Author Topic: Anyone else Cautiously Optimistic about T. Willliams?  (Read 6673 times)

Re: Anyone else Cautiously Optimistic about T. Willliams?
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2013, 10:02:28 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
i too am hopeful about twill. he is a good passer and very, very athletic. in college patino absolutely raved about his athleticism.

a problem for him is almost a case of being a tall rondo...good ball handler, great court vision/passer, excellent rebounding guard, known for dazzling defense... but ...has real trouble shooting.

his career fg % in the nba is .404.

3 pt shooting is .315

ft % is also poor.... 682.

add some off court problems and missed practices for a young player and you can see why coaches did not like having him around. here is an interesting article on him.

http://dancingwithnoah.com/2013/02/20/the-odyssey-of-terrence-williams/

i think twill will do best in an offense that lets him pass and cut to the basket. the more he is forced to shoot from outside the more his weakness is exposed.

as i said above, he is not that different than rondo in terms of what are his specific strengths and weaknesses.

i also think that doc can work him into the bench offense pretty well. with green, crawford, terry, and maybe lee there are enough shooters to take the scoring pressure off of twill and spread the floor for him to attack the basket.

both crawford and twill are great athletes...who have some problems with their attitude and approaches to life. if if if if if BOTH of them can straighten themselves out, the celtics will have an absolutely GREAT pair of guards off the bench.

let's cross our collective fingers on these two guys.

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2013, 10:45:32 PM »

Offline Kuberski1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
I liked what I saw last night, even though it was against the Suns....but he's a good ball handler for his size, with a decent mid-range game.  If he gets more disciplined about his shot selection, his FG% can go up to a respectable level.  Can see him on the roster next year....

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2013, 11:05:58 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I've been cautiously optimistic from the moment we signed him. I remember some of his tourney performances in college where he seemed to be everywhere doing everything for Lousiville. I was surprised when he didn't stick in the league. Hopefully he continues to play well and we can lock him up cheap before other teams notice.

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2013, 11:21:36 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Not surprisingly, fans are overrating him.  The guys has had several chances already.  Not that guys can't turn it around, but there is a good reason he hasn't stuck.  And likely has to do with the fact that he isn't that good.

I'll be happy if he proves me wrong.  But for now he's just a guy to me.

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2013, 11:38:01 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
when we first signed him for basically nothing, a guy who was lottery pick talent just a couple years ago I thought to myself "could be our blatche?"

alot of times when guys are on bad teams they develop bad habits...put him in a winning situation with solid veteran leadership, maybe he can grow and mature

he certainly has showed so far he has Skills

Exactly what I think as well - as a perfect example just take a look at Sacramento.  Team constantly gets high lottery picks, and their players always seem to turn out dissapointments.  Guys with super-high talent levels, that just don't realise that potential.

* T-Will
* Tyreke
* Cousins
* Robinson (who just got traded out)

Look at Washington and the same thing seems to happen. Look at Blatche, Crawford, McGee, etc.

It seems it takes a special type of rookie with very special maturity levels (like John Wall) to be able to come out and realise their potential on bad teams like that.  These guys tend to be mature enough to not really need a 'leader' to give them guidance.  The majority of rookies do need that veteran presence though, and they seem to suffer from going to bad teams.

McGee is a case of a guy who literally has horrific basketball IQ and just has no idea what he's doing, but I think mostof those other guys would be different players if they went to a team like Boston, the Spurs, Lakers, Heat (etc) where you have either players or coaches who are great leaders.

For example, if Tyreke went to one of those teams I'd hazard a guess that he would be an All-Star (or borderline All-Star) by now.

Looking at Terrance Williamsfrom what I've seen his overall numbers (per minute) suggest he's the type of player who could put up 18/5/5 type numbers, and guys with that type of numbers are usually very good starter in the NBA.  I'm talking Igg / Brandon Roy / Tyreke type numbers.

Hell if he gets his head on straight he may even end up a Penny Hardaway type player - a big guard with the handles and court vision of a PG, the athleticism and scoring ability of a SG, and the rebounding and size of a SF.

