Author Topic: I Think We Risk Not Making Playoffs With Doc's New Priority: Rest Over Record  (Read 4707 times)

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I don't think our record is good enough to play the "rest over record" game.  Doc could coach them right out of a playoff spot.  I know they played Phoenix well without KG, but I don't see how you can expect them to keep winning without KG's presence.  This is not the year to use rest over record when you barely have a playoff spot now. :-\

Thoughts?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

Offline 33_Larry Legend_33

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 87
We're good...  There's teams below us who suck, as the NBA is so watered-down that even losing 3 of our players means we're still better than most.  THAT is a sad fact...

We're stuck in position #7 and readying to bow out in round 1 against a strong Pacers team that just got their key guy back...

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
We're not missing the playoffs.

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
KG needs his rest regardless of if we make playoffs or not. He looks old out there an down the stretch we need ball movement and young athletes to back him up. He looks very old, and very tired. If he physically can't give us 100 percent then he needs to rest.

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I don't know. There isn't much of a challenge for the 9th-10th place teams.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
If we don't use this strategy we are going to get swept in the first round if we get in. It is a risk resting players but I think it will be worth the reward because I don't expect Milwaukee and another team to pass us.

If someone could give me some teams behind us we should be worried about then I will start to worry about us not making the playoffs, but until then.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Maybe we miss the playoffs and get lucky like the Bulls with Rose :)

Offline LEHGOCELTICS

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
We are making the playoffs, with worst case scenario being a 1st round exit against the Heat.

all in for r rondo all in for r rondo all in for r rondo all in for r rondo all in for r rondo

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
No one beneath the Celtics in the East right now scare me.  I don't see any of them making a real charge at us. 

Barring anymore injuries, this team is basically a lock for the playoffs.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
The problem is that the rest thing is an issue in the regular season too.

Guys have looked gassed some of these games lately.  And we're on the road so much.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
No one beneath the Celtics in the East right now scare me.  I don't see any of them making a real charge at us. 

Barring anymore injuries, this team is basically a lock for the playoffs.

They basically aren't. I think they will make the playoffs but we're far from a LOCK. We're probably just good enough to get in then. Can't believe I even have to say that. *Sigh*

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Boston has a 6 game lead for the last spot and they aren't being chased by a team like the Lakers. Boston is not missing the playoffs
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
I don't think our record is good enough to play the "rest over record" game.  Doc could coach them right out of a playoff spot.  I know they played Phoenix well without KG, but I don't see how you can expect them to keep winning without KG's presence.  This is not the year to use rest over record when you barely have a playoff spot now. :-\

Thoughts?

Risk of not going to Playoffs is evident if the team has a score close to .500, and when the team lose to games like yesterday or like games VS Bobcats. I see theta this team is more focused if they play great teams, and is less focused if they play medium or low level teams. Seemed to me that the team looks tired. Do not forget that the team did not get any good alternatives to replace 3 guys who are injured right now

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Disagree...if anything he should be resting the old farts more and might as well have sat kg again last night and just run the blazers off the court

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Celtics are up six games in the loss column over 9th place Toronto with 26 games to go.  They'd have to fail spectacularly to miss the playoffs.  Unless they fill the final two roster spots with Josh Beckett and John Lackey, they should be fine. 

The Celtics are the definition of a middling NBA team - horrible on the road, vulnerable to late game losses, and decent at home.  Get used to it, because that's how this regular season should play out.