Author Topic: Your all-Underated Team  (Read 5507 times)

Re: Your all-Underated Team
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2013, 07:19:03 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Jose Calderon
Monta Ellis
Andre Iguodala
Lemarcus Aldridge
Al Hortford

Calderon has always been among league leaders in assists Per minute, he's keeps his turnovers dowm, and he's shot Steve Nash like numbers from everywhere on the court throughout his NBA career.  Despite all this he gets pretty much zero recognition on a consistent basis - most people don't know he even exists.

Monta Ellis has been one of the leagues elite scorers every season since he's been in it.  This guy is almost an Allen Iverson (in his peak) calibre scorer for his career, but has never made an all-star team and rarely gets talked about because he always played on bad teams.

Iggy has always flown under the radar and consistently misses all star games.  He's been one of the best perimeter defnders in the game his whole career, he's super athletic, his strong as an ox, he's a great rebounder, he's a capable scorer and passer.  There is nothing Iggy doesn't do, yet people rarely ever talk about him.

Aldridge is a guy who more or less does it all.  He's a quality scoring big who can play in the post, he's a solid defender, a decent (if not spectacular) rebounder, good passer.  Near 7-foot guys with skill are rare, yet Aldridge is consistently ignored when the discussion of the 'top bigs' is happening.

As with Aldridge, Hortford is a great big. Excellent rebounder, tough defender, strong and athletic, inside-out scorer and a very good passer.  When has he ever received any recognition?

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2013, 07:23:13 AM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
PG: Goran Dragic
SG: Arron Afflalo
SF: Chandler Parsons
PF: Larry Sanders
C : Nikola Vucevic

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2013, 07:51:29 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
On that note, my All-Overated team:

Derek Rose
Luol Deng
Kevin Love
Blake Griffin
Dwight Howard

Everybody on this list has been either labelled as a superstar, or has made multiple All-Star teams.  Here's why I do not agree..

Derek Rose gets so much undue media attention that it makes me sick.  He's a mediocre defender, his a 'decent' rebounder, he's not an elite playmaker.  More importantly he's not an Elite scorer - he's not a great three point shooter, not a great midrange shooter...his only real offensive skill is driving to the basket.  He scores big numbers because he pretty much takes more shot attempts than any other PG in the NBA not named Westbrook.  To add to all of this he has shown absolutely zero ability to lead his team deep in the playoffs, and  the team managed to maintain the best record in the NBA without him.

Luol Deng is now a two time all-star...are you kidding me?  Sure he's a nice player, but he is NOT an all star.  The guy plays decent defense yet I've never seen him dominate a game on the defensive end like Iggy an.  He's a capable scorer, but I've never seen him dominate on offence like Pierce can.  He's a decent passer and rebounder, but there are better.  This guy is a solid player, but is little more than a very good role player who has never won anything meaningful in his entire lifetime.

Kevin Love.  He's an undersized PF who is slow and unathletic, he's a horrendous defender, he cannot score inside to save his life (he ranks bottom 5 in the NBA in FG% in the restricted area) and lives off jumpers - which he ironically shoots at a pretty weak percentage.  Fills box scores by jacking a billion shots on a terrible team.  Oh, he IS a very good rebounder...yep that's about his only talent.  Terrible player who somehow gets hailed as the best PF in the NBA...disgraceful.

Blake Griffin...immortalised as a rookie the cameras seem to magically appear anytime this guy is around.  Multi=time all star already after two or three years in the NBA, a media wet dream and seems like peopel already talk about him like he's a hall of famer.  What is he good at?  Rebounding and dunking, that's it.  Crappy jumper, no defense, no post game.  Wow.

Dwight Howard - yes you heard me!  Hailed as the best center since Shaq, Howard is an outstanding rebounder, a fantastic shotblocker and he can even wear a superman cape.  Problem...the guy has practically no post game and lacks the offensive talent to be the offensive leader of a team.  Next problem - the guy seems to average 5 fouls a game, he's an unsportsmanlike guy who constantly throws elbows, he's frequently suspended or fined, he's probably the worst free throw shooter SINCE Shaq and he makes every team he plays on a black hole with his selfish drama.  No denying he's very good, but I'd take Tyson Chandler on my team over this guy ANY DAY.

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2013, 09:03:35 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Jose Calderon
Monta Ellis
Andre Iguodala
Lemarcus Aldridge
Al Hortford

Calderon has always been among league leaders in assists Per minute, he's keeps his turnovers dowm, and he's shot Steve Nash like numbers from everywhere on the court throughout his NBA career.  Despite all this he gets pretty much zero recognition on a consistent basis - most people don't know he even exists.

Monta Ellis has been one of the leagues elite scorers every season since he's been in it.  This guy is almost an Allen Iverson (in his peak) calibre scorer for his career, but has never made an all-star team and rarely gets talked about because he always played on bad teams.

Iggy has always flown under the radar and consistently misses all star games.  He's been one of the best perimeter defnders in the game his whole career, he's super athletic, his strong as an ox, he's a great rebounder, he's a capable scorer and passer.  There is nothing Iggy doesn't do, yet people rarely ever talk about him.