Everything depends on whether his head get into it, becuase seeing him play yesterday impressed me - he seems extremely smooth out there with very good ball handling skills and excellent decision making.  He played like it was about the team before him, and I love that

To be honest I was dissapointed during the offseason when I heard we didn't resign Marquis.  I thought he was a really valuable player for us last season, even if he didn't put up fancy numbers.  He was just a steady veteran who always played his role well - good ball handler, decent rebounder, good defender, athletic, tough and a guy who could play three positions (PG, SG, SF) equally well.

With T-Will I feel like we have picked up a younger, better version of Marquis.  Honestly I think there is going to be some point in this season (or in the playoffs) where he is going to become a key piece to this team. 

Crawford is a mixed bag.  He is very quick and clearly can score, but he looks very raw. He looks maybe a bit eager out there, and probably needs some time in a veteran rotation to calm him down and get him used to working in the flow of the game.  On the plus side he does look to have very high energy - he seems to rarely stand still and is always moving.  I see him right now as being very much like a raw version of Leandro Barbosa - similar skill set, but without the veteran polish.  I think he's a projet who is capable of producing right now, but his future potential is where the real interest lies.

One thing is for sure - if we keep these guys and they prove productive for us, then we are going to have a LOT of young talent that we can potentially package for a nice player in the offseason at the very least.   

Another sure thing is that our team just got a lot younger - to my knowledge Wilcox, Pierce, Terry and KG are now the only guys on this team who are over 28.

We are a very athletic team who has sudently got a lot more scoring talent not just for now, but for the future.  I am intrigued with this team right now.

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2013, 11:42:42 PM »

Offline CelticAZ

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 5
I had the good fortune of being at the Suns game last night.  I was disappointed to find out that KG had the night off given that I've never been to a live Celtics game.  I even had great seats (3rd row) though right behind the Suns bench.

Williams really impressed me; I was very, very surprised.  He sees the court really well and his passes are very crisp.  He's definitely got game.  I hope the Celtics can find a way for him to stay.  There were times last night when it felt like Williams was playing at a level beyond everyone else; he just seems to have that extra gear.

I'm trying to picture a line-up with Bradly, Rondo, Williams, and Green in it; that would be one fast line-up.

BTW, I've been a troll for almost 2 years and this is my first post I believe.

This is a really great website with super fans.

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2013, 12:13:43 AM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
I had the good fortune of being at the Suns game last night.  I was disappointed to find out that KG had the night off given that I've never been to a live Celtics game.  I even had great seats (3rd row) though right behind the Suns bench.

Williams really impressed me; I was very, very surprised.  He sees the court really well and his passes are very crisp.  He's definitely got game.  I hope the Celtics can find a way for him to stay.  There were times last night when it felt like Williams was playing at a level beyond everyone else; he just seems to have that extra gear.

I'm trying to picture a line-up with Bradly, Rondo, Williams, and Green in it; that would be one fast line-up.

Welcome, former lurker, here's a TP. Glad to hear you got to go to the game, I would have loved to see it myself.

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2013, 12:17:31 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

Welcome to the forum! You brought us good fortunes, please watch all our games live!

I'm still waiting for my first live game ;D
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2013, 03:35:46 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I think he will enjoy being here in a winning environment, cant really say he has been on good teams in the past. Doesnt hurt that him and courtney used to play together in houstan so that helps

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2013, 07:31:40 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I think he has a shot.  Team culture means so much.  I was just thinking the other day how different Antoine Walker's career might've been had he come into a situation like the Celtics have now (obviously not with KG and PP, since they are his contemporaries, but with similar veteran leaders).  I think so many of his flaws came from having no veteran leaders to reign him in and a team that was so bad that he was encouraged to essentially do whatever they heck he wanted on the court. 

So I don't think it's a stretch to think that guys like Williams and Crawford--who have played most of their careers on some pretty terrible teams--could turn over a new leaf in a winning environment with veteran leaders. 

Even Marbury (who didn't fit in that well) was a model citizen while he was here and played the game the right way.

We could say this about almost any NBA player who seemingly didn't reach his potential because of the bad teams he played on, or because of the people he was surrounded with.

Marbury is a perfect example.  He played with KG, for heaven's sake.  The guy actually made his teams worse, as good as he was at scoring.  Probably the worst "point guard" have I have ever watched in my life.