Author Topic: What's your first memory of being a C's fan ?  (Read 7071 times)

Re: What's your first memory of being a C's fan ?
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2013, 10:22:10 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Unless you are a young fan if you became a fan when they got Ray and KG then you aren't a true die hard that suffered through the lean years like true fans did.

Overgeneralization showing it's bad side.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2013, 10:58:55 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
1987 Finals.  Heck of a time to start rooting for them since I only had to wait another 21 years to see them redeem themselves  :P

« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2013, 11:30:14 PM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
I watched the Celtics in the mid to late 90's but luckily I fon't remember any of it. When I became a die hard fan? That 2002 team that made that run in the playoffs - I loved that team, second only to the 2008 team. Watched almost every game since. I even enjoyed watching us sucking in the mid 2000's in hopes of some of our young players becoming stars.

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2013, 11:49:18 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
TP for the thread.

I think my first memory of being a C's fan was them winning it all in 81....my first "vivid" memory of them, though, was the little Sixers rivalry they had going on the the early 80s..Dr. J and Larry locked in a choke hold:

They even made a video game for those two...for the Atari, I believe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Zi6udU5BE

« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2013, 12:34:30 AM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
The dust hanging from the rafters of the old garden.

« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2013, 12:35:58 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Listening with my Dad and Grampa to the radio to the game six Championship win over the Lakers in 1963, and seeing this the next day:

... my very first Celtic memory, or sports of any kind, for that matter. No details at all, but I knew it was a big deal, and I remember being happy to see my Dad happy.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2013, 01:16:08 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Unless you are a young fan if you became a fan when they got Ray and KG then you aren't a true die hard that suffered through the lean years like true fans did.

does it matter?  Do you win a prize or something? ::)

« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2013, 01:21:32 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Listening with my Dad and Grampa to the radio to the game six Championship win over the Lakers in 1963, and seeing this the next day:

... my very first Celtic memory, or sports of any kind, for that matter. No details at all, but I knew it was a big deal, and I remember being happy to see my Dad happy.
Similar, but a little earlier...listening to Johnny Most call games on the car radio in the late 50's.  Later seeing broken clips on the news on a black and white tv.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2013, 01:56:20 AM »

fitzhickey

I became a fan after 2k4, where pierce was my fave player. My older brother then got me into the actual league.

« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2013, 02:59:09 AM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Well i know i was a fan for a few years before this, but i was too young to hold onto any precise moment in time until milt palacio's buzzer beater in 2000. Probably one of the most improbable/absurd buzzer beaters of all time.  ;D

« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2013, 03:14:55 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Watching a game on TV confused why it was so important. Larry Bird's last game.

Potapenko, Montross, and Dee Brown playing cards soon to follow.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2013, 03:50:32 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Watching a game on TV confused why it was so important. Larry Bird's last game.

Potapenko, Montross, and Dee Brown playing cards soon to follow.
Got to meet and learn from Dee Brown and the Chief at a basketball camp in Mass in '91 or '92, and still have both Upper Deck card and photo they signed for me, (Dee's card sitting on stanchion after dunk contest, the Chief in-game) ... I remember being amazed that when I shook their hands, Dee's was almost as big as Robert's! (Also asked Dee's gf out during a demonstration, not knowing who she was, but that's another story). ;)

« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 03:57:55 AM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2013, 05:40:45 AM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Great thread. TP's all around.

My first memory of the Celtics were the 1985 Finals. Back then, they didn't broadcast NBA games in Spain, so it was a report on TV of how the Fakers won in the Garden. As strange as it may sound for younger fans, we didn't have the Internet, so all info I got was from newspapers and the occasional TV report. Although the Fakers won in 6, I became a Celtic fan, and the next year I wanted them to crush the Fakers, but the Flakers just were too afraid to fight the Rockets, and you know.

Then the 1986 Draft came... and the McHale foot, and Bird's back, Reggie's death... and then Pitino. Through all those tragedies, always thought the Celtics are the best club even when they've had terrible teams. The Internet has made it easier to be a fan, so I've become a more die hard one.

The beauty of the Celtics is that you don't choose them, like they say, but you get caught in their charm even in their least brilliant moments. Reading the thread it's amazing how many of us became fans in losing times.

Go Celtics!!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 05:47:28 AM by aporel#18 »

« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2013, 05:48:46 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I have been a fan since Antoine Walker played for the C's. I guees that's my first memory.

But my first memorable moment would probably be Game 3 of the ECF against New Jersey when the Walker and Pierce led Celtics we're down by as much as 29 points and muscled, clawed, and fought their way back like a proud bunch.

I remember this clearly because I was the only one in the house rooting for the C's while my friends (we have cable, my friends don't) who are watching along with us is calling it pretty much over. I looked at them and told them off. That was one heck of a performance (outside of Tony Delk taking shots he should not take), one heck of a 4th quarter.

Sadly, it wasn't enough as they lost in 6. But that Game 3 really was the first most memorable moment.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2013, 07:10:15 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
May 1988, 12 years young. Celts-Hawks, NBA Playoffs, second round. At that time, I had access to only three channels at home. We were on our annual school trip (where you stay at different lodgings and combine school work with field trips and "sightseeing".) They had cable TV in the rooms and we happened to catch one of the games in the series. I fell in love with Larry Bird.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/1988_games.html
Scroll for BOS-ATL box scores

The following years I didn't watch a lot of games except when friends would tape an occasional game and lend me the VHS or we would watch a game at a friend's. I would also buy copies of USA Today to get the box scores and the standings. And finally, after three or four years, I had access to regular NBA games through cable we got installed at home. Then followed computers and well... Here I am.