Aldridge is a guy who more or less does it all.  He's a quality scoring big who can play in the post, he's a solid defender, a decent (if not spectacular) rebounder, good passer.  Near 7-foot guys with skill are rare, yet Aldridge is consistently ignored when the discussion of the 'top bigs' is happening.

As with Aldridge, Hortford is a great big. Excellent rebounder, tough defender, strong and athletic, inside-out scorer and a very good passer.  When has he ever received any recognition?

I 100% agree that Jose Calderon is the most underrated PG in the NBA. I think we should close the debate on PGs

Regarding Monta Ellis, though, you are making crazy talk. That guy is a net negative

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2013, 09:04:36 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
C) Robin Lopez
PF) Paul Millsap
SF) Jeff Green
G) Avery Bradley
PG) Jrue Holiday

I think Milsap or David West has to be power forward on the all underrated team. Good call

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2013, 09:22:08 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
Tony Parker
OJ Mayo
Andrei Kirilenko
David Lee
Larry Sanders

TP for Kirilenko. I think that's the right answer

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2013, 09:29:17 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
pg- nate robinson
sg- gordon hayward
sf- tyshaun prince
pf- chris wilcox( maybe a C but still...)
c- greg monroe
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2013, 09:32:20 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
If Andrew Bogut was healthy, I think that he would have to have the center position locked up. Otherwise it has to be Sam Dalembert, who is a top 10 defender and rebounder most years and not a bad shooter, yet he gets absolutely no recognition.

At shooting guard, the best answer to this question used to be JJ Reddick, though now everyone is talking about him. I think that's still my vote

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2013, 09:33:31 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Post your lineup of the most underrated players at each position. I'll go first,

C)Robin Lopez
Pf)David Lee
Sf)Paul George
G)Evan Turner
PG)Jrue Holiday

Jrue and George aren't really underrated, are they?

Yeah...3 of his guys made the all star game, cool thread but....

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2013, 11:59:22 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Tayshaun Prince comes to mind.

Parsons I think is about to jump the underrated shark to become overrated. Pau Gasol and Elton Brand have jumped the overrated shark to become underrated.

All underrated team?

Pg: George Hill
SG: Gordon Hayward (won't last long)
Sf: I don't really know. Harrison Barnes, Prince, and Rudy Gay all come to mind. Alonzo Gee as well
PF: definitely David Lee
C: Joakim Noah

I don't want to pick on your list; for the most part I like it, I'm just having a hard time imagining what good things one could possibly have to say about Alonzo Gee's game. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2013, 12:21:26 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Mike Conley
Thabo Sefolosha
Andrei Kirilenko
Paul Millsap
I think Marc Gasol is seriously underrated among casual fans, but overall I'll go with Omer Asik

So, mostly guys who play good D, are versatile but don't excel in any one area, or both.

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2013, 01:21:52 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
Blake Griffin...immortalised as a rookie the cameras seem to magically appear anytime this guy is around.  Multi=time all star already after two or three years in the NBA, a media wet dream and seems like peopel already talk about him like he's a hall of famer.  What is he good at?  Rebounding and dunking, that's it.  Crappy jumper, no defense, no post game.  Wow.

Dwight Howard - yes you heard me!  Hailed as the best center since Shaq, Howard is an outstanding rebounder, a fantastic shotblocker and he can even wear a superman cape.  Problem...the guy has practically no post game and lacks the offensive talent to be the offensive leader of a team.  Next problem - the guy seems to average 5 fouls a game, he's an unsportsmanlike guy who constantly throws elbows, he's frequently suspended or fined, he's probably the worst free throw shooter SINCE Shaq and he makes every team he plays on a black hole with his selfish drama.  No denying he's very good, but I'd take Tyson Chandler on my team over this guy ANY DAY.

Disagree. Howard and Griffin get bashed so often for being overrated that they are pretty underrated right now.

Howard was the offensive leader in Orlando. There's a reason why they built their team with 3 point shooters such as Jason Richardson, Rashard Lewis, JJ Reddick, and Hedo; when Howard gets double teamed (sometimes even triple teamed) in the post. WHY would the opposing teams double/triple team a player that has no offensive post game whatsoever? Shouldn't they just let him throw up a random brick that has a low % shot? Howard has a post game - but he has only 1 go to move, and that's the running hook. Talent wise, he's not good in the post as many others, but it's hard to say that he's not an effective post player.

He does suck at free throws, but everyone knows that and makes fun of him for it. Not really overrated in that.

Also Blake Griffin. He's only 23. He's going to improve. He's shooting .662% FTs, so there's obvious improvement. He's getting close to the .70% average mark, but nobody is making a big deal about that. He doesn't just dunk and rebound. He's averaging 3.6 apg, which is great for a PF, plus 1.4 spg.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2013, 01:32:56 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I 100% agree that Jose Calderon is the most underrated PG in the NBA. I think we should close the debate on PGs

Greivis should be in consideration for that too.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2013, 02:07:08 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff

You're biased, bro.

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2013, 02:15:18 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

You're biased, bro.

How? I'm not even a NOH fan...
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"