Author Topic: Who Would You Realistically Deal Rajon Rondo For?  (Read 15733 times)

Re: Who Would You Realistically Deal Rajon Rondo For?
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2013, 06:35:59 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think something like Jeff Teague (sign and trade) and Lou Williams for Rondo and Bass would make sense for both teams (assuming Josh Smith and Atlanta worked something out).

That would make no sense for us.  Why would we do that?  We get worse at PG and pick up a small SG (6"1) that we don't need that is also coming off knee wurgery.
Because his idea of good value for Rajon Rondo is getting bad as fast as possible so we can get back into the lottery.

« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2013, 08:22:22 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
For me I would move him for a guy who can both help us win now and be a foundational piece for the future. Some on here might be better for the future then winning now, but they would still be helpful. Some I also think would help us win now more but would not be as great for the future because of age.

Straight up I would realistically consider moving Rondo for each of the following:

LeBron
Durant
Howard
Paul
Rose
Westbrook
Love
Parker
Irving
Griffin
D-Will
Paul George
Carmelo
Wade
Harden
Aldridge
Anthony Davis

There are a number of packages I would consider moving him for, but that's too much to get into.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2013, 08:23:49 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
you would move rondo for max contract fat boy deron williams? hilarious

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2013, 08:43:36 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
you would move rondo for max contract fat boy deron williams? hilarious

Yes I would realistically consider it.

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2013, 08:47:42 PM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
Kyrie swap would be a steal

« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2013, 09:07:57 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Kyrie swap would be a steal

Kyrie isn't going anywhere.  You could offer Cleveland the moon and they wouldn't trade him.  He is the new face of their franchise.

And as far as the Jeff Teague and Lou Williams trade for Rondo goes.  That is the worst trade I have ever heard of.  Giving away a top 5 PG for garbage/expiring contracts is just dumb.  We better be getting a CONFIRMED top 3 pick as well if we are moving Rondo for that kind of hot garbage.

« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2013, 09:14:11 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Ainge seems to have a ridiculously high price tag for Rondo (even when injured)so this prevents any realistic moves in my opinion.

Or, Ainge has a realistic price tag and all realistic moves fail to bring back appropriate value.
I dunno, but asking for Dwight Howard when the your PG is injured is kinda ridiculous. Even if Rondo is healthy, most don't trade bigs for small. Doesn't really makes sense for the Lakers(and I despise them) at all in my opinion. Also he wanted a Melo (the Denver-NY trade) type of haul. Again that is quite ridiculous if Rondo is injured and questionable for next season. Most trades teams would do for Rondo, Ainge seems to scoff at.

The only way it makes sense for the Lakers to trade Dwight Howard is if he says there is no way he will return to the team.  Arguably, Rondo in that case is more than the Lakers deserve and only makes sense from the Celtics' perspective if that were the only way to make a trade work under the salary cap.

Since teams sometimes overpay, it makes sense for Ainge to shoot for a high goal.  It's a stupid strategy for a GM to try to make fair, even trades.  You might end up there as a compromise, but it's bad negotiating to start out with a moderate demand.
Yes, but the Lakers rather take that risk their own selves which is why they are adamant about not trading Dwight at this point. My point is, though, Rondo could have already been traded, but I think Ainge hikes the price up beyond what a team is realistically wanting to give up. And it's not just Rondo (but Pierce, Ray, etc.).

In a negotiation, Ainge should start by asking for more than a team wants to give up.  Sometimes they cave and increase how much they are willing to trade.  Sometimes they are stupid and are willing to give up way more than Ainge thought they would.  If you want a team to give up a first round pick, you start by asking them to give you two, not by asking for a second round pick.

My point, though, is that the problem is not that Ainge is asking for too much, it's that other teams aren't willing to give up enough to justify a Rondo trade from the Celtics perspective.  There are no mutually beneficial trades out there.  Rondo's contract is too nice for there to be any salary cap reason for the Celtics to make a deal for less than an All-Star talent.  So, for a deal to go down, you need another team willing to dump a superior talent for salary cap reasons or because they are making a mistake in talent evaluation.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2013, 09:37:42 PM »

Offline celticsleyte

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
I am a big fan of Rondo but would probably consider twelve guys on that list.

