Author Topic: Who Would You Realistically Deal Rajon Rondo For?  (Read 15839 times)

Re: Who Would You Realistically Deal Rajon Rondo For?
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2013, 11:12:00 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think something like Jeff Teague (sign and trade) and Lou Williams for Rondo and Bass would make sense for both teams (assuming Josh Smith and Atlanta worked something out).

That would make no sense for us.  Why would we do that?  We get worse at PG and pick up a small SG (6"1) that we don't need that is also coming off knee wurgery.
Because his idea of good value for Rajon Rondo is getting bad as fast as possible so we can get back into the lottery.
I actually like Jeff Teague a lot.  14.5/7.1 this year at 24 while shooting 38% from 3, 88% from the line.  His offense would open up the floor for everyone else and he has gotten better every single year and will only get better.  Williams is an excellent scorer with a great contract. 

That is good value for Rondo, no matter what you guys think.

Very similar trade to the one I wanted to do last year i.e. Rondo for Conley and Mayo.  Everyone said the same thing about Conley that they are saying about Teague and Conley then took another jump.  Teague will take that jump.

Mayo and Conley aren't worth Rondo.

Not that it really matters at this point, but this is a classic homer view of Rondo. Getting two solid young starters for Rondo is as good as the Cs will ever do.

They will never get one 'equal' player in return, because despite his flash and gaudy stats, Rondo can't score consistently or shoot FTs in the 4th Q.

I'd say it's the classic realistic view of Rondo. It's true Rondo's not much of a free throw shooter, it's equally true that when he's healthy he's one of the best playoff performers in the league. Those "gaudy stats" have a much bigger impact on games than you think.
Rondo has some great playoff games no doubt, but he also some atrociously bad games.  No one ever talks about the bad games, you know when Rondo goes 4 of 12 without taking a single foul shot in a 1 point loss to the Sixers.  Or how about the 6 of 17, again without taking a single foul shot in a 1 point loss to the Hawks.  Or how about the 4 of 14 in the 7 point loss to the Sixers.  Or the 3 of 15 game against the Heat (which Boston won).  Those are just from last year.  And sure he had the monster 44 point game (in the game 2 loss) and lots of other quality games.  The problem with Rondo though is that consistency.  Even when he turns it up a notch in the playoffs, he still has the down right awful games that cost Boston playoff victories as much as gets them wins in the monster games. 

A lesser talented, but more consistent player as well as some other value is a good trade for Rondo.  A player that even if the shot isn't going can still get to the line and hit the foul shots, would be valuable.  When Rondo is on he is on, but he is also off a lot more than most on this board want to acknowledge and when he is off, he is way off and has nothing to fall back on.

You'd prefer the more consistent Jeff Teague?  Jeff Teague who shot 33% or worse in three of the six playoff games his Hawks played in their series loss to the Celtics last year. 

Sure, like Jeff Teague, and everyone else in the league, Rondo has some bad games (do I need to remind you of how Lebron James played in the last three games of the 2010 series against the Celtics?),  but Jeff Teague doesn't have the ability, like Rondo, to take over games and have transcendent performances.  That's why Rondo is much, much better than a nice player like Jeff Teague. 

You can call Jeff Teague "consistent" because when he's bad, he's not much worse than what anybody expects out of his talent level, but you are absolutely kidding yourself if you think he has anywhere near the value to his team as somebody with the talent level of Rajon Rondo.
Teague was in his third year.  Need I remind you what Rondo looked like in the playoffs in his third year.  Teague has significantly improved this year.  I would expect a jump from him this year and yet another leap next year (look at his progressions).

Oh, there's absolutely no need to remind me about Rondo's playoff performance in his third year.  I remember it well.  That was the year that he put on an otherwordly performance in that exciting first round series against the Bulls.

He only averaged 16.9 points, 9.7 rebounds, 9.8 assists, and 2.5 steals per game in the 2008-2009 playoffs.   
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 11:17:42 AM by Celtics18 »
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2013, 11:25:01 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I think something like Jeff Teague (sign and trade) and Lou Williams for Rondo and Bass would make sense for both teams (assuming Josh Smith and Atlanta worked something out).

That would make no sense for us.  Why would we do that?  We get worse at PG and pick up a small SG (6"1) that we don't need that is also coming off knee wurgery.
Because his idea of good value for Rajon Rondo is getting bad as fast as possible so we can get back into the lottery.
I actually like Jeff Teague a lot.  14.5/7.1 this year at 24 while shooting 38% from 3, 88% from the line.  His offense would open up the floor for everyone else and he has gotten better every single year and will only get better.  Williams is an excellent scorer with a great contract. 

That is good value for Rondo, no matter what you guys think.

Very similar trade to the one I wanted to do last year i.e. Rondo for Conley and Mayo.  Everyone said the same thing about Conley that they are saying about Teague and Conley then took another jump.  Teague will take that jump.

Mayo and Conley aren't worth Rondo.

Not that it really matters at this point, but this is a classic homer view of Rondo. Getting two solid young starters for Rondo is as good as the Cs will ever do.

They will never get one 'equal' player in return, because despite his flash and gaudy stats, Rondo can't score consistently or shoot FTs in the 4th Q.

I'd say it's the classic realistic view of Rondo. It's true Rondo's not much of a free throw shooter, it's equally true that when he's healthy he's one of the best playoff performers in the league. Those "gaudy stats" have a much bigger impact on games than you think.
Rondo has some great playoff games no doubt, but he also some atrociously bad games.  No one ever talks about the bad games, you know when Rondo goes 4 of 12 without taking a single foul shot in a 1 point loss to the Sixers.  Or how about the 6 of 17, again without taking a single foul shot in a 1 point loss to the Hawks.  Or how about the 4 of 14 in the 7 point loss to the Sixers.  Or the 3 of 15 game against the Heat (which Boston won).  Those are just from last year.  And sure he had the monster 44 point game (in the game 2 loss) and lots of other quality games.  The problem with Rondo though is that consistency.  Even when he turns it up a notch in the playoffs, he still has the down right awful games that cost Boston playoff victories as much as gets them wins in the monster games. 

A lesser talented, but more consistent player as well as some other value is a good trade for Rondo.  A player that even if the shot isn't going can still get to the line and hit the foul shots, would be valuable.  When Rondo is on he is on, but he is also off a lot more than most on this board want to acknowledge and when he is off, he is way off and has nothing to fall back on.

You'd prefer the more consistent Jeff Teague?  Jeff Teague who shot 33% or worse in three of the six playoff games his Hawks played in their series loss to the Celtics last year. 

Sure, like Jeff Teague, and everyone else in the league, Rondo has some bad games (do I need to remind you of how Lebron James played in the last three games of the 2010 series against the Celtics?),  but Jeff Teague doesn't have the ability, like Rondo, to take over games and have transcendent performances.  That's why Rondo is much, much better than a nice player like Jeff Teague. 

You can call Jeff Teague "consistent" because when he's bad, he's not much worse than what anybody expects out of his talent level, but you are absolutely kidding yourself if you think he has anywhere near the value to his team as somebody with the talent level of Rajon Rondo.
Teague was in his third year.  Need I remind you what Rondo looked like in the playoffs in his third year.  Teague has significantly improved this year.  I would expect a jump from him this year and yet another leap next year (look at his progressions).

17/10/10? You're expecting Teague to play at that level some time in the near future? Let me know when that happens.

« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2013, 11:53:55 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Teague is playing nice ball lately....

Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA
Jeff Teague has gone for at least 20 points and 8 dimes in seven of Atlanta's last nine games. Upping his offseason price.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)