Author Topic: Anyone else Cautiously Optimistic about T. Willliams?  (Read 6677 times)

Re: Anyone else Cautiously Optimistic about T. Willliams?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 01:50:30 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
TWill=Tyreke light.

As others have said, the right situation can make a player blossom.

TWill didn't do so terribly in New Jersey, but he really languished, buried deep on the bench in Houston, and I think that stint defined and hurt both his confidence and his reputation around the league.

When questioned about his passing, he said something to the effect of "that's what I do best", although he is very versatile.

What he especially seemed to enjoy about being here was how many shooters we have. When talking about our shooters running around and shooting off screens, he said "that's not me", I'm the guy that gets him the ball.

I think playing for those crap teams (Nets, Rockets, Kings, Pistons)he was expected to do a lot more. Seems to know his role here and is very happy in it. Plus, he can D.

Hope we sign him longterm.

Good read here, where those comments came from:

http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/celtics-suns-review-williams-passing-stands-out

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 01:52:28 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
TWill=Tyreke light.

As others have said, the right situation can make a player blossom.

TWill didn't do so terribly in New Jersey, but he really languished, buried deep on the bench in Houston, and I think that stint defined and hurt both his confidence and his reputation around the league.

When questioned about his passing, he said something to the effect of "that's what I do best", although he is very versatile.

What he especially seemed to enjoy about being here was how many shooters we have. When talking about our shooters running around and shooting off screens, he said "that's not me", I'm the guy that gets him the ball.

I think playing for those crap teams (Nets, Rockets, Kings, Pistons)he was expected to do a lot more. Seems to know his role here and is very happy in it. Plus, he can D.

Hope we sign him longterm.

Can we offer him a multi-year deal after the ten day contract(s)? I think we will probably just sign him for the rest of this year.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2013, 01:52:41 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Cautiously optimistic is my floor. More like rather optimistic. Not everyday 25 yr old lottery picks fall in your lap in need of redemption.

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2013, 02:03:58 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
when we first signed him for basically nothing, a guy who was lottery pick talent just a couple years ago I thought to myself "could be our blatche?"

alot of times when guys are on bad teams they develop bad habits...put him in a winning situation with solid veteran leadership, maybe he can grow and mature

he certainly has showed so far he has Skills

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 02:05:22 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
when we first signed him for basically nothing, a guy who was lottery pick talent just a couple years ago I thought to myself "could be our blatche?"

alot of times when guys are on bad teams they develop bad habits...put him in a winning situation with solid veteran leadership, maybe he can grow and mature

he certainly has showed so far he has Skills

Same goes for Craw
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2013, 02:13:33 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Plus he's 6foot6? that would be a match up nightmare for the opposing team.
Not a matchup nightmare -- it would be pretty much a way to compensate the fact that both our SGs are pretty much 6'3 or shorter.

I mean if he plays point. most pgs are 6 foot 6 foot 3 max.
He's 6'6.
Right, if he plays point he's cross-matched with their SG on both offense or defense -- because our other guard is 6'3.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2013, 02:14:38 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Not a matchup nightmare -- it would be pretty much a way to compensate the fact that both our SGs are pretty much 6'3 or shorter.

He's 6'6.
Right, if he plays point he's cross-matched with their SG on both offense or defense -- because our other guard is 6'3.

Unless we go Terrence-Pierce-Green-XXX-KG, that could be very interesting.

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2013, 02:17:46 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

He's 6'6.

Well, technically we can field Williams-Lee-Pierce-Bass-Garnett and have a big lineup. But the point is that when you have Terry and Bradley as significant rotation players, a ball-handler with legitimate SG size is more of a necessity than a luxury.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 02:23:18 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

He's 6'6.

Well, technically we can field Williams-Lee-Pierce-Bass-Garnett and have a big lineup. But the point is that when you have Terry and Bradley as significant rotation players, a ball-handler with legitimate SG size is more of a necessity than a luxury.

Agreed, which is all I've been clamoring for since we signed Terry, with Rondo and Bradley in the roster.

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2013, 02:38:35 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
wathing the replay of the phoenix game right now, and he just seems so comfortable out there and has some really nice passing skills.

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2013, 08:40:16 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

He's 6'6.

Agreed, which is all I've been clamoring for since we signed Terry, with Rondo and Bradley in the roster.

I really wanted Tyreke Evans this past offseason for that exact reason (the AB part anyway).

This guy seems to have worked on his jumper too. Having him and Rondo on the floor would be interesting.

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2013, 09:02:12 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I'd already keep him over Crawford if salaries and guaranteed money weren't involved.

He just gets it.  Like Sully.  You can just tell he understands the game.  He does everything pretty well.  He defends 1's, 2's, and 3's, he has a good handle, he rebounds great for a guard, has a soft little jumper, and can run.  What isn't to be optimistic about?

McGee is still a knucklehead but look how much better he is in a better environment.  I think you have to give some benefit of the doubt to young players on bad teams with no real veteran or worse, poor veteran leadership.

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2013, 09:10:14 PM »

Offline badshar

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
Well I am pretty optimistic because this guy does all sorts of dunks.....in 2K13.

Seriously though, he might be overrated in the game, but he  does all kinds of spectacular dunks, like double-clutch, turnaround, 360, posterize etc.

He dominates in NBA 2K13!

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2013, 09:24:45 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Well I am pretty optimistic because this guy does all sorts of dunks.....in 2K13.

Seriously though, he might be overrated in the game, but he  does all kinds of spectacular dunks, like double-clutch, turnaround, 360, posterize etc.

He dominates in NBA 2K13!

God I love the internet.

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2013, 09:40:12 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
I'm optimistic. I want him to do well and break out. Of course, with the C's getting the benefits.
I moved the cheese.