Author Topic: Luol Deng vs.....  (Read 2225 times)

Re: Luol Deng vs.....
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 06:52:37 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
No. 

Deng is a better defender.  A better rebounder.  A better passer.

Mind you Deng is not a star either.  Just another good role player.  He was having a stronger season before this last month when his shooting dropped under 40%.

I disagree with the bold text.

I disagree with your disagreement. Luol Deng is the better defender, one of the best in the league. Jeff Green is a decent defender most nights, very good some nights, poor others.

I don't know, was watching the Miami vs Chicago and Lebron made Deng look silly the whole game. I thought greens D on Lebron was much better. He has a little more bulk than Deng, stronger build too.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 07:24:29 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Not to take anything away from Deng, but in my opinion he is wastly overrated.
He may get those 20+ point games, but he also chucks up alot of shots.
But he sure is a good defensive player, not an all star in my eyes, Pierce should have gone before him.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2013, 07:25:00 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
No. 

Mind you Deng is not a star either.  Just another good role player.  He was having a stronger season before this last month when his shooting dropped under 40%.

I disagree with the bold text.

I disagree with your disagreement. Luol Deng is the better defender, one of the best in the league. Jeff Green is a decent defender most nights, very good some nights, poor others.

I don't know, was watching the Miami vs Chicago and Lebron made Deng look silly the whole game. I thought greens D on Lebron was much better. He has a little more bulk than Deng, stronger build too.

Who doesn't LeBron make look silly?

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2013, 07:58:25 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Deng not overrated....when healthy (big if)...he's 90% of Pierce

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2013, 12:01:25 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
No. 

I disagree strongly  with the defense part.

I honestly believe Deng is horridly overrated.  I have never in my life seen a Chicago game where I have been wowed by Deng's play on either end of the floor.  He reminds me a lot of Joe Johnson - solid in a lot of areas, but not really dominant at anything.

Everybody raves about Deng's defense - he might be a solid defender, but I have never seen him dominate a game defensively the way guys like Avery Bradley, Andre Iguodala, Kevin Garnett and Dwight Howard do.  I see him defensively as a slightly better version of Paul Pierce, and that's about it.

Lately (last month or two) Jeff Green's defense against elite offensive wing players has been astounding.  He practically shut Lebron down when we beat Miami last time - he is about the only player in NBA history I have ever seen do that to Lebron.  Yes I know Lebron scored over 30 points, but somebody here actually posted some data on Lebron's shot attempts while Green was on him, and he shot someting like 30% when matched up with Green.  That is absolutely phenomenal defense.

Most importantly, it wasn't just Lebron either.  When we beat the Thunder earlier in the year Green's defense on Durant was exceptional, and likewise his defense on Melo when we beat the Knicks.  This guy has played some ELITE level defense against some of the best scoring wing players in the league, and I don't believe Deng would have had half a hope of slowing down any one of those guys like Green did (and without getting in foul trouble at that).

Green (when he's on fire) is also IMHO a far more dominant offensive player.  I know he has lacked consistency, but when he's on fire he can be dominant and borderline unstoppable.  I have never seen Deng in that mode offensively - he's just solid. .

I'll agree on the rebounding and passing (but not by much) but to be hoenst I  believe Deng is WAY overrated and should not be an all-star.  Pierce is far superior (so is Iggy Josh Smith, Al Hortford) and none f those guys made the All-Star game.  Watching Deng in the game he did practically nothing, and it was blatantly obvious he was playing outside his comfort zone surrounded by all of those stars.

Noah making the team was also a joke.  The guy does nothing but rebound and block shots - offensively he is skilled enough to not be a liability, but that's about it. A very good starter, but not an All-Star.

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 12:04:16 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Not even close.  When both are playing their best, Deng is 70% of Pierce if that.

When Pierce is on his game he is a dominant scorer, rebounder and passer at his position - a potential triple double on any night.  He's a guy who can score 40 on you on any given night if he's feeling it, and when he is there is NOBODY on this earth who can defend him.

Deng cannot come close to even dreaming of matching Pierce in terms of skill set.  Don't let the numbers fool you - Deng will never be able to dominate games the way Pierce can, even at 35 years of age.

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 12:12:37 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Sigh. Jeff Green could be a superstar. Could be. :/
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 10:09:16 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

I hope your kidding...
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.