Author Topic: Who Would You Realistically Deal Rajon Rondo For?  (Read 15746 times)

Re: Who Would You Realistically Deal Rajon Rondo For?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 04:16:33 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
A top ten player or someone who has the potential to be a top ten player someday.

Someone who is youngish. Under 30. Preferably 27 or under.

So, you mean for a different 27 or under top ten player?  Why not just keep the one we have?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 04:23:01 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Ainge seems to have a ridiculously high price tag for Rondo (even when injured)so this prevents any realistic moves in my opinion.

Or, Ainge has a realistic price tag and all realistic moves fail to bring back appropriate value.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 04:28:42 PM »

Offline dasani

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 32
Ainge seems to have a ridiculously high price tag for Rondo (even when injured)so this prevents any realistic moves in my opinion.

Or, Ainge has a realistic price tag and all realistic moves fail to bring back appropriate value.
I dunno, but asking for Dwight Howard when the your PG is injured is kinda ridiculous. Even if Rondo is healthy, most don't trade bigs for small. Doesn't really makes sense for the Lakers(and I despise them) at all in my opinion. Also he wanted a Melo (the Denver-NY trade) type of haul. Again that is quite ridiculous if Rondo is injured and questionable for next season. Most trades teams would do for Rondo, Ainge seems to scoff at.

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2013, 04:30:51 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
A quality young big, such as Cousins. There are several who meet that criteria.

I would also work hard once Rondo's health is confirmed to move him. Can't rebuild successfully around his style of play.

Yes, the lack of success the team's had with Rondo's style of play over the last 3 years (game 7 of the finals and game 7 of the ecf when he was healthy) is alarming.

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2013, 04:35:59 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Do not trade Rondo.

You are crazy if you trade him. The roster we have right now is designed for Rondo to run.

We are moving away from the halfcourt skill set of the Big 3 era into a more uptempo style of offense.

Rondo can do both, but he can't not the afore mentioned with 3 aging (now 2) skilled players.

Trading Rondo now would be a huge mistake.

It depends if Rondo "changes" so to speak. Danny Ainge had a pretty good point at the beginning of the year; he said that a big problem with the team's stagnating offense was that the players completely depended on Rondo. That could be Doc's system, Rondo's presence or a little of both. He said when Jeff Green used to rip down rebounds for example, he'd immediately look for Rondo instead of pushing it up. He offered a suggestion: for Rondo to sprint up the floor when his forwards snatched the rebound, forcing the rebounder to push the ball up the floor and find Rondo in stride rather than have him race down the court and leave his teammates in the dust.

This is an easy suggestion and one that, at first glance, you would think Rondo would accept. As hard as it is to believe that a guy who passes all the time is selfish and cares too much about stats, that may be who Rondo is. That makes this style of play, which you claim was catered for Rondo and should therefore work, inoperable.

You can preach "don't always believe what you hear," but the fact of the matter is that Danny has admitted trying to cash in Rondo for other -- sometimes better pieces -- and I think he tried to this year as well. That says a lot regarding his belief that the system will work in real life.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 04:36:24 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
A top ten player or someone who has the potential to be a top ten player someday.

Someone who is youngish. Under 30. Preferably 27 or under.
so basically you would trade rondo for rondo

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 04:41:10 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I dunno, but asking for Dwight Howard when the your PG is injured is kinda ridiculous. Even if Rondo is healthy, most don't trade bigs for small. Doesn't really makes sense for the Lakers(and I despise them) at all in my opinion. Also he wanted a Melo (the Denver-NY trade) type of haul. Again that is quite ridiculous if Rondo is injured and questionable for next season. Most trades teams would do for Rondo, Ainge seems to scoff at.

The only way it makes sense for the Lakers to trade Dwight Howard is if he says there is no way he will return to the team.  Arguably, Rondo in that case is more than the Lakers deserve and only makes sense from the Celtics' perspective if that were the only way to make a trade work under the salary cap.

Since teams sometimes overpay, it makes sense for Ainge to shoot for a high goal.  It's a stupid strategy for a GM to try to make fair, even trades.  You might end up there as a compromise, but it's bad negotiating to start out with a moderate demand.

