Author Topic: I want both Pierce and KG to re-sign at Vet's minimum  (Read 5658 times)

Re: I want both Pierce and KG to re-sign at Vet's minimum
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 01:55:30 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
Umm...yeah.  That's not gonna happen.

Plus, athletes have a relatively small window for earnings.  Why jeopardize that for the veteran's minimum if they could get more elsewhere?  They really don't owe it to anyone if they just settled for the vet's minium. 

Yes, I understand that these guys makes millions upon millions of dollars but still, make the big bucks when you can.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 03:21:04 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Um, ignoring how outrageous the thougt is, is this even an option under the CBA?

No.  You cannot renegotiate your contract to a lower salary, unless its to lessen a trade kicker, an then only if the kicker makes the trade impossible for cap purposes.

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 04:52:02 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I want a unicorn.

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 04:59:05 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
I wouldn't hold my breath

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 05:06:30 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I want to win the Powerball jackpot.

I want world peace.

I want free courtside Celtics tickets. 

I think those 3 options are just as likely to occur as what you want.

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2013, 05:09:59 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Do you guys ever think about how awesome your company would be if you and your co-workers worked for free?

Yeah, me neither.

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2013, 05:51:57 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
I don't mean to speak for the OP, but I would think that he meant - after their contracts are up. 

I have a feeling that Pierce will be at least a $5m player the summer of 2014, assuming the Cs don't make him a FA this  summer. 

If he gets cut loose this summer and hits the market for the 2014 season, I don't know why a team close to a title like OKC or Brooklyn, wouldn't throw at least a MLE deal at him to be a Manu-style 6th man.

However, if the Cs are title contenders when PP hits free agency again, and he's feeling benevolent, it would be wonderful if he played for the vetmin if that meant the Cs could use salary cap room for a player or two to put the team over the top. 

The last future HOFer to play for the vetmin was Shaq here in Boston.  Unfortunately, it didn't work out due to his injuries, but good players signing value contracts are important to championship caliber teams (Miami with battier and RA at $3m per, for example), and certainly will be even more important in the future with this new CBA and the draconian luxtax penalties.

If PP and KG want to ring chase with Boston in their golden years for chump change, I'm all for it, but I don't see that happening.  Pro athletes, especially the stars, expect to get compensated for their services.  And that's the way it should be.   

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2013, 06:51:17 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
NBA is all about it takes a village ,  I say let them 'PLAY FOR FREE'....ITS THE ONLY SOCIAL CORRECT THING TO DO.

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2013, 07:44:27 PM »

Offline ItStaysYang

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
And I'd like a hot fudge sundae

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2013, 07:49:00 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I want world peace.

I don't.  He can stay a Laker.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2013, 10:18:21 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
They can make more money as Celtic consultants.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2013, 10:22:00 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
I don't mean to speak for the OP, but I would think that he meant - after their contracts are up. 

I have a feeling that Pierce will be at least a $5m player the summer of 2014, assuming the Cs don't make him a FA this  summer. 

If he gets cut loose this summer and hits the market for the 2014 season, I don't know why a team close to a title like OKC or Brooklyn, wouldn't throw at least a MLE deal at him to be a Manu-style 6th man.

However, if the Cs are title contenders when PP hits free agency again, and he's feeling benevolent, it would be wonderful if he played for the vetmin if that meant the Cs could use salary cap room for a player or two to put the team over the top. 

The last future HOFer to play for the vetmin was Shaq here in Boston.  Unfortunately, it didn't work out due to his injuries, but good players signing value contracts are important to championship caliber teams (Miami with battier and RA at $3m per, for example), and certainly will be even more important in the future with this new CBA and the draconian luxtax penalties.

If PP and KG want to ring chase with Boston in their golden years for chump change, I'm all for it, but I don't see that happening.  Pro athletes, especially the stars, expect to get compensated for their services.  And that's the way it should be.

Yes, I'm talking about after their current contracts are done.

And to those who compare playing professional B-ball to corporate America... there's no comparison. I'd drop working for the man, in a heartbeat, if some hedge fund were to offer me $600K/yr with $1M to $5M annual bonuses. I'd work for a few years and then, retire to the Caribbean. I'd never think about work again. There are plenty of online courses and hobbies which can hold my interest from here till eternity. Working for corporate America isn't one of them.

Playing NBA B-ball is like being paid to paint, to play music, to write novels, or simply to do charity work, without having to worry about your next meal. So PP and KG can offer championships to the C's. And why would they do that, after their contracts are up? For the sake of pride and being in the category with Russell, Hondo, Bird, and McHale, being on Red's franchise for one's whole career and delivering all that one can for it. Money is only meaningful, up until the first 50 or so million. KG would have banked $300M+ and Pierce, some $160M+, when it's all said and done. C'mon, if they can't generate a passive income stream from all that, then they really need to contact me to help 'em manage their finances  ;)