Author Topic: Who Would You Realistically Deal Rajon Rondo For?  (Read 15727 times)

Re: Who Would You Realistically Deal Rajon Rondo For?
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2013, 11:09:26 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
A good young big man and a serviceable starting point guard.

I wonder what it would take to get Greg Monroe from Detroit. They have Drummond now, so might be willing to give him up for the right package.

They have future plans of moving Monroe to PF, so it would probably take a Monroe-Drummond lineup being a failure.  The main concern is probably that Monroe will become a defensive liability against someone like a smaller, faster perimeter-oriented stretch 4.  So, it would take Monroe looking bad against PFs like Brandon Bass, basically.

The other possibility would be Kanter. No way would Utah give up Favors, but I think they would probably give up Kanter with the right package involving Rondo.

« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2013, 11:33:13 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
A good young big man and a serviceable starting point guard.

I wonder what it would take to get Greg Monroe from Detroit. They have Drummond now, so might be willing to give him up for the right package.

They have future plans of moving Monroe to PF, so it would probably take a Monroe-Drummond lineup being a failure.  The main concern is probably that Monroe will become a defensive liability against someone like a smaller, faster perimeter-oriented stretch 4.  So, it would take Monroe looking bad against PFs like Brandon Bass, basically.

The other possibility would be Kanter. No way would Utah give up Favors, but I think they would probably give up Kanter with the right package involving Rondo.

The right package would probably include a lottery pick that the Celtics don't have and that Ainge wouldn't (and should't) give up if he had it.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2013, 01:15:09 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'd be okay with trading Rondo for a package centered around any of the following players:

- LeBron James
- Kevin Durant
- Chris Paul
- Derrick Rose
- Tony Parker
- Brook Lopez
- Dwyane Wade
- James Harden
- Carmelo Anthony
- Blake Griffin
- Russell Westbrook
- Kyrie Irving
- Kobe
- Andre Drummond
- Chris Bosh
- Anthony Davis
- Demarcus Cousins
- Lamarcus Aldridge
- Stephen Curry
- Greg Monroe
- Dwight Howard
- Al Horford
- Marc Gasol
- Serge Ibaka
- Jrue Holiday
- Kevin Love
- Paul George
- Damian Lillard
- John Wall
- Derrick Favors

Possible I missed one or two.  I just went down the list of PER leaders.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2013, 04:00:24 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Kyrie Irving

« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2013, 06:38:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
I think something like Jeff Teague (sign and trade) and Lou Williams for Rondo and Bass would make sense for both teams (assuming Josh Smith and Atlanta worked something out).

That would make no sense for us.  Why would we do that?  We get worse at PG and pick up a small SG (6"1) that we don't need that is also coming off knee wurgery.
Because his idea of good value for Rajon Rondo is getting bad as fast as possible so we can get back into the lottery.
I actually like Jeff Teague a lot.  14.5/7.1 this year at 24 while shooting 38% from 3, 88% from the line.  His offense would open up the floor for everyone else and he has gotten better every single year and will only get better.  Williams is an excellent scorer with a great contract. 

That is good value for Rondo, no matter what you guys think.

Very similar trade to the one I wanted to do last year i.e. Rondo for Conley and Mayo.  Everyone said the same thing about Conley that they are saying about Teague and Conley then took another jump.  Teague will take that jump.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 06:43:53 AM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2013, 07:50:09 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I think something like Jeff Teague (sign and trade) and Lou Williams for Rondo and Bass would make sense for both teams (assuming Josh Smith and Atlanta worked something out).

That would make no sense for us.  Why would we do that?  We get worse at PG and pick up a small SG (6"1) that we don't need that is also coming off knee wurgery.
Because his idea of good value for Rajon Rondo is getting bad as fast as possible so we can get back into the lottery.
I actually like Jeff Teague a lot.  14.5/7.1 this year at 24 while shooting 38% from 3, 88% from the line.  His offense would open up the floor for everyone else and he has gotten better every single year and will only get better.  Williams is an excellent scorer with a great contract. 

Very similar trade to the one I wanted to do last year i.e. Rondo for Conley and Mayo.  Everyone said the same thing about Conley that they are saying about Teague and Conley then took another jump.  Teague will take that jump.

That's two mediocre players for one superstar. We don't even get a pick or something? Would the Clippers takes those bums for Chris Paul ? Of course not.
Amazing how undervalued the kid is by people who watch him regularly.

For me, something like DeMarcus Cousins + Sacramento's lottery pick would be a good return.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2013, 08:37:09 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

That's two mediocre players for one superstar. We don't even get a pick or something? Would the Clippers takes those bums for Chris Paul ? Of course not.
Amazing how undervalued the kid is by people who watch him regularly.

For me, something like DeMarcus Cousins + Sacramento's lottery pick would be a good return.
I think that's a better starting point.  It would take an established superstar OR an All-star with another high-level talent OR at minimum 2-3 really top level prospects.  Cousins at this point is just a prospect in my opinion because he's yet to show the maturity or drive to win. 

I'd rather keep Rondo than trade him, especially since I don't see a deal out there that will guarantee a title this year which would be the only reason to trade him

« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2013, 08:56:57 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
You guys are insane.  Sacramento won't even trade Cousins for Rondo let alone adding a lottery pick.  The thread wants realistic trades, not total nonsense that just won't happen.  It's fine if you don't want to trade Rondo, but having a starting point that is so far from reality takes realism totally out of the equation.

« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2013, 09:25:42 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
You guys are insane.  Sacramento won't even trade Cousins for Rondo let alone adding a lottery pick.  The thread wants realistic trades, not total nonsense that just won't happen.  It's fine if you don't want to trade Rondo, but having a starting point that is so far from reality takes realism totally out of the equation.
and you're insane if your lowball value on Rondo is anywhere near acceptable.

« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2013, 09:34:04 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I think something realistic would be a young and pretty unproven big plus filler to match contracts (if needed).

Something like Larry Sanders, Andre Drummond, Meyers Leonard or Enes Kanter. You'd have to go after someone with promise that has yet to be fulfilled, where a rival GM takes the sure thing in Rondo in exchange for potential that may or may not be reached in a big man.

Either that or a recent lottery pick like Harrison Barnes, that similarly shows promise, but has a few years to go to be able to reach it.

« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2013, 09:37:23 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Mayo and Conley aren't worth Rondo.

« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2013, 09:41:41 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
As others have said if rondo is traded it should be for a young athletic big. This is by fare the toughest position to fill in the nba. Before his injury I was hoping for a trade built around rondo for Noel.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2013, 10:12:57 AM »

Offline LEHGOCELTICS

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
A big or the number one draft pick in the upcoming draft -- AKA Mr. Nerlens Noel.

all in for r rondo all in for r rondo all in for r rondo all in for r rondo all in for r rondo

« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2013, 10:18:06 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
As others have said if rondo is traded it should be for a young athletic big. This is by fare the toughest position to fill in the nba. Before his injury I was hoping for a trade built around rondo for Noel.
so you don't want to trade Rondo then because the celtics are not getting a young athletic big that has shown any kind of porential for Rondo.  Flawed point guards that can't shoot and haven't shown real improvement in years don't have great value.

« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2013, 10:33:58 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
so you don't want to trade Rondo then because the celtics are not getting a young athletic big that has shown any kind of porential for Rondo.  Flawed point guards that can't shoot and haven't shown real improvement in years don't have great value.

Aside from the ridiculous notion that Rondo hasn't shown any improvement, it all boils down to whether you think it's more important that Rondo's a dominant player in the postseason or that he has flaws in his game.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 10:50:26 AM by BballTim »