Author Topic: Who Would You Realistically Deal Rajon Rondo For?  (Read 15737 times)

Who Would You Realistically Deal Rajon Rondo For?
« on: February 24, 2013, 03:26:57 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
What realistic player(s) or package(s) would you deal Rondo for? Quick specification: I think Paul George is a good enough caliber player, with enough upside, to trade Rajon Rondo for. However, then Jeff Green comes into play. Do you trade him or play him at PF? Or do you play George at SG? If you do trade him, do the Pacers have enough to give back for both Green and Rondo in addition to George or would you have to bring in a third team? If you can't find a good deal for the two at all, and you don't want to play Green at PF or George at SG, then Paul George goes out the window as a possible exchange.

Here are my top three returns:

1) Rondo/JG/Bradley for CP3/Grant Hill; Rondo, in his current form, is far from enough to pry CP3 from LAC. However, Paul is a free agent, which poses risks for them. Rondo has a very affordable contract, which comes into play. The Jeff Green/Grant Hill swap is a monstrous win for LAC. Lastly, it looks to me like Eric Bledsoe is on the fringe of blowing up and therefore is a threat to leave because of finances. I would think Danny could coax them to take a poor man's Bledsoe in Bradley, giving them a core of Rondo/Bradley/Jeff Green/Blake/D. Jordan. I think in a few years they could certainly win a title with that, and they get to keep their picks, something that has become of huge value with today's CBA. We then get to start fresh with Chris Paul as our PG, shedding actual cap in Rondo/JG as well as a future cap hit in Bradley.

2) Rondo/JG/C. Lee for D. Howard/Earl Clark/Jodie Meeks.

3) Rondo for Greg Monroe/R. Stuckey/1st round pick; This one is more controversial. Danny said he wanted young players and picks for Rondo. This is an option that would be utilized if Pierce and Garnett quickly retire and Ainge decides to completely blow it up. If he doesn't retire, you'd trade the JET as well. Following this deal you'd have a young, solid backcourt, an excellent prospect in Monroe as well as a pretty good pick in Detroit's first rounder.

Discuss!

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

Re: Who Would You Realistically Deal Rajon Rondo For?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 03:31:45 PM »

Offline go11celtics

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 28
Trade deadline passed. Can't we put these threads on hold till at least the summer?

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 03:35:30 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
noone. you build around him to maximize his potential.

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 03:37:37 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Taking our current roster into consideration, at a quick glance I'd go after someone like Al Jefferson or Al Horford, with the assumption that we're in win now mode, and KG returns next year.

Give me some Al!

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 03:38:40 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
What realistic player(s) or package(s) would you deal Rondo for?

Not going to discuss specific players I want, but unless Rondo comes back from his injury and shows that he has lost it, I probably wouldn't consider trading him unless I get back a player I believe will be an All-Star sometime in the next three seasons.

In practice, that probably means the only realistic deal is as part of a sign-and-trade for a free agent who wants to leave his former team.  Chris Paul is pretty much assumed to be staying with the Clippers and all signs point to Dwight Howard being the kind of guy who doesn't want to leave that much money on the table to go somewhere other than the Lakers.

Still, my preference would be to hold off on any talk of trading Rondo until he actually plays some NBA games again.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 03:39:47 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Trade deadline passed. Can't we put these threads on hold till at least the summer?

Yeah. It's too late anyways.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 03:44:11 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
u want to deal Rondo AND Jeff AND Bradley?
um...I'll pass

You want to trade the future for what?

I wouldn't trade RR.

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 03:45:26 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
A quality young big, such as Cousins. There are several who meet that criteria.

I would also work hard once Rondo's health is confirmed to move him. Can't rebuild successfully around his style of play.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 03:49:27 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

Yeah. It's too late anyways.

What realistic player(s) or package(s) would you deal Rondo for?
Still, my preference would be to hold off on any talk of trading Rondo until he actually plays some NBA games again.

I think you guys are missing the point of the thread. I'm not suggesting we trade Rondo today, it could be this offseason, during next season, or next offseason. Also, assuming that we're in a win-now state of mind isn't necessarily the point either. There are some trades that I mentioned that allow us to still contend and there are others that blow up the team. The point is that DA seems to desire trading Rondo, and barring speculation of who will become stars and adequate trade partners within the next couple of years (for example saying we should trade him for a guy with tons of upside but no tangible game like Moe Harkless would be out of the question), I figured it would be interesting to see what a decent return would be in the eyes of Cs fans.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 03:50:37 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
A quality young big, such as Cousins. There are several who meet that criteria.

I would also work hard once Rondo's health is confirmed to move him. Can't rebuild successfully around his style of play.

It seems to me that we've already started rebuilding around his style of play.  I can't wait to see him get back and get a chance to be the leader of an up-tempo style team. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 03:54:56 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
A top ten player or someone who has the potential to be a top ten player someday.

Someone who is youngish. Under 30. Preferably 27 or under.

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 03:56:22 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513
Andre Drummond and Knight is what i would want for him

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 04:04:08 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
A top ten player or someone who has the potential to be a top ten player someday.

Someone who is youngish. Under 30. Preferably 27 or under.
Yup, you have to get either an old MVP/all-nba caliber guy. (KG when we got him Or a young guy who can get there.

The Nick Van Excel + High pick (which was to be CP3) for Paul Pierce type trade.

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 04:12:16 PM »

Offline dasani

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 32
Ainge seems to have a ridiculously high price tag for Rondo (even when injured)so this prevents any realistic moves in my opinion. Most teams that would want Rondo, would have stars that he would play along with. Most FOs don't see Rondo as the first option type. So realistically I see Rondo (and something other pieces) for Gasol (and maybe for some other piece) as a realistic option. You have to really figure how Rondo would fit into the other team, that's where the value lies.

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 04:16:01 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Do not trade Rondo.

You are crazy if you trade him. The roster we have right now is designed for Rondo to run.

We are moving away from the halfcourt skill set of the Big 3 era into a more uptempo style of offense.

Rondo can do both, but he can't not the afore mentioned with 3 aging (now 2) skilled players.

Trading Rondo now would be a huge mistake.