Author Topic: How did we get T Williams so cheap  (Read 5081 times)

How did we get T Williams so cheap
« on: February 23, 2013, 11:32:20 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I just read his bio.

This guy was a lottery pick, and he has actually scored a triple double in the NBA. Now that cannot be chopped liver.

He is one of a few people that got three consecutive SI covers. How do you get three consecutive SI cover pics?

If this guy does not turn in around on this veteran laden high value team he will have a tough chance ever making it.

Go Celtics.

BrinG Darko back to be our enforcer and watch the Cs soar.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 03:30:18 AM by Ogaju »

Re: How the heck did we get T Williams
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 11:38:57 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
We most likely got him because he isn't that good.  I wouldn't get too excited about him just yet. 

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 11:47:43 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
We most likely got him because he isn't that good.  I wouldn't get too excited about him just yet.

Yeah....good pickup for absolutely nothing...but I wouldnt have gone crazy trading anything for him or offering him any sort of salary.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 11:52:25 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Hopefully it turns out we got him at just the right time in his career/life/maturity where we can get the benefits of his full potential 

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 11:54:41 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
He's good. He was (hopefully it stays in the past) a headcase.

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 12:19:17 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649

He's good.  He's just a headcase who hasn't shown the discipline or maturity to become an asset to an NBA team.

If he keeps his head on straight, he's more than worth the roster spot and salary.  This kid can play.  Hopefully his past failures in the NBA have given him some maturity, because he's talented enough to really help us out.

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 12:22:20 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Note that we have only signed him for ten days, not the season.

Another team old always steal him from us for more money.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 12:30:57 AM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203

It's funny how people who probably never even dribbled a basketball and if they did the furthest they got was their local ymca team, can say a professional player is "not that good!" He had to be some sorta good to be picked 11th in the draft! Hell if he was the last pick in the draft he'd be considered good in my eyes. If he didnt get drafted but made an NBA team....he's good! "He's a headcase." What some call a headcase others chalk it up to immaturity, especially for someone as young as him. How can others talk about someone they don't even know? All I care about is whether or not he's helping us win ball games. End of story. IF he didn't stab, shoot, rape, or murder another human being he's simply another young man who made/makes mistakes that just so happens to have talent. Who am I to judge someone else's character or say how good they are when I'm WATCHING him on TV.

I suppose you are too!  ::)
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 12:37:18 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

It's funny how people who probably never even dribbled a basketball and if they did the furthest they got was their local ymca team, can say a professional player is "not that good!" He had to be some sorta good to be picked 11th in the draft! Hell if he was the last pick in the draft he'd be considered good in my eyes. If he didnt get drafted but made an NBA team....he's good! "He's a headcase." What some call a headcase others chalk it up to immaturity, especially for someone as young as him. How can others talk about someone they don't even know? All I care about is whether or not he's helping us win ball games. End of story. IF he didn't stab, shoot, rape, or murder another human being he's simply another young man who made/makes mistakes that just so happens to have talent. Who am I to judge someone else's character or say how good they are when I'm WATCHING him on TV.

I feel like when we refer to good, we're using it as a relative term (with respect to other NBaa players)
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 12:43:30 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
He's got good court vision but has always been a horrid shooter, he's a shooting guard size but is a worse shooter than tony Allen, reasonable defender with size and can finish around the rim. Dunno if his shootings gotten better but that was always his let down.
Excellent passer, solid defender, poor shooter. If he could master the three ball he'd be worth 5-6 million a year
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 01:01:10 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I was reading his nbadraft.net scouting report yesterday to get an idea of what made him a lottery pick. I basically took from it that he was an elite athlete, defender and passer (for his position) in college. Maybe not the best or willing scorer, but able.

I found this tidbit interesting:
"Put in the right situation, with the right expectations, he can really excel at the next level ..."

I think he has proven his talent translates in the NBA. The problem has been both his attitude and his environments. I think there is reason to believe he was humbled in China and the Celtics are the perfect organization for him to put everything together at this point in his life/career.

I was genuinely impressed with some of his passes against the Suns, and his athleticism is easy to see. Great size and build, I think he can actually run the point for us. He even sees himself as more of a setup man that scorer.

http://nbadraft.net/players/terrence-williams for anyone interested (I wound up going and also reading Green, Lee, Bradley, Crawford, Sully too lol)

He and Crawford can be very helpful under-the-radar moves by DA.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 01:05:01 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
We got Terrance Williams because of crappy attitudes and motor at previous stops. Maybe China humbled him, maybe we'll learn what others teams before us have learned. Who knows.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 01:23:18 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649

The kid has said himself that his attitude and actions left him unwanted in the NBA.  Immature, poor work ethic, thought he had already "made it" when he still had a long, long way to go.  In other words, headcase. 

You act like I called the kid a felon.  That's an overreaction.  There's no reason he can't grow up and succeed in the NBA, and so far he's saying all of the right things.  But the reason he was playing in China was because he was a headcase. 

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 01:32:12 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

People are 'judging' him could be just judging him on gut instinct. Or, they could be using the reams of reports of him being reluctant to be coached, immature, lacking in consistent effort.

And that would be as viable considering his NBA record as judging KG to be a great leader, Keyon Dooling to be a lockerroom mediator and lockerroom chaplain.

We're people, obsessed with a team that plays a game at a level we could only dream of. That's what being a fan is. For some, watching the games and relishing in the beauty of the play in front of them like spectators at the ballet is enough. For others, a more familiar and personal attachment is formed. Part of that is speculation on players character, personalities, or favorite food joints. If your problem is with them, your problem is with fandom in general, not people who love the game on and unholy level but just aren't all that good at playing it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 02:22:48 AM »

Offline Induna

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I heard him say in an interview how much it meant to him to get a second chance in the NBA. He also spoke on how tough it was playing in and living in China. It's not what he was saying but the tone of his voice. I think he learned something.

We got him because people have probably told him he was special all his life and he let that go to his head so he blew his chance in the NBA.

He also said in the interview "Doc told me that the keys to playing on this team are on the other side of that wall so I am just focused running through it every day"

Ladies and gentlemen fingers crossed but I think we have a player!