketball League?
« on: February 25, 2013, 04:06:05 PM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
Since T. Williams and DJ White are coming from the China Basketball League, does anyone know anything about this league.
Is it competitive? Better than the D. League? I just picture a bunch of tall black guys playing against a bunch of short asian dudes doing dunk and lay up drills.

Re: China Basketball League?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 04:37:48 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
decent nba players sometimes go to china when all nba teams pass on them for various reasons.

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 05:07:46 PM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
From what I understand from my Chinese friends who follow the CBA, its not as competitive as the D-League. Each team is restricted to only 2 foreign players and the bottom 3 teams from the previous season get 3 (but one needs to be asian). So since there is less potential nba talent it is less competitive. But the salaries are significantly better in China than the D-league. I think D-League salaries are between $12-24k and in China it can be anywhere from $60k to $100k plus. And if you are a star over there you can make even more in endorsements. Plus the majority of you cost of living expenses will be taken care of by the team. The major drawback is that if you sign in China you have to stay for the full season (we got lucky with Twill because he was released from his contract due to a death in the family, and DJ White's team didn't make the playoffs so he was available). So you can make more in China but you are locked into the contract and are less likely to be able to get the call up to the NBA.

That being said, since the Chinese teams generally have to pay way more for foreign players to get them to come over and because they can only have 2 on their roster, the guys they do attract and are willing to pay for tend to be better than your average D-Leaguer and often times veteran nba guys.

Guys like JR Smith, Aaron Brooks, Tracy McGrady, Eddy Curry and Wilson Chandler all did stints over there (some just due to the lockout). Stephon Marbury is actually really big in China. And then you get younger guys like White, T-Will, Quincy Douby, and others who go over trying to make a name for themselves and some money.

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 05:23:45 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Stephon Marbury is actually really big in China.

This ought to tell you all you need to know about the league quality.

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 05:45:54 PM »

Offline Nowee

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 41
  • Celtic Pride
From what I understand from my Chinese friends who follow the CBA, its not as competitive as the D-League. Each team is restricted to only 2 foreign players and the bottom 3 teams from the previous season get 3 (but one needs to be asian). So since there is less potential nba talent it is less competitive. But the salaries are significantly better in China than the D-league. I think D-League salaries are between $12-24k and in China it can be anywhere from $60k to $100k plus. And if you are a star over there you can make even more in endorsements. Plus the majority of you cost of living expenses will be taken care of by the team. The major drawback is that if you sign in China you have to stay for the full season (we got lucky with Twill because he was released from his contract due to a death in the family, and DJ White's team didn't make the playoffs so he was available). So you can make more in China but you are locked into the contract and are less likely to be able to get the call up to the NBA.

That being said, since the Chinese teams generally have to pay way more for foreign players to get them to come over and because they can only have 2 on their roster, the guys they do attract and are willing to pay for tend to be better than your average D-Leaguer and often times veteran nba guys.

Guys like JR Smith, Aaron Brooks, Tracy McGrady, Eddy Curry and Wilson Chandler all did stints over there (some just due to the lockout). Stephon Marbury is actually really big in China. And then you get younger guys like White, T-Will, Quincy Douby, and others who go over trying to make a name for themselves and some money.
Thanks for the explanation. TP
Dutch Celtics Pride

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 05:49:20 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
China is awesome. I'm glad some players go there.

(1) make more money
(2) explore a new culture
(3) get out of your comfort zone
(4) do what you love

Why not?
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 05:56:05 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213

(1) make more money
(4) do what you love
(and for past their prime former stars like Marbury and T-mac)
5) potentially sell sneakers to 2.5 billion Chinese feet.

I give Marbury a lot of credit for his conduct in China, especially considering his bizarre behavior before leaving the states. Many NBA players, like JR Smith, had a tough time there, both on the court and off.   

Marbury has embraced that country and it's culture, and he's very popular there.  He also got his long suffering team over the hump to a championship.   

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 04:12:10 AM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37

(1) make more money
(4) do what you love

Why not?
Those are all good reasons, but a lot of guys can't stand the culture shock and the drastic change. I've been to China twice and both times I tried to imagine living there, and although it would be extremely cool and an amazing experience, I don't know if could handle it. And then to imagine it as a 6'6-6'10 person who has (most likely) never left the States, I can see why theres not a huge influx of US players. Plus you can't bail on your contract. You really have to know you can make the whole season. For example JR Smith got fined over a million dollars for not going to practice during their preseason just to spend extra time at home.

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 07:33:10 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

(1) make more money
(4) do what you love

Why not?
Those are all good reasons, but a lot of guys can't stand the culture shock and the drastic change. I've been to China twice and both times I tried to imagine living there, and although it would be extremely cool and an amazing experience, I don't know if could handle it. And then to imagine it as a 6'6-6'10 person who has (most likely) never left the States, I can see why theres not a huge influx of US players. Plus you can't bail on your contract. You really have to know you can make the whole season. For example JR Smith got fined over a million dollars for not going to practice during their preseason just to spend extra time at home.

Laws are quite different, but if you adapt to them like Starbury, then you've got yourself a second chance! ;D it's quite different, but if you like adventure......
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 08:51:05 AM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
I'm chinese but I haven't followed CBA for years, but from what i can see the competitiveness has improved in the last few years mainly due to the joining of better NBA players.

But not all NBA players are successful in CBA,K Mart was struggling when he was there, Aaron Brooks wasn't that big a impact either.

Bear in mind when a NBA player is on the court, he's likely to be guarded by another NBA player, or a decent European player. So I think you need to be at least the best of D-league to play in China.