Author Topic: Jermaine O'Neal “I’m no longer looking to go and try to win a championship."  (Read 3496 times)

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
“I’m no longer looking to go and try to win a championship. When you don’t fit, it looks like you can’t play,” said O’Neal, who admits to savoring his surroundings a little more. “Basketball justifies a lot for people, but I don’t need that. I have a great family, and that’s my concentration.

“This year I’ve enjoyed going into every arena for some reason. I’ve enjoyed the bus rides, the dinners, the locker room stuff, all of that. Maybe it is the last one.”

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
didnt he get in a fight with his coach not too long ago?

JO ended up being probably the worst signing by ainge in the garnett era..

we paid him 5million$ a year and he did absolutely nothing

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Talks a good game - but that is about it. He is lucky he is still playing. He should be grateful.

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
“I’m no longer looking to go and try to win a championship. When you don’t fit, it looks like you can’t play,” said O’Neal, who admits to savoring his surroundings a little more. “Basketball justifies a lot for people, but I don’t need that. I have a great family, and that’s my concentration.

“This year I’ve enjoyed going into every arena for some reason. I’ve enjoyed the bus rides, the dinners, the locker room stuff, all of that. Maybe it is the last one.”

I can somewhat respect that. He was a very good player before injuries slowed his career who isn't spending his last years chasing rings.

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

thats a bit of an over-reaction.  yes, he was a disappointment, but he had some good games for us.

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

thats a bit of an over-reaction.  yes, he was a disappointment, but he had some good games for us.

I won't forget Game 1 vs. Knicks in that sweep ;D He was our lone bright spot that game.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I actually feel bad for the guy. It would've been nice to see him win a championship.

I would've liked to have seen him get bought out/waived by Phoenix so we can sign him for the stretch run.

His biggest problem has been staying healthy.

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I could never tell he was trying to win a title

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
He's telling us that now?  We knew he wasn't ring chasing when he signed with the Suns.

I won't be surprised when he wrangles a buyout from Phoenix and signs with a contender an a few weeks.   

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39
Guy is a bum who was always more about himself than his team winning.

When he left Boston all he did was talk smack about the staff and word not so mysteriously leaked out how he was a selfish player who refused to listen to the team doctors and teammates disliked him for always putting himself first and prima donna

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
thats what happens when you got paid almost 20 million a year once. You think you were/are the best.

The guy is rich like no tomorrow. Thank the pacers for boosting his ego. No way he was ever worth close to 20 million for like 5 years in a row

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
thats what happens when you got paid almost 20 million a year once. You think you were/are the best.

The guy is rich like no tomorrow. Thank the pacers for boosting his ego. No way he was ever worth close to 20 million for like 5 years in a row

At that time he was a dominant young center, averaging 20 points, 10 boards, and 2 blocks a game. There is no way the Pacers could have known he would physically fall apart. He had no injury history when he signed that deal.

I think some people forget how good JO actually was at one point.

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
I wouldn't be looking to win a championship either, If I played for the suns.

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

At that time he was a dominant young center, averaging 20 points, 10 boards, and 2 blocks a game. There is no way the Pacers could have known he would physically fall apart. He had no injury history when he signed that deal.

Remember him in that first round playoff series against us when we pretty much sucked?

Our 'interim coach' after Obie quit on us ended up having to put Brandon Hunter on him because nobody else could stop him.  Rick Carlyle called out the coach and Brandon for thuggery...

And then a couple of years later, JO goes for the roundhouse against a fan on the court in Detroit.

JO is a crap bag, always was, and always will be.

I think what he's saying here is "I want to go to the team that pays me the most money."

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

What hpantazo said.

Back in the early 2000's, he was certainly among the best centers out there.

When he suited up for BOS, I believe he gave it his all...not his fault he couldn't stay healthy.

I remember him and KG being dominant defensively in that NY series in 2010-11. Plus he lead the Boston Celtics in blocks that year, too.

I wish him the best.