Author Topic: How did we get T Williams so cheap  (Read 5079 times)

Re: How the heck did we get T Williams
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 02:28:06 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
He seems like a good kid and a talented player to me.  I think we got ourselves a steal. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 02:28:49 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I heard him say in an interview how much it meant to him to get a second chance in the NBA. He also spoke on how tough it was playing in and living in China. It's not what he was saying but the tone of his voice. I think he learned something.

We got him because people have probably told him he was special all his life and he let that go to his head so he blew his chance in the NBA.

He also said in the interview "Doc told me that the keys to playing on this team are on the other side of that wall so I am just focused running through it every day"

Ladies and gentlemen fingers crossed but I think we have a player!

I am also extremely optimistic. Probably too much so.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 02:30:20 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
He's the type of player who have to give the ball to and let him go. In college he was a great playmaker, nice scorer, amazing athlete, and an above average defender.His rookie year they let him do that (with no help) and he had a decent statistical season. Everywhere else he's been the coach has forced him into a roll he doesn't belong in, or just cast him off. Doc, along with the veterans on this team, are the type of guys who want to give the ball to the new guy, they want to see him succeed...

I also think that this is Rick Pitino's apology to Boston.

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2013, 02:32:00 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think T-Will has long been considered one of those Tim Thomas / Lamar Odom types.  Talent to be a perennial All-Star, but the focus and drive isn't there.

Maybe he's learned his lesson.  Maybe not.  I guess we'll see with time.  But talent and physical ability have never been the problem.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2013, 03:12:23 AM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
Not saying Terrence will be as good but us Celtic fans have to remember how immature Rondo was. I'll never forget that line where Doc said "do you realize no one likes playing with you" when he was a rookie..of course Rondo got his head straight on, and he's awesome now, but who knows where he would be if he played in the situations that Terrence played in. That's why I really appreciate having Doc as a coach. He knows how to keep players in line and get them to work without resenting him. He can get guys to listen.

Terrence has shown that "feel" for the game..the feel that many Celtic fans got hyped up on when we saw Al Jefferson play, Rondo play, Pierce play (no one kill me..I'm not talking about skill or stats and such). I'm not basing it off of 2 games either haha. I remember a bit of him at the end of his rookie season. A rookie lottery pick putting up 14/7/6 for 2 months is no joke. I'm not going to go crazy and say he will turn into an all star for us, but I'm really hoping he can turn into a consistent and good player for us at the least.

hopefully he can put it together.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 03:26:57 AM by DarkAzcura »

Re: How did we get T Williams so cheap
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 10:21:57 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I can definitely see how he was miscast as a 2 and fell through the cracks.  The guy is a 1.  If you play him with another point guard you are kind of wasting what he does.

I think we didn't sign him this summer because his game doesn't match up well with Rondo.  You can't have two passing guards who aren't great shooters or there won't be any lanes open.

He, like a lot of NBA players, have to find the right fit.  This year we need him.  When Rondo comes back, I'm not sure if we keep him.

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 10:58:56 AM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
I just read his bio.

This guy was a lottery pick, and he has actually scored a triple double in the NBA. Now that cannot be chopped liver.

He is one of a few people that got three consecutive SI covers. How do you get three consecutive SI cover pics?

If this guy does not turn in around on this veteran laden high value team he will have a tough chance ever making it.

Go Celtics.

BrinG Darko back to be our enforcer and watch the Cs soar.

When young talented people have it easy, and don't develop a good work ethic, they tend to take things for granted. They don't work hard and they believe their hype. When he got to the NBA, he just wasn't prepared mentally. But give this guy credit, how many people are humble enough to go to China or take a lesser and start over. This kid is talented. If he works hard, he will be valuable.

And Yes, bring Darko back.

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 10:59:05 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
It is interesting to see Doc/Celtics deploying him more as a PG/ballhandler.  I never would have thought of him as that based on what I remembered of his previous NBA experience.  The Celtics have adopted a kind of no-PG (or PG-Less) approach to running the offense but you still need some one to handle the ball for certain situations and Williams seems very able to be that kind of PG.

I am not seeing the kind of player so far who is going to make a big difference but he is showing enough to kind of put us back together as a team and make up for the injuries.  We will be doubling down on the PG-less approach though but I actually don't mind that.

We still need to backfill for Sullinger and Collins but Williams and Jordan seem like they are going to be fine to fill the injury holes in the back court/wings.  I don't think it is realistic or even fair to expect much more.

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2013, 11:02:09 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
We most likely got him because he isn't that good.  I wouldn't get too excited about him just yet.

It's funny how people who probably never even dribbled a basketball and if they did the furthest they got was their local ymca team, can say a professional player is "not that good!" He had to be some sorta good to be picked 11th in the draft! Hell if he was the last pick in the draft he'd be considered good in my eyes. If he didnt get drafted but made an NBA team....he's good! "He's a headcase." What some call a headcase others chalk it up to immaturity, especially for someone as young as him. How can others talk about someone they don't even know? All I care about is whether or not he's helping us win ball games. End of story. IF he didn't stab, shoot, rape, or murder another human being he's simply another young man who made/makes mistakes that just so happens to have talent. Who am I to judge someone else's character or say how good they are when I'm WATCHING him on TV.

I suppose you are too!  ::)

Ok, I'll go on record and state that he's clearly a better player than I ever was.

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2013, 11:13:46 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Cheap because it's only a 10-day rental?
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2013, 11:17:19 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
He's got very good size for a PG (if he can play there - I'm not yet convinced) and a ton of athleticism.  Plenty of guys have had to go overseas to realize that the basketball world's sun doesn't rise and set around them.  Hopefully T-Will will be the next.

Having Jason Terry, the Godfather of Seattle basketball, as a mentor is going to help. Williams is going to have a very good chance to carve out a place for himself as an NBA PG on this team, which hasn't a healthy PG on the roster. 

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2013, 11:19:09 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
Question ... if he just happened to be a huge diamond in the rough and starts to explode, is there any way the Celtics could sign him to a long-term deal this year, or would he be guaranteed to hit free agency after this season anyway?  I'm thinking the latter, but just wanted to check.

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2013, 11:22:01 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
[ ] will make a major contribution to the Cs

• will make a major contribution to Walpole

:)
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2013, 11:26:14 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I heard him say in an interview how much it meant to him to get a second chance in the NBA. He also spoke on how tough it was playing in and living in China. It's not what he was saying but the tone of his voice. I think he learned something.

We got him because people have probably told him he was special all his life and he let that go to his head so he blew his chance in the NBA.

He also said in the interview "Doc told me that the keys to playing on this team are on the other side of that wall so I am just focused running through it every day"

Ladies and gentlemen fingers crossed but I think we have a player!

I am also extremely optimistic. Probably too much so.

I couldnt have been higher on t wills talent coming out of the draft and a few years after. Butafter so many goof ups you have to be wary. Gerald Green is a guy I look at who ALWAYS knew the right things to say, but rarely cared enough to execute them. I sincerely hope t wills not the same