So if I am GM Rondo probably never gets traded.

« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2013, 09:47:06 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
For me I would move him for a guy who can both help us win now and be a foundational piece for the future. Some on here might be better for the future then winning now, but they would still be helpful. Some I also think would help us win now more but would not be as great for the future because of age.
This is a good list to consider.

Straight up I would realistically consider moving Rondo for each of the following:

LeBron    yes
Durant    yes
Howard    yes
Paul      yes 
Rose      yes
Westbrook no
Love      no
Parker    no
Irving    yes
Griffin   yes
D-Will    no
Paul George yes
Carmelo   no
Wade      no
Harden    yes
Aldridge  yes
Anthony Davis yes

...and maybe a top 3 pick most years. 

« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2013, 10:25:57 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
A good young big man and a serviceable starting point guard.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2013, 10:36:11 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I wonder what it would take to get Greg Monroe from Detroit. They have Drummond now, so might be willing to give him up for the right package.

« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2013, 10:46:00 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Ainge seems to have a ridiculously high price tag for Rondo (even when injured)so this prevents any realistic moves in my opinion.

Or, Ainge has a realistic price tag and all realistic moves fail to bring back appropriate value.
I dunno, but asking for Dwight Howard when the your PG is injured is kinda ridiculous. Even if Rondo is healthy, most don't trade bigs for small. Doesn't really makes sense for the Lakers(and I despise them) at all in my opinion. Also he wanted a Melo (the Denver-NY trade) type of haul. Again that is quite ridiculous if Rondo is injured and questionable for next season. Most trades teams would do for Rondo, Ainge seems to scoff at.

Just to b clear, the Dwight for Rondo was pre injury. It's actually not that bad of a trade for the Lakers if they are convinced Dwight isn't coming back.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2013, 10:53:47 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I wonder what it would take to get Greg Monroe from Detroit. They have Drummond now, so might be willing to give him up for the right package.

They have future plans of moving Monroe to PF, so it would probably take a Monroe-Drummond lineup being a failure.  The main concern is probably that Monroe will become a defensive liability against someone like a smaller, faster perimeter-oriented stretch 4.  So, it would take Monroe looking bad against PFs like Brandon Bass, basically.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2013, 11:04:35 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
This is a good list to consider.

LeBron    yes
Durant    yes
Howard    yes
Paul      yes 
Rose      yes
Westbrook no
Love      no
Parker    no
Irving    yes
Griffin   yes
D-Will    no
Paul George yes
Carmelo   no
Wade      no
Harden    yes
Aldridge  yes
Anthony Davis yes

...and maybe a top 3 pick most years.

Why I would consider the NOs and this is based on Rondo pre-injury.

Wade is a much better win now player. He simply looks like a number one again and him along with Pierce, Green, KG, etc. would make us very dangerous. He would fit perfectly because he is dynamite with the ball, but has also improved a great deal off the ball (and its not like he was ever bad it). I for one was wrong about his decline and impending demise.

Carmelo is basically the same reasons as Wade. He is a number one go to guy that can score at will. He can go H2H with anyone. Can also play with and off the ball very well.

Deron Williams has not looked good this season based on his previous level of play. How much is due to his ankle injuries? I would consider Williams b/c he brings more of a balance of scoring and creating for others.

I really like Love's fit with our front line. His rebounding would be amazing but his passing inside would be excellent with KG. I could see us moving the ball like C-Web's Kings. He is also someone that I think is a foundational player.

Westbrook intrigues me because he is so explosive and would be an interesting fit with the style of play we currently have. I also would love to see him in our locker room. OKC doesn't have the same veteran presence we do. I think our organization could be better at helping him harness his ability.

Last Parker was the hardest one. It's more win now. I see how he looks like a MVP with the Spurs and believe it could translate flawlessly to this team.

I am saying I would strongly consider a straight up swap, but that it's no brainer that I would.

« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2013, 11:06:12 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!

Just to b clear, the Dwight for Rondo was pre injury. It's actually not that bad of a trade for the Lakers if they are convinced Dwight isn't coming back.

Depends what Nash would return. Maxing out Kobe's last couple years has to be a high priority. Not the highest, but it's up there.