Author Topic: PP trade bait around the draft ? can't see him coming back next year for 15mil  (Read 10817 times)

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
It is actually quite easy to spin those numbers in Green's direction and at least call them even offensively over the last two months.  I do NOT feel that I am out on a limb AT ALL doing that.

Over 50% shooting compared to under 40% are NOT EVEN CLOSE.  The three pt. % is not even close.  The FT% is not even close.

Smitty77

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
On a per-minute basis, Pierce is averaging 24% more points than Green, 37% more rebounds, three times more assists, and 56% more steals.  That's with Pierce playing with a pinched nerve.

I think the "Green is better" argument is pretty premature.

Green is not greater then Pierce. It's not even close when you consider leadership and playmaking ability. I like what Green has been doing and his future still seems brighter then his present. However he has shown almost no ability to create for others and make them better. Pierce is still an elite SF and one of the best point forwards in the game.

green isn't better yet
Paul is almost 40 also. Green isn't even 30 yet

also...the way the team is now, i think we've outgrown the dominance needed by one person. it's a team effort. JG paired with Rondo or JG paired with Crawford or T-Will could be excellent.

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
i have no clue how some of you can still hold on to Paul by saying he's elite lol
wow

KG, I think still has some left...more than Paul does

If we'd just stop comparing Jeff and Paul, things would be so much easier.

And the notion that every one should be on the trade table when Paul and KG leave is so awful. If we get a nice dominant big man -- let's say DJ White pans out and then you have Sully coming back...I'm not sure how we're a losing team with Rondo, Jeff, Sully, AB, Lee, Jet and a pure scorer in Crawford.

Now, that's if we hold on to them. But I'm really loving how DA is gathering the talent.
we are just outside of the big 3 style of play and need to move forward accordingly

no one seems to want to move on from paul or kg. some of us are still on ray. some of us still praise Doc. smh. IT'S TIME TO MOVE ON, GUYS!!

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
It is actually quite easy to spin those numbers in Green's direction and at least call them even offensively over the last two months.  I do NOT feel that I am out on a limb AT ALL doing that.

Over 50% shooting compared to under 40% are NOT EVEN CLOSE.  The three pt. % is not even close.  The FT% is not even close.

Smitty77

You actually didn't spin the numbers quoted at all, just came up with some new ones, but who cares.

Jeff Green's much improved scoring numbers over the past few weeks makes it easy to get carried away about his history as a player. A couple of key points here:

~ his rebounding numbers and assist-to-turnover ratio in particular can still use a great deal of improvement;

~ he's too one dimensional. as Jeff plays more, NBA coaches will begin shading him to the left more consistently, which is going to be a problem for him. he's going to have to put in the work there, but he should be able to improve if he stays healthy.

Regardless, it's equally easy to get carried away about the expendability of Pierce while Green is hot. If the Celtics have championship aspirations once the 2012-13 season is over (meaning, they don't decide to rebuild), I agree with the previous poster that it's premature to assume they can do so without Pierce.

But, as I pointed out above, I don't believe the Cs will continue to push the existing window over the summer. Which means all those Green slobberers are gonna get what they want in 2013-14: 35-40 minutes a night of Green Leaf.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
On a per-minute basis, Pierce is averaging 24% more points than Green, 37% more rebounds, three times more assists, and 56% more steals.  That's with Pierce playing with a pinched nerve.

And that's Green, who spent the first month of the season getting back into game shape after heart surgery. You can spin this either way.

How do you spin Green's performance last night? Completely mailed it in.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

And that's Green, who spent the first month of the season getting back into game shape after heart surgery. You can spin this either way.

Everyone has a down game.  Hopefully Green will continue to have fewer now then he has in the past.

Offline Ersatz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 37
Now I remember why I don't visit the Forums very often: any place where people are seriously saying that Jeff Green is as good as Pierce is not a place where serious arguments are going on.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Now I remember why I don't visit the Forums very often: any place where people are seriously saying that Jeff Green is as good as Pierce is not a place where serious arguments are going on.

Because serious arguments only happen when people have the same opinion?

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

who said anything about Green being as good as PP? It is obvious Green will never reach PP's level, but it's about the team salary cap and collecting future assets .

If Green can give you about 80% of what PP does, while being able to shed salary, or gain assets for the future, I don't see why the c's wouldn't do it . They have offered him in trades the last 2 years....

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

who said anything about Green being as good as PP? It is obvious Green will never reach PP's level, but it's about the team salary cap and collecting future assets .

If Green can give you about 80% of what PP does, while being able to shed salary, or gain assets for the future, I don't see why the c's wouldn't do it . They have offered him in trades the last 2 years....

There are posters pushing the idea that Green is as good if not better then Pierce on this thread. 

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
There are posters pushing the idea that Green is as good if not better then Pierce on this thread.
When games like yesterday's are becoming more of an exception rather than the norm for Pierce, you better hope that the pinched nerve has something to do with it. That's all I have on the issue.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
The only trades where this makes sense are for teams that want to clear a "bad" or redundant contract or for teams that want to get more cap room.  Thus, there are very few trades that I think would be out there. 

Dallas seems like a team that might want some cap room and that wouldn't burden Boston that much.  Dallas could trade Marion 9.3 (expiring), Carter 3.6 (expiring), Cunningham 1.2, maybe Crowder 800k (expiring), and a future pick.  Dallas could then cut Pierce and essentially free up another 10+ million in cap room and really be in play for both Deron and Dwight to pair with Dirk.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline dysgenic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Green is not as good as Pierce, but Paul has clearly lost a step.  Personally, I don't think it's fair to play him 35 mins a game anymore.  I would like to see him come off the bench for 2 more years and play 20-25 mins a game.  It would extend his career, and he is still has enough left that he could be very effective in that role.  Mark it down, Paul Pierce @ 36, next year, wins the 6th man of the year award. 
Plus we will really find out if Green can handle Boston once and for all.

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

5 games in 7 nights
2 years until no effects (fatigue, tightness in chest, etc) from aortic heart surgery).
only at 1 year and 1 month.

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
When games like yesterday's are becoming more of an exception rather than the norm for Pierce, you better hope that the pinched nerve has something to do with it. That's all I have on the issue.

Pierce is averaging 19, 6 and 5 in 33 mpg. He's good.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)