Author Topic: Who Would You Realistically Deal Rajon Rondo For?  (Read 15717 times)

Re: Who Would You Realistically Deal Rajon Rondo For?
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2013, 04:50:01 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
A top ten player or someone who has the potential to be a top ten player someday.

Someone who is youngish. Under 30. Preferably 27 or under.
so basically you would trade rondo for rondo

A lateral move, but a much better trade than most of the "trade Rondo" proposals. Still, I'd want a draft pick to come back with him.

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2013, 04:57:30 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Taking our current roster into consideration, at a quick glance I'd go after someone like Al Jefferson or Al Horford, with the assumption that we're in win now mode, and KG returns next year.

Give me some Al!

Lol

Big Al is a loser and doesn't fit our current roster a lick

Rondo would be a loser too in Minnesota and Utah.

proof? I'm sure he'd make a bigger impact then fat albert and make you regret trading him

I'm confident he would still be an all star and and put up better statistics and wouldn't be ok with losing
Jefferson is fine with losing and will never sniff an all star game..he's slow, plays no defense, can't jump....sounds like an awesome fit

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2013, 04:59:28 PM »

Offline Induna

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I'd love to say John Wall and a big (Nene oe Emeka Okafor) for Rondo and a piece or two including a pick. Doubt Washington is having this but Wall is wasted there.

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2013, 05:06:46 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
I think something like Jeff Teague (sign and trade) and Lou Williams for Rondo and Bass would make sense for both teams (assuming Josh Smith and Atlanta worked something out).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2013, 05:11:10 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I think something like Jeff Teague (sign and trade) and Lou Williams for Rondo and Bass would make sense for both teams (assuming Josh Smith and Atlanta worked something out).

It would made absolutely no sense for us.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2013, 05:15:11 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Sounds great if we're going for a high draft pick.

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2013, 05:25:45 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Do not trade Rondo.

You are crazy if you trade him. The roster we have right now is designed for Rondo to run.

We are moving away from the halfcourt skill set of the Big 3 era into a more uptempo style of offense.

Rondo can do both, but he can't not the afore mentioned with 3 aging (now 2) skilled players.

Trading Rondo now would be a huge mistake.

It depends if Rondo "changes" so to speak. Danny Ainge had a pretty good point at the beginning of the year; he said that a big problem with the team's stagnating offense was that the players completely depended on Rondo. That could be Doc's system, Rondo's presence or a little of both. He said when Jeff Green used to rip down rebounds for example, he'd immediately look for Rondo instead of pushing it up. He offered a suggestion: for Rondo to sprint up the floor when his forwards snatched the rebound, forcing the rebounder to push the ball up the floor and find Rondo in stride rather than have him race down the court and leave his teammates in the dust.

This is an easy suggestion and one that, at first glance, you would think Rondo would accept. As hard as it is to believe that a guy who passes all the time is selfish and cares too much about stats, that may be who Rondo is. That makes this style of play, which you claim was catered for Rondo and should therefore work, inoperable.

Most of the time, when one of our guys get a rebound, you can see Rondo running up the court while signaling for an outlet pass. Most of the time the transition failed to materialize it was due to the lack of an outlet pass, not because Rondo slowed the play down.

You can preach "don't always believe what you hear," but the fact of the matter is that Danny has admitted trying to cash in Rondo for other -- sometimes better pieces -- and I think he tried to this year as well. That says a lot regarding his belief that the system will work in real life.

The fact of the matter is that Danny discussed trading Rondo for Paul. Everything else is just rumor.

For your first disagreement, understand that you are disagreeing not just with me but with Danny Ainge. That doesn't necessarily mean you're wrong, but you're arguing with a guy (DA) who breathes Celtics 24/7, literally. I personally just plain disagree with your analysis. Your point that Rondo would sometimes be ahead of the outlet isn't exactly wrong, but the point is that because of the players' dependence on him, they would just stand around even if he was already halfway up the court. Either Danny sees something fans don't have the ability to see that makes such a conundrum the fault of Rondo, or it just means that the system and culture he put together this offseason is heavily flawed and therefore he wants to move Rondo for a different centerpiece. Overall though, even if your analysis is correct in that Rondo tried as hard as could to incorporate teammates in the running game, or more accurately that Jeff Green not engaging the fast break before heaving it up to Rondo is not the fault of Rondo, it still means that the system doesn't work. I have to think doing a complete overhaul of such a system without trading Rondo would waste a great many years of Rondo's career and value, and we'd be better suited to trade him for at least equal value of different sorts.

Lastly, your "it's only rumors" claim is just lame. Sure, there have been some bogus reports from guys like Sherrod and Broussard that don't make sense, but only so many can be leaked from credible guys like Ken Berger, Woj, etc. without at least a handful of them being true. Again, that doesn't mean Ainge is right about Rondo, but it does imply that he's trying to deal him and therefore makes the "who do you want?" discussion valid.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2013, 05:32:32 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
not sure I would even trade Rondo but if I did I would want a package built around a young big with all-star potential and some draft picks.

Something along the lines of Greg Monroe/Jose Calderon/draft picks would catch my ear but not sure Detroit would consider.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2013, 05:35:46 PM »

Offline Accension13

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5
It's really hard to get value for Rondo because over half the teams in the league already have good pg's. Their pg's may not be as good as Rondo,  but he may end up costing a team significantly for what maybe a modest upgrade. Most of the teams that don't have pg's may not value Rondo or they don't have anything of value to trade for him

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2013, 05:37:30 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Whatever I can get

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2013, 05:45:24 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Do not trade Rondo.

