Author Topic: Are we positionless, then?  (Read 777 times)

Are we positionless, then?
« on: February 24, 2013, 02:35:31 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Because I'm crazy confused

T-Will comes in here as a SG...good size to be a SF...but Celtics seem to want him to be a PG now.

How many positions does Jeff play? All? lol
how do these line ups work?
do you try starting T-Will? or is that unheard of for a 10 day?

Re: Are we positionless, then?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 02:38:40 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

T-Will comes in here as a SG...good size to be a SF...but Celtics seem to want him to be a PG now.

To some degree, I would say yes to the question in the title of this thread. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 02:41:21 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

10-day players have started before, but I don't want him starting.

I like the positionless style. Portland is also undersized (JJ, their center, is just as tall as Green) I would sit KG another day, but that's not happening.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 02:51:19 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Everything by committee.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 03:20:13 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
Not completely. I'd say its still guard wing big, although Green and Williams are straddling either side of wing. OTOH, it does feel that way, and I suspect it is driving Doc crazy.

Doc is a system coach and he's going to insist on sticking with that, defensively. To his credit he's left the "freedom offence" in place since Rondo went down and it seems to work, so far.

I do wonder what, if anything, Doc and Rondo are learning from all this. I wonder if Doc is seeing Twill as a Rondo lite, and will try to revert to PG centric offence.

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 03:56:58 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Not positionless by any means but we certianly have been playing PG-less since Rondo went down.  That is the real question; in today's NBA, do you need a traditional pass-first PG to be a top team.  I would say no you don't.

So first we went with Bradley who is kind of a PG but not really so we weren't straying too far from convention with Bradley.  Now we are expirimenting with a 6'-6" converted wing at "PG" and it looks like that is working OK too.

So where does that leave Rondo when he comes back?  He is still a top player but if the whole team has to change the way they play just so Rondo can dribble around and look for assists, I don't think that will be a good thing.

So then you ask if Rondo can adjust his game and I see problems there too because of his shootings issues.  If we continue to play well with this PG-Less line-up expect a lot of trade Rondo talk this off season.

Other than the PG philosophy, I don't see it as any big deal that some of the better players can play 2 or even 3 positions or perhaps a better way to say it is in different combinations (if you want to stay away from the position convention).