"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 04:42:21 PM »

Offline dasani

• Derrick White
You can preach "don't always believe what you hear," but the fact of the matter is that Danny has admitted trying to cash in Rondo for other -- sometimes better pieces -- and I think he tried to this year as well. That says a lot regarding his belief that the system will work in real life.

This is DA though, he has "tried" to trade everybody. But a lot of this is to seek what the player's value is on the market.

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2013, 04:46:03 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would not trade him aside from Westbrook and Chris Paul.    I do not see us trading him.   I see us using him while we rebuild and transition into a running team.  If KG retires and if RR can talk Smith into signing for Jeff Green money then you have three or four pieces to make another run with RR, JSmith, JGreen and Bradley.  Yes, odds will be long but better than a total rebuild.

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2013, 04:46:19 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Do not trade Rondo.

You are crazy if you trade him. The roster we have right now is designed for Rondo to run.

We are moving away from the halfcourt skill set of the Big 3 era into a more uptempo style of offense.

Rondo can do both, but he can't not the afore mentioned with 3 aging (now 2) skilled players.

It depends if Rondo "changes" so to speak. Danny Ainge had a pretty good point at the beginning of the year; he said that a big problem with the team's stagnating offense was that the players completely depended on Rondo. That could be Doc's system, Rondo's presence or a little of both. He said when Jeff Green used to rip down rebounds for example, he'd immediately look for Rondo instead of pushing it up. He offered a suggestion: for Rondo to sprint up the floor when his forwards snatched the rebound, forcing the rebounder to push the ball up the floor and find Rondo in stride rather than have him race down the court and leave his teammates in the dust.

This is an easy suggestion and one that, at first glance, you would think Rondo would accept. As hard as it is to believe that a guy who passes all the time is selfish and cares too much about stats, that may be who Rondo is. That makes this style of play, which you claim was catered for Rondo and should therefore work, inoperable.

I'd like to see those quotes from Danny where he has admitted "trying to cash in Rondo for other--sometimes better pieces."

I may have missed some, but most of the quotes that I've seen from Ainge regarding Rondo trade rumors are ones where he is denying them.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2013, 04:46:43 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Taking our current roster into consideration, at a quick glance I'd go after someone like Al Jefferson or Al Horford, with the assumption that we're in win now mode, and KG returns next year.

Give me some Al!

Lol

Big Al is a loser and doesn't fit our current roster a lick

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2013, 04:46:48 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
Chris paul...westbrook...not many others...Rondo is a great ball mover and handler...we already saw a few things that never happened to rondo...someone stealing the ball while we brought it up off the dribble....Rondo NEVER got picked from behind, or front...! Invented more passes than others, led in assists..and no, it isn't because we have better shoooters, there are MANY better shooting teams than the Celtics...so save that....

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2013, 04:47:12 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Do not trade Rondo.

Most of the time, when one of our guys get a rebound, you can see Rondo running up the court while signaling for an outlet pass. Most of the time the transition failed to materialize it was due to the lack of an outlet pass, not because Rondo slowed the play down.

The fact of the matter is that Danny discussed trading Rondo for Paul. Everything else is just rumor.

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2013, 04:48:04 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Taking our current roster into consideration, at a quick glance I'd go after someone like Al Jefferson or Al Horford, with the assumption that we're in win now mode, and KG returns next year.

Give me some Al!

Lol

Big Al is a loser and doesn't fit our current roster a lick

Rondo would be a loser too in Minnesota and Utah.

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2013, 04:48:22 PM »

Offline dasani

• Derrick White

The only way it makes sense for the Lakers to trade Dwight Howard is if he says there is no way he will return to the team.  Arguably, Rondo in that case is more than the Lakers deserve and only makes sense from the Celtics' perspective if that were the only way to make a trade work under the salary cap.

Since teams sometimes overpay, it makes sense for Ainge to shoot for a high goal.  It's a stupid strategy for a GM to try to make fair, even trades.  You might end up there as a compromise, but it's bad negotiating to start out with a moderate demand.
Yes, but the Lakers rather take that risk their own selves which is why they are adamant about not trading Dwight at this point. My point is, though, Rondo could have already been traded, but I think Ainge hikes the price up beyond what a team is realistically wanting to give up. And it's not just Rondo (but Pierce, Ray, etc.).