Author Topic: PP trade bait around the draft ? can't see him coming back next year for 15mil  (Read 10821 times)

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Since Rondo went down....

Pierce is averaging 18 points 7 assists and 8 rebounds ...  We are 10-4 with Pierce back in command of his offense.

He's had some shooting issues, but he's clearly still the best offensive player on this team.  And overall I still have these players ranked as #1 - Healthy KG, #2 - Healthy Pierce, #3 - Healthy Rondo,  #4 - Healthy Green

Every champion has an elite big and an elite scorer.  Boston only goes as far as KG (an elite big) and Pierce (an elite scorer) takes them.  You could try to dangle 37 year old Pierce at the deadline or during the draft, but I doubt you're going to get anything substantial for the old man at this point.  You're best off just having him play in Boston until he retires.

NOte:  Paul had a pretty rough stretch of shooting in the middle of those 14 games, but apparently he's dealing with a pinched nerve?  He's shot over 50% in all of his last 4 games and brought his FG% up to 42% for the post-Rondo stretch. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 01:55:57 PM by LarBrd33 »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Pierce is averaging 18 points 7 assists and 8 rebounds ...  We are 10-4 with Pierce back in command of his offense.

He's had some shooting issues, but he's clearly still the best offensive player on this team.  And overall I still have these players ranked as #1 - Healthy KG, #2 - Healthy Pierce, #3 - Healthy Rondo,  #4 - Healthy Green

Every champion has an elite big and an elite scorer.  Boston only goes as far as KG (an elite big) and Pierce (an elite scorer) takes them.  You could try to dangle 37 year old Pierce at the deadline or during the draft, but I doubt you're going to get anything substantial for the old man at this point.  You're best off just having him play in Boston until he retires.

NOte:  Paul had a pretty rough stretch of shooting in the middle of those 14 games, but apparently he's dealing with a pinched nerve?  He's shot over 50% in all of his last 4 games and brought his FG% up to 42% for the post-Rondo stretch.

I agree they're not likely to get much value for him as a player.

I also doubt the Celtics are going to pay him $16mil to play for the 2013-14 team.

Regardless, you can be sure they'll shop his attractive contract around before the draft. 
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Healthy Rondo is our best player and has been for years. The team also generally goes as far as he takes them as well. Pierce is fully capable of carrying a team but not as regularly as he used to. Someone mentioned our 20-5 finish last year. Rondo averaged 13.5 assists over that time and followed that by having the 7 highest assist games of anyone in the playoffs, 9 of the top 10 and more than half the total 10+ assist games that occurred in the playoffs. Paul can play great as well, just not necessarily for a 45 game stretch.

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
Pierce on the C's this year is worth more than anything you could get for him this year. Next year, is next year.

Yes, $16 million is a lot of money to pay Paul next year. I'm sure Danny and Wyc would like to pay him less. I'm also pretty sure both of them would *like* Paul to still be playing for the C's next year. What can they do?

Well the two options that stand out are:

1. Pick up the guarantee and pay him $16 million. This will limit who can be brought in for the MLE.  I think the C's will be limited to the tax payers MLE at about $4 million and they need a quality Center. Won't get one for that price.

2. Don't pick up the guarantee and Pierce is a Free Agent with the C's on the hook for $5 million. The C's would save enough money to use the full MLE, and maybe be able to add a middle of the pack Center, but that's it. Pierce would be gone and that hurts!

3. Trade Paul for expirings and picks, but would they get anyone good enough for losing Pierce...unlikely. Plus with Paul gone, KG might be gone too. Those of us that prefer to "rebuild on the fly" rather than "go tanking for balls" won't like any of this.

But just exactly what else they can do? Is there any way to keep Pierce on the squad for a lower salary than that $16 million, maybe opening up the opportunity to add full MLE player?

1. Can they re-negotiate a deal with Paul before July 1 for less money but extending over a couple of extra years?

2. Can they not pick up the guarantee and then re-sign Paul for less money?

I think the answers to the two questions above is CBA says no, but I'm hoping I'm wrong.

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
I would like to table this topic for another day. Right now I say bring him back and make another run with the troops with a healthy Rondo and Sullenger. That is what Danny and Doc originally intended last off-season and we all thought this team could contend in the Conference Finals against Miami. 
The beatings will continue until morale improves

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Yeah, 15 mil is pretty pricey

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
To the OP:
Yes, he'll be trade bait around the draft, but I suspect he'll stay with the Cs.
If he stays with the Cs, he'll also be trade bait at the trade deadline next Feb.
Celtics fan for life.

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
This is what will happen, he obviously want's to remain a Celtics, the Organization obviously want's him(they would give him up for a bigger value), so I gather they will void the current contract, and just spread around that same money for another 2 or 3 years
expl. his current contract is 16 mill for another 2 years and they will sign a 4 mil 4 year deal or something like that, it will give the Celtics a nice cap space, plus you get to keep still a top SF in the game(no trade clause involved)
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2152
Are we absolutely sure Pierce can’t restructure his deal like he did last time? I know it wasn't really restructuring, but he had the option to opt out and sign a new deal.

I would love to see Pierce and Danny rip up his current deal this summer and sign something like 3 years/ $30 million so he can retire in Boston.
The only color that matters is GREEN

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2152
The uniqueness of his current deal (Only $5 million or so guaranteed on that final year) makes it so nobody really knows for sure if what I presented can be done.
The only color that matters is GREEN

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
On a per-minute basis, Pierce is averaging 24% more points than Green, 37% more rebounds, three times more assists, and 56% more steals.  That's with Pierce playing with a pinched nerve.

I think the "Green is better" argument is pretty premature.
And that's Green, who spent the first month of the season getting back into game shape after heart surgery. You can spin this either way.

Let's all settle this nice and simple.

How many 40 point games has Green had this season?

How many triple doubles has Green had this season?

How many times has Green led the Celtics in scoring, rebounding or assists during a single game?

Now compare those numbers to Pierce, then come back to me.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
On a per-minute basis, Pierce is averaging 24% more points than Green, 37% more rebounds, three times more assists, and 56% more steals.  That's with Pierce playing with a pinched nerve.

And that's Green, who spent the first month of the season getting back into game shape after heart surgery. You can spin this either way.

How many times has Green led the Celtics in scoring, rebounding or assists during a single game?

Not sure what this comment is supposed to indicate. Pierce gets the ball on every trip down the floor. He's filling up the stat sheet and doing this with so-so efficiency more often rather than not.

As I said already, this better be the pinched nerve.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

Not sure what this comment is supposed to indicate. Pierce gets the ball on every trip down the floor. He's filling up the stat sheet and doing this with so-so efficiency more often rather than not.

Stop comparing. You simply cannot. Pierce is our leader, Green is a role player.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Did someone just rank a healthy Rondo 3rd on our team BEHIND PP and KG???:-)))))))))

As the infamous John McEnroe once said, "You can NOT be serious!!!!"

Smitty77

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Stop comparing. You simply cannot. Pierce is our leader, Green is a role player.
Well, like leader, like team, I guess.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."