Poll

JGreen rising in Rondo's absence; Coincidence?

Yes, is pure Coincidence.  It was just a matter of time for JGreen.
11 (26.8%)
No,  Rondo was snubbing JGreen as he did RAllen at times
7 (17.1%)
No.  JGreen is getting more touches but has nothing to do with Rondo's absence
23 (56.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Poll - JGreen rising in Rondo's absence; Coincidence?  (Read 3458 times)

Poll - JGreen rising in Rondo's absence; Coincidence?
« on: February 24, 2013, 10:32:48 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146

Personally, I didn't think Rondo was trying to find JGreen.

What do you think?

Re: Poll - JGreen rising in Rondo's absence; Coincidence?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 10:35:17 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
There may be some of it, but are we to ignore how Green's play had started to vastly improve before Rondo went down?

An expanded role has made him more productive for certain, but I'm having a hard time pinning the rise of Green as a Rondo thing.

We're certainly looking for Green more, during the first two months of the season he barely got any touches, but that was a collective problem, not necessarily a Rondo problem on this particular regard.

Also, Green himself needed to assert himself better... so we can't ignore that either.

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 10:41:31 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
He could have been doing this even when Rondo was playing. So many times Rondo have found him open for three's and not draining it.

He could easily assert himself and go hard on the basket even if Rondo is playing.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 10:43:53 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Personally, I didn't think Rondo was trying to find JGreen.

What do you think?

I think some of that was also on Doc, who wasn't giving them really any plays to run for the new-generation guys.

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 10:47:02 AM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
Just about everyone has played better, mainly because guys have a bigger load to carry.

Plus, Jeff had been playing fairly well in January, before Rondo went down.

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 10:50:16 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I don't think Rondo had much to do with it.  It has now been about a year since his heart surgery, and I think it is just nature's schedule...his body is improved and he is taking things more into his own hands.  This would have happened with or without Rondo, IMO.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 10:50:24 AM »

Offline Bender B. Rodriguez

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2
  • I'm Bender, Baby!
I don't think painting Doc as the bad guy here is good. Before Rondo got injured, Green was the 4th or 5th option on our team. Afterwards, he became the 2nd or 3rd option (also given PP not playing his best). You make more plays for the 2nd or 3rd option on a team than you do for the 4th or 5th option.

Also, Green had been getting a whole lot better before Rondo got injured. His numbers were going up (which is natural; he's getting more adjusted to the game after his chest got broken open).

So, I don't think it's a coincidence; it's not Rondo or Doc's fault that he wasn't playing as well earlier in the season; and I think if he keeps playing this well (averaging 17 ppg, outbursts like the Suns game every few weeks), he will not only be up for a starting spot on the team, he might get 6th man of the year.

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 10:51:31 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
  More consistent minutes after Sully's injury probably helped. Green's also much more assertive, he sure wasn't looking like he has recently when he was playing and Rondo was on the bench. He was also getting more shots per36 when he was on the court with Rondo fwiw.

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 10:54:13 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Also, Green had been getting a whole lot better before Rondo got injured. His numbers were going up (which is natural; he's getting more adjusted to the game after his chest got broken open).

This is IMO very overlooked. People talk about his heart surgery in terms of his heart, just having his chest pulled apart to get to his chest has to take a while to recover from, and with any major injury the player needs to regain confidence in his body before he starts performing well.

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 11:27:31 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Pretty sure he just had by far his best game yet with no Kevin Garnett

Coincidence?

No!

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 11:46:36 AM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39
No it's not coincidence, and it isn't Rondo snubbing Green.

It's just that Green gets more looks now, and isn't regulated to being a spot up shooter who sits in the corner.  Ray could pull that off because he was the GOAT shooter in NBA history, but Green, Lee, and Terry are all guys who play better with the ball in their hands and slashing to the rim

I remember one game, not sure if Rondo was out or just on the bench.  KG and Pierce forced fed the ball to Green every single set.  If he lost his dribble and passed it up to KG or Pierce they immediately passed it back to him.  I think he went 3/4 with 2 FTs in that stretch with a monster dunk and looked great.

The issue has always just been that Green was fifth at best in having the offense run through him and the 95% of games where Rondo was on the floor he was used as a spot up shooter with maybe an iso play once in a blue moon called for him.

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 11:47:07 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Green started to play better before rondo went down. Still, I like the ball in greens hands being aggressive alot more than I like it in rondos hands just dribbling at the top of the key looking for an assist.

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 11:50:02 AM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
He's being more productive because his minutes have gone up a since Sully got hurt.  Green isn't one of these guys, like Barbosa was, who comes in and scores in bunches.  The more minutes he plays, the more productive he is.  He was playing just under 25 minutes a game before, in his last 10 he's up to 31.  Hence he went from 10 points to 16.  If he played 38, like he should seeing he's one of the young guys on the team and plays 2 positions, he'd probably be around 20 a game.   

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 11:55:47 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Man...I wish it's possible to take TPs away or give negative TPs

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 12:18:26 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Man...I wish it's possible to take TPs away or give negative TPs

You're one of those guys that takes great joy "disliking" every video on youtube you disagree with aren't you.