You are crazy if you trade him. The roster we have right now is designed for Rondo to run.

We are moving away from the halfcourt skill set of the Big 3 era into a more uptempo style of offense.

Rondo can do both, but he can't not the afore mentioned with 3 aging (now 2) skilled players.

Trading Rondo now would be a huge mistake.

It depends if Rondo "changes" so to speak. Danny Ainge had a pretty good point at the beginning of the year; he said that a big problem with the team's stagnating offense was that the players completely depended on Rondo. That could be Doc's system, Rondo's presence or a little of both. He said when Jeff Green used to rip down rebounds for example, he'd immediately look for Rondo instead of pushing it up. He offered a suggestion: for Rondo to sprint up the floor when his forwards snatched the rebound, forcing the rebounder to push the ball up the floor and find Rondo in stride rather than have him race down the court and leave his teammates in the dust.

This is an easy suggestion and one that, at first glance, you would think Rondo would accept. As hard as it is to believe that a guy who passes all the time is selfish and cares too much about stats, that may be who Rondo is. That makes this style of play, which you claim was catered for Rondo and should therefore work, inoperable.

Most of the time, when one of our guys get a rebound, you can see Rondo running up the court while signaling for an outlet pass. Most of the time the transition failed to materialize it was due to the lack of an outlet pass, not because Rondo slowed the play down.

You can preach "don't always believe what you hear," but the fact of the matter is that Danny has admitted trying to cash in Rondo for other -- sometimes better pieces -- and I think he tried to this year as well. That says a lot regarding his belief that the system will work in real life.

The fact of the matter is that Danny discussed trading Rondo for Paul. Everything else is just rumor.

For your first disagreement, understand that you are disagreeing not just with me but with Danny Ainge. That doesn't necessarily mean you're wrong, but you're arguing with a guy (DA) who breathes Celtics 24/7, literally. I personally just plain disagree with your analysis. Your point that Rondo would sometimes be ahead of the outlet isn't exactly wrong, but the point is that because of the players' dependence on him, they would just stand around even if he was already halfway up the court. Either Danny sees something fans don't have the ability to see that makes such a conundrum the fault of Rondo, or it just means that the system and culture he put together this offseason is heavily flawed and therefore he wants to move Rondo for a different centerpiece. Overall though, even if your analysis is correct in that Rondo tried as hard as could to incorporate teammates in the running game, or more accurately that Jeff Green not engaging the fast break before heaving it up to Rondo is not the fault of Rondo, it still means that the system doesn't work. I have to think doing a complete overhaul of such a system without trading Rondo would waste a great many years of Rondo's career and value, and we'd be better suited to trade him for at least equal value of different sorts.

First of all Danny isn't blaming Rondo for the lack of a running game, he's talking about Rondo's teammates waiting to give Rondo the ball instead of pushing the ball up court. This isn't an isolated situation, players that come onto the Celts have been deferring to the stars for quite a while and Doc's discussed it a number of times about a number of players.

Secondly, when you talk about Rondo having to "change" you need to keep in mind that Rondo's been very successful in transition over the years. Go back and watch the 2010 playoffs, for example. Rondo carved up the opposing teams when he got the ball in the open court. He still does. In the last game or two before Rondo's injury I remember the announcers gushing about Rondo being a "one man fast break" and one of the most dangerous players in the league in transition. It's not like Rondo doesn't have *years* of excelling in the system that you claim he needs to change his game for.

Lastly, your "it's only rumors" claim is just lame. Sure, there have been some bogus reports from guys like Sherrod and Broussard that don't make sense, but only so many can be leaked from credible guys like Ken Berger, Woj, etc. without at least a handful of them being true. Again, that doesn't mean Ainge is right about Rondo, but it does imply that he's trying to deal him and therefore makes the "who do you want?" discussion valid.

What's just lame is your claiming that Danny's admitted to trying to trade Rondo and blaming me for not believing every anti-Rondo rumor when you realize that your claim was nonsense. Who has Danny admitted trying to trade Rondo for? In most of the cases you're probably thinking of the "admission" probably went like "we haven't had any such discussions and aren't trying to trade Rondo".

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2013, 05:47:28 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
It's really hard to get value for Rondo because over half the teams in the league already have good pg's. Their pg's may not be as good as Rondo,  but he may end up costing a team significantly for what maybe a modest upgrade. Most of the teams that don't have pg's may not value Rondo or they don't have anything of value to trade for him

People who want to trade Rondo should re-watch last year's playoffs, or the 2010 playoffs before the middle of the Orlando series. If you're not getting back someone that will perform at at least that level you lose the trade.

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2013, 06:06:43 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning
Trade Rondo for a big who can rebound, block shots and run the floor.
Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2013, 06:07:24 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

That would make no sense for us.  Why would we do that?  We get worse at PG and pick up a small SG (6"1) that we don't need that is also coming off knee wurgery. 

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2013, 06:22:28 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Trade Rondo for a big who can rebound, block shots and run the floor.

I'd rather see if we can find a big who can rebound, block shots and run the floor to team up with Rondo. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson