Author Topic: Anyone else Cautiously Optimistic about T. Willliams?  (Read 6672 times)

Anyone else Cautiously Optimistic about T. Willliams?
« on: February 23, 2013, 01:06:19 PM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
I know it's just 2 games, but this kid looks really good at the point and very fast/athletic for other positions. Was a lottery pick, maybe this could be a real steal.

Re: Anyone else Cautiously Optimistic about T. Willliams?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 01:11:00 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I think he has a shot.  Team culture means so much.  I was just thinking the other day how different Antoine Walker's career might've been had he come into a situation like the Celtics have now (obviously not with KG and PP, since they are his contemporaries, but with similar veteran leaders).  I think so many of his flaws came from having no veteran leaders to reign him in and a team that was so bad that he was encouraged to essentially do whatever they heck he wanted on the court. 

So I don't think it's a stretch to think that guys like Williams and Crawford--who have played most of their careers on some pretty terrible teams--could turn over a new leaf in a winning environment with veteran leaders. 

Even Marbury (who didn't fit in that well) was a model citizen while he was here and played the game the right way. 

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 01:11:59 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I missed parts of the games but I'm fairly impressed at the quickness in his decision-making. Someone will pass him the ball and as soon as the ball arrives he'll start a pass that's to an open man but not necessarily the obvious choice. In other words, it would take the other guards a beat or two to see the pass longer than it takes him. Danny was saying he makes passes nobody else on the team makes. That's encouraging.

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 01:17:23 PM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
Terrence Williams is a naturally talented player, so, yeah, I'm rather optimistic at this point. He's a good passer than most of the SGs around the league, so, he could still rejuvenate his career, I believe.

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 01:19:56 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Yeah. There's a reason he went lottery. Some guys take longer to mature. Maybe he just needs strong veteran presences around him.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 01:29:12 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Outstanding up to date. This is his last chance, and he's really utilizing it. Gotta love him.

Steal!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 01:29:30 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I know it's just 2 games, but this kid looks really good at the point and very fast/athletic for other positions. Was a lottery pick, maybe this could be a real steal.
I'm quietly optimistic about both him and Jordan Crawford. If Doc can reign them in, we'll have a very, very dangerous back court.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 01:31:29 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I really like Twill and Crawford. Feel like the both can contribute big time to the bench. Twill is fast and athletic, seems like he could heat up at anytime and same with Crawford. Can handle the ball makes some wild shots and get going quickly.

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 01:33:13 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'm quietly optimistic about both him and Jordan Crawford. If Doc can reign them in, we'll have a very, very dangerous back court.

I'm not bullish on Crawford unless you use Terrence as a SF often. Which would hopefully mean less Bass at the 4 because Green is taking his minutes, which is my preference. Else, there's simply no minutes for Crawford to be had, but could be an interesting spark plug you can call up when needed, kinda like Barbosa once Bradley returned this season.

Terrence is the pick-up I'm very excited about.

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 01:33:43 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
We should sign this guy long term. Not a crazy deal though.

He'd be a great backup for Rondo.

He has the passing ability, scoring ability and bball IQ.

Plus he's 6foot6? that would be a match up nightmare for the opposing team.

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 01:36:35 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I wouldn't be surprised if he plays meaningful playoff minutes for us. That is probably more than cautiously optimistic though, haha.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 01:38:53 PM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
Terrence Williams is a naturally talented player, so, yeah, I'm rather optimistic at this point. He's a good passer than most of the SGs around the league, so, he could still rejuvenate his career, I believe.

I have always liked TWill's game. He has a truly unique skill set, big enough to play SF, shoot range deep enough to play SG, and passing skills & quick enough to play PG.

He had a nice run with the Kings late last year.

However, he doesn't stick with teams. Perhaps he has a bad attitude, is a cancer, or doesn't practice hard. I don't know. Maybe with the fact that he washed out of the NBA and had to play in China along with Doc, KG, and PP influences, he will turn it around.

For the Cs sake, I hope so.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 01:39:47 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
We should sign this guy long term. Not a crazy deal though.

He'd be a great backup for Rondo.

He has the passing ability, scoring ability and bball IQ.

Our opportunities to sign him long term are limited. Depending on how the salary cap comes about next year, we'll have only MLE or mini-MLE at our disposal.

Further complicating things, is that if you use any of these, you can't receive a player in a sign-and-trade, and I think there'll be some good opportunities next year to do so.

Acquiring a big would still be a priority though with those funds.

The other side is that if you do keep him and Crawford, it'll mean we can do a trade using any combination of Terry, Lee, Crawford, Terrance, and Bass, even if it isn't a sign and trade. This can come in the off-season or at the trade-deadline. Even further, it reduces the burden of having to keep Rondo, whether it be as a building block for our future, or to win now.

But we'll have to see how this all develops, and if KG remains.

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 01:40:02 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Not a matchup nightmare -- it would be pretty much a way to compensate the fact that both our SGs are pretty much 6'3 or shorter.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 01:41:42 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
Not a matchup nightmare -- it would be pretty much a way to compensate the fact that both our SGs are pretty much 6'3 or shorter.

I mean if he plays point. most pgs are 6 foot 6 foot 3 max.
He's 6'6.