Author Topic: I Think We Risk Not Making Playoffs With Doc's New Priority: Rest Over Record  (Read 4667 times)

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
If we are hoping for a potential showdown with Miami in the conference finals...the key is to finish with the 6th or 7th seed.  Rest the players just enough to not make the 4,5 seed and play them just enough to avoid the 8th.  And give our newbies some playing time in the process to get ready for the playoffs.

If we miss the playoffs doing this, then we really were not that good to make any noise in may anyway so we might as well go lotto.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Yup, totally agree with the OP.

It's not like the teams in the standings below us are going to just resign and say "hey, we'll just lose to make sure the Celtics get into the playoffs."

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Rest ur old guys, get your young guys experience.  This is the difference between popovich and rivers.  Hopefully doc gets it

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
I honestly can't see the Celtics not making the playoffs. Barring any more injuries, I don't  think Toronto or Philly are going to be able to challenge for the 8th seed. The Bucks have a chance to leapfrog us and avoid the Heat in the first round, but other than that the Celtics are looking good to make it.

There is no point pushing our vets so hard that when the playoffs come around we don't have enough left in the tank to put up any fight. Doc has no choice but to try to rest them whenever he gets a chance to put some life back in their legs if they want to give anyone a series. The most important thing is that he has to pick his spots.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw another San Antonio situation where Doc just hands the other team the game resting our vets and taking the fine in the second game of one of the 6 or so back to back series we have left. At least he and Danny would get a better chance to evaluate some of the new guys we are bringing in on 10 days with some legit court time.

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Rest ur old guys, get your young guys experience.  This is the difference between popovich and rivers.  Hopefully doc gets it

he does not

Offline Eigild

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
No way we're missing the playoffs in this EC. But our priority has to be 7th, better 6th seed to avoid possibly meeting the Heat in the first two rounds.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Doc is trying to win games but with our age it's hard.   I do not seeing us making a lot of noise this year, we don't have the depth without some bigs added.

The honeymoon could be over maybe the league has adjusted to our Rondoless schmes and plays.   

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I wonder what people think in terms of strategy:

should we rest a star veteran against a bad team (ie. Bobcats) and hope the rest get the win?

or should we instead rest 2 or 3 guys against a really good team (Spurs/Thunder) and just concede the loss (or maybe have a freakish win to rally around)?
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

should we rest a star veteran against a bad team (ie. Bobcats) and hope the rest get the win?

or should we instead rest 2 or 3 guys against a really good team (Spurs/Thunder) and just concede the loss (or maybe have a freakish win to rally around)?
Rest stars against bad teams, it gives confidence to bench players who will be featured in a larger role and succeed against poor competition.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
If Toronto Cleveland Detriot and Philly all play over
700 ball the rest of the way, we won't make the playoffs. I really don't foresee that happening. They all need to move the cut line to the right.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown

Rest stars against bad teams, it gives confidence to bench players who will be featured in a larger role and succeed against poor competition.
You have to take it game by game. I don't think you can decide you're resting your vets only against bad teams or against good teams. If they need rest you've got to find some for them regardless of who you're playing.

That is unless Toronto or Philly makes an unexpected push. Then I'd say make sure you're best roster is out there to get you the win and you can cede games to better opponents you probably would lose to with tired legs anyway.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The Celtics have been too decimated by injuries to truly contend this season.  With Rondo and Sullinger back next season, the Celtics have a legitimate chance to be a contender.  Doc should think long-term and not completely run Garnett and Pierce into the ground trying to squeak in the playoffs to ensure they are still capable of contributing next season.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Here's what worries and I am surprised no one has brought this up.

Didn't we just have the All-Star Break? Hence, didn't the Celtics have 6 days off to rest between the Chicago game on Feb 13 and the Denver game on Feb 19?

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
The Celtics have been too decimated by injuries to truly contend this season.  With Rondo and Sullinger back next season, the Celtics have a legitimate chance to be a contender.  Doc should think long-term and not completely run Garnett and Pierce into the ground trying to squeak in the playoffs to ensure they are still capable of contributing next season.

I really wouldn't want to see this team come back with the same roster next year. This will be year 7 of the "3 year KG era."

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
You can't start coaching with next season in mind already. Part of the reason they stood pat at the trade deadline was because they like the roster they have now. I don't honestly think that the Celtics have a legitimate chance at winning it all this season, but if you're going to decide to hold off on moving your vets while they still could bring back some decent assets to make another run of it before they retire, you better make the most of the time they are still going to be on the court. Besides even if Doc held them both out for say 7 or 8 games out of the next 26 how much of a difference is that going to make next year? I'd say none. Rest em now so they have enough in the tank to compete come playoff time and worry about next year next year.