Author Topic: Remember when we were tough?  (Read 5718 times)

Remember when we were tough?
« on: February 25, 2013, 01:17:37 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSqQ4ZOPEI0

me too. RIP Celtics basketball, for a while...
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Re: Remember when we were tough?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 01:18:47 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
"Tough" is one of those intangible qualities that you can easily project onto a team that is successful.  Just like "soft" is a quality you can easily project onto a team that's losing.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 01:20:48 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
No gray area, here... this isn't a matter of semantics. If you've played basketball, you know basketball, and you're a true fan... you know we were tough back then. Not measured by wins or losses... we were tough. If we win the next 20, we will still be soft...
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 01:59:38 AM »

Offline jojowhite10

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 49
No gray area, here... this isn't a matter of semantics. If you've played basketball, you know basketball, and you're a true fan... you know we were tough back then. Not measured by wins or losses... we were tough. If we win the next 20, we will still be soft...

I think it's pretty difficult to envision a team winning 20 games in a row yet still failing to exhibit any traits of physical or mental "toughness" (which is also an arbitrary term as PhoSita pointed out).

If you didn't mean literally 20, but you still think the Celtics are "soft", then I am confused as to why you through out an arbitrary number for comparison's sake. With all that being said, there are many aspects that determine a quality team, and oftentimes they seem to come out more often when a team loses. I gotta defer to PhoSita here and say that it just seems that way because we aren't winning. Doc is still the coach. KG is still playing. I'm pretty sure the same stuff is being preached now that was a few years ago. But hey, maybe I'm totally off base.

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 02:11:34 AM »

Offline Scottie

• NGT
  • Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 53
  • About five seconds after 17 O'clock!!
Yep, disagree vehemently with the original poster. I think Pho Sita summed it up perfectly.

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 02:18:55 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Look up "circular reasoning"
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 02:24:58 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think this team does desperately need a swagger, an identity. Things like talent, cohesiveness, they breed play you might call 'tough', because they can consistently play through adversity.

We also are desperately missing an enforcer. Perkins is tough. So is Zach Randolph. Nik Pekovic is tough. But so is James Johnson, and he's buried on the Sacramento bench. Toughness isn't necessarily brutish play, it's refusing to bend to adversity. Miami is 'tough', and their best rim protector was once called 'ru-Paul' by Shaq. But they're tough because they stroll into your house with a target on their back night after night and win more games than they lose, and don't apologize for it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 02:39:25 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Toughness doesn't make up the difference between Pierce missing a difficult wide open turnaround shot from 10 feet and Wesley Mathews swishing a step back fadeaway 3 pointer over Jeff Green's outstretched arm.

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 03:23:11 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I think this team does desperately need a swagger, an identity. Things like talent, cohesiveness, they breed play you might call 'tough', because they can consistently play through adversity.

We also are desperately missing an enforcer. Perkins is tough. So is Zach Randolph. Nik Pekovic is tough. But so is James Johnson, and he's buried on the Sacramento bench. Toughness isn't necessarily brutish play, it's refusing to bend to adversity. Miami is 'tough', and their best rim protector was once called 'ru-Paul' by Shaq. But they're tough because they stroll into your house with a target on their back night after night and win more games than they lose, and don't apologize for it.

Again, these things really seem like narratives that are driven by observers.

The Heat lacked mental toughness when they first came together.  Then they won, and they were tough and had swagger.

Dirk was soft.  Then he carried his team to a title over the Heat and that talk stopped.  In retrospect, some people say Tyson Chandler brought the Mavs the toughness they needed to win.

KG was a soft guy who just trash talked a lot.  Then he won a title with the Celtics and he was legit tough.

Pau Gasol was soft in Memphis, then joined the Lakers and got beaten around by the physical, tough, trash-talking Celtics.  Then he helped the Lakers win a title in 2009 and was the most important player in the 2010 Finals repeat.  Suddenly he wasn't soft anymore.

But then the Lakers started having trouble and losing, and Pau started to have some injuries, and just like that he was soft again.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 04:33:52 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
The defense will now present Exhibit A, the 2010 NBA Playoffs...

Also, if we go far in the playoffs (not saying we will and not saying we won't), I promise you I will bump this thread. You've got everything to lose. I'm not even sure this thread is going to last that long. I bet people are going to get riled up, call each other names and a mod will lock. We'll see...

And to the people talking about Pau: Pau is European, we are soft by definition!  ;) ::)

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 06:48:31 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
It has been a finesse team since KG moved to center. Always going to be that way.

They don't have that physical toughness in the paint anymore with KG at the five alongside guys like Bass or Wilcox.

The team's defense is based on quickness now rather than muscle. It is just a different way of getting to your end goal. A better way for this group of players because it maximizes their strengths better than Boston's old defensive style does. 

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 07:13:23 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
The days of boston being feared are long gone. Everybody feels like they can beat this celtics team, even the bobcats.

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 07:27:54 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Not really...even when we were our "toughest" we were more bark then bite...like say going 7 against a below .500 team in the first round , being unable to win a road game in the playoffs..granted we were tougher then the lakers in that years finals but that isn't saying much...they got their revenge.

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 07:31:47 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
The days of boston being feared are long gone. Everybody feels like they can beat this celtics team, even the bobcats.

They've never been feared.

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 07:34:55 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
In all honesty when Perk and Posey left town we lost our toughness.   We still competed and we won but the macho was not there anymore.