Author Topic: The deferment to KG and PP is starting to get under my skin  (Read 6283 times)

Re: The deferment to KG and PP is starting to get under my skin
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 01:09:04 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
If we play like we play in Phoenix against any and all teams, who's stopping us?

Teams that actually defend?

Beat me to it. Taking anything from the Phoenix game is worse than Fools good.

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 01:18:45 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
my point is it's harder to defend a pass
I can run with you up the court but I can't run with a ball. the pass is faster.
when you don't make passes you let the defenses set, even if they aren't good -- see Portland.
Suns never had a chance. Just like the Lakers didn't in our first meeting and I'm sure I can go back some more and figure out other wins, but those are at the forefront of my mind.

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 01:21:02 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Im not a rocket scientist by any means, but Pierce and KG are by far the top two options. For example, Pierce had 8 assists in less than 32 minutes tonight. Green didn't get one. If you are screaming at Doc for not running the offense thru Green in the fourth quarter. You may want evaluate Jeff Greens game.

Frankly, KG and PP should be top 2 options in the fourth quarter
If we play like we play in Phoenix against any and all teams, who's stopping us?

I think EVERYONE (Doc and players included) keep holding on to the past of Paul and KG. They are good now. They were GREAT then.
In addition, we have TONS OF TALENT ON THIS TEAM!! UTILIZE IT!!

2nd half, I thought we'd get to ball movement but Rondo may as well been out there the way we barely advanced the pass and always threw the ball to Pierce. That is not the way we've been winning games. at all.

What kind of offense would you like to see Doc run? The Celtics have resorted to Pierce because  that is there most efficient offense at this time. They ran a free flow offense for the first half of tonights game and they had 6 assists and 6 turnovers at half. The second half they were much better moving the ball around.

The spacing on the floor has to improve in order for the other guys to be max effective and that is not going to happen until Bradley, Lee, Terry, and Bass start knocking down some shots.

i didn't see much good ball movement. at all until PP decided he wanted to force it.
but then it would stop all of a sudden when we trot up the court or do what? defer to him even if he's behind the ball, not open, or whatever.

it's annoying

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 02:38:07 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
When guys don't make shots....it looks like we don't pass....it looks like we don't have good ball movement.

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 04:40:00 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
am i the only person that's noticed that when one of the big 3 have a big game or even just the big 3, we almost never win the game?

Have you noticed that when the supporting players have bad games we always end up with big games from 1 or all of the big three? Or how last night's game would have gotten well out of hand in the first half if KG didn't keep bailing out bad possessions with last second jump shots?

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2013, 04:52:46 AM »

Offline celticsleyte

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
I would like to see the team continue to run plays other than the Pierce ISO game and a strategy to take advantage of mismatches regardless of which Celtic has the good matchup but Doc just likes to call the same numbers and with Ray gone this year it is more predictable than ever.

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2013, 05:29:44 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Teams that actually defend?

Beat me to it. Taking anything from the Phoenix game is worse than Fools good.

...Although it's a shame Jeff Green can't be defended by Scola every game, he'd still have time to play his way onto an all-nba team this year.

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2013, 07:34:16 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
looks to me we are better without kg looking at the last 2 games
 :P
 ;)

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2013, 07:37:38 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
When guys don't make shots....it looks like we don't pass....it looks like we don't have good ball movement.

Yep, and it's Rondo's fault, right?  I thought the magic would wear off at some point and all this better team without him would be egg on our face.   All it took was a road trip.

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2013, 08:19:35 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It seems weird to blame Pierce and KG after last night's game, when they were the only players to shoot above 50%.

Green, Terry, Crawford, and Williams were a combined 6-for-24 (25%).  KG, meanwhile, was 4-of-7 in the 4th, and 2-for-2 on FTs.  (Pierce was cold in the 4th, shooting 1-for-5, after carrying us for three quarters.)

As for the theory "we don't win when Pierce or KG have a good game", we're 9-5 in Pierce's 14 best games according to basketball-reference's "game score".  (I used a game score of 17.0 for the cutoff point).  For KG's 9 best games (again, game score over 17.0) the team is 7-2.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2013, 08:38:45 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I would say a bigger problem would be Green being 4-12 and a -17. Or Crawford Terry and Williams being a combined 1-12

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2013, 08:40:21 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
We were playing a team that had a lot of length, it was evident that we were going to have a tough game. It was compounded by Doc giving Bass too many minutes, and going with his Extra Small Doc Special too often.

In a game that it was pivotal to play our big units, Wilcox and KG shared the floor together zero seconds as far as I can recall. It makes little sense to me.

All this to say, what the heck does Pierce and KG have to do with it? They played well.

Bass sucked with dumb decisions, poor possessions, poor defense. Terrence Williams sucked, nowhere was to be found the passing ability he had been showing, instead started playing his version of hero ball, often forgoing passes to open players to put up a bad shot. Avery Bradley played well, but I'm getting a bit tired of his chucker instincts... I really don't know what is it with him, but he goes through stretches where he takes bad shot after bad shot, with little ball movement. Jamal Crawford sucked. Jeff Green I'd say had an overall good game, his shots simply weren't falling, but I didn't expect him to have a good game today considering the length, agility, mobility of the Blazers.

There was a lot of blame to go around, which included one of the worst refs crews we've experienced this year, and Doc's poor usage of his player. Also, we don't have a full big man roster yet, so we're limited in some ways on how we can go and play... DJ White could had helped us a bit.

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2013, 09:55:54 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
It seems weird to blame Pierce and KG after last night's game, when they were the only players to shoot above 50%.

Makes as much sense as blaming Rondo when the other players were playing poorly.

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2013, 10:33:54 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
FYI -- now 9-4 in the post "we are a better team without Rondo" era. FYI, Portland had lost 7 in a row including a 36-point shellacking at the hands of the Hornets and a loss to the horrid Suns.

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2013, 10:38:36 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
FYI -- now 9-4 in the post "we are a better team without Rondo" era. FYI, Portland had lost 7 in a row including a 36-point shellacking at the hands of the Hornets and a loss to the horrid Suns.

9-4 beats 20-23. Just saying vinnie.