Author Topic: Danny's Plan???  (Read 3112 times)

Danny's Plan???
« on: February 23, 2013, 08:49:28 PM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
Just thinking about last nite's game, of which I only saw highlights, and just noticed our backcourt of AB, CL, JC, and TWill has to be one of the younger, fastest, most athletic groups in the league. Add in Jeff at forward, and even an older vet in CWilcox and you start seeing a trend here!
Trying not to get too carried away, as TWill and JC just got here, and TWill may not even be around long(but unless his game just falls apart completely),would expect him to be signed for the season---at least!!
Anyway, if Danny had put EBledsoe,DJordan, and JSmith with the above five, that would be some young, fast, crazy athletic group. Minus DJ, they can all shoot(though not RAllen shooting)well, and all can take it to the hoop!  DJ,JS, and JG can all protect the rim as well!  Yeah, I know it didn't work out, but seeing where he might have been headed makes you wonder.
Is this DA's plan for the future?? Has he already started the rebuilding? Maybe!! With TWill and JC kind of falling in his lap--wouldn't it be crazy if they both realized their true potential after coming here!??? And AB and Jeff as well!!! And would guys like Sully and RR be a part of it? Sully too slow? RR too much ball control? They've been running and passing well. Maybe RR upsets that. ?????
It's something that brings positive thoughts(mostly  ;D) to dwell on---and hope for the C's future!!

Re: Danny's Plan???
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 08:58:25 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I know what you mean, just made the same point on another thread.  Ainge is thinking longer term here and trying to FINALLY make the change to a younger more athletic roster (how many years have been been hearing this especially post-drafts with such picks as G.Green, Giddens, Walker,E.Moore, JJJ, etc.). Now I is really coming to fruition with Rondo, Lee, Bradley, J.Green, Crawford, T-Will, and remember Wilcox is a decent running big.  If Sully can come back with better conditioning, next years team can go uptempo against anybody. 

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 08:59:05 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Acquire as many young, cheap, athletic assets as possible to trade for another dynasty....

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 09:23:33 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Danny and Doc already said that they were going to grab or trade for the best players available and worry about positions later. I think it's a sound strategy.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 09:43:05 PM »

Offline celticsleyte

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
I think the plan is to get as many skilled or improving basketball players as he can and hope that Doc can make it work. Even after three season ending injuries we have a better bench than last year.

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 10:39:09 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Does he have one? ;D

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 11:11:17 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I like the "rebuild on the run" idea. That way, fans can at least root for something.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 11:36:59 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Danny's plan is hopefully get us into championship contention form... now.

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 08:27:10 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
It really made me think Danny WAS really trying to move KG and PP for those young athletic parts(EB,DJ & JS), but just couldn't get teams to play along! Not having the other parts to bring help this year, or parts no one wanted, he's now just doing it the hard way, one little piece at a time. I definitely look for it to continue--young, fast, athletic, multitalented, and big AS POSSIBLE(it's just extremely hard to find C and PF in that category, as the Shaqs and LBJ's don't come often!). DJ fit most of those, except SHOOTING. 4/5 isn't bad! (Len Bias was that kind of player!!!!!!).
On a different not--wonder if KG would consider becoming a player coach? If Boston is truly where he wants to stay, he could probably play for 4-5 more years and gradually dwindle his court time down til he hung it up completely! His presence around the young guys would be fantastic! Just a thought!

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 08:37:06 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
It really made me think Danny WAS really trying to move KG and PP for those young athletic parts(EB,DJ & JS), but just couldn't get teams to play along! Not having the other parts to bring help this year, or parts no one wanted, he's now just doing it the hard way, one little piece at a time. I definitely look for it to continue--young, fast, athletic, multitalented, and big AS POSSIBLE(it's just extremely hard to find C and PF in that category, as the Shaqs and LBJ's don't come often!). DJ fit most of those, except SHOOTING. 4/5 isn't bad! (Len Bias was that kind of player!!!!!!).
On a different not--wonder if KG would consider becoming a player coach? If Boston is truly where he wants to stay, he could probably play for 4-5 more years and gradually dwindle his court time down til he hung it up completely! His presence around the young guys would be fantastic! Just a thought!

I don't think Ainge had that much interest to make any sort of move. In fact, I think ownership would be quite averse at making any sort of move of this caliber this year. There's plenty of revenue at stake from a good playoff run.

While I don't doubt that Ainge would've pulled the trigger if needed be, I think it would've taken a lot for Ainge to be coaxed to moving these guys.

The constant with Ainge is that he'll always work the phones hard, and more than anything, assess the value of his players from the point of view of other teams. What everyone might view as a Ainge being desperate for a deal, I view as a GM simply doing his job and working hard, simply because if something too good to pass on comes along, he has already done the work to be able to pull the trigger, and deal with the fallout of pulling said trigger.

Regardless of how one might feel about the package from the Nets, I think that Ainge put a steep price on Pierce, and that's evidence enough for me about his intents to blow up this team.

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 09:12:28 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown

I don't think Ainge had that much interest to make any sort of move. In fact, I think ownership would be quite averse at making any sort of move of this caliber this year. There's plenty of revenue at stake from a good playoff run.

While I don't doubt that Ainge would've pulled the trigger if needed be, I think it would've taken a lot for Ainge to be coaxed to moving these guys.

The constant with Ainge is that he'll always work the phones hard, and more than anything, assess the value of his players from the point of view of other teams. What everyone might view as a Ainge being desperate for a deal, I view as a GM simply doing his job and working hard, simply because if something too good to pass on comes along, he has already done the work to be able to pull the trigger, and deal with the fallout of pulling said trigger.

Regardless of how one might feel about the package from the Nets, I think that Ainge put a steep price on Pierce, and that's evidence enough for me about his intents to blow up this team.
Oh, I think DA had plenty of interest in making said moves. Danny is an assassin!!! Emotions don't play a part with him!   Now ownership--that's a different story. I think they want to put off the inevitable rebuild to keep that cash coming as long as possible! But DA is looking to quickly rebuild a team that can compete with the speed and athleticism of the Heat! And OKC in the West. Players like AB,CL,JG,JC and TWill are the types that can help get them there. DJ,EB and JS added to those would have been something to watch. Still need a superstar to go with them, and I think that is what DA is up to now---building everything to go around the next Celtic superstar/s! When he'll get the chance to acquire that is anyones' guess, including his, probably! Draft? Trade? FA? But he's gonna try to have the other pieces in place for when that "KG moment" come along!

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 10:09:13 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Does he have one? ;D

Nope. I love him, but there is no real plan.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 10:13:05 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Yes. Danny's definitely hoping for the "reload not rebuild" route.

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 10:30:05 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
If we're going to win another NBA crown, we're going to need at least 2 HOF players.  Going back to the 1956-57 Cs' championship to last year's Heat team, 50 of 55 teams had 2 HOFers on them. Only one team has no HOFers and 4 teams had only one HOFer. You need elite players to win championships. 

If we had done the KG and PP deals, we would have been over the cap with no HOFers (Rondo's a pretty long if you use the Basketball-reference.com's model).  IOW, stuck in the middle, which is the worst place to be.  Being young and athletic means squat if you're not very good and the deals offered us were a worse alternative than going with what Danny had and blowing it up in another 1-2 years.  That's Danny's plan that he set this up last summer, unless he can make deals that clearly to our benefit. 

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 10:32:24 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Yes. Danny's definitely hoping for the "reload not rebuild" route.

Reload > rebuild 10 out 10 times.