Author Topic: Wouldn't it be interesting if ...  (Read 2119 times)

Re: Wouldn't it be interesting if ...
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 12:30:44 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I've always thought that part of the reason Ainge traded for Green was that he hoped Green would be a better option than Big Baby Davis as the 4 in a crunch time line-up.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 12:34:28 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Green is looking good lately.

I still would have preferred keeping Perk, having a better shot at the 2011 title, and then moving Perk for a trade exception (and possibly a pick).  We could have cashed that exception in for David West.

Rondo and Shaq's health killed our 2011 run.

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2013, 12:37:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I still would have preferred keeping Perk, having a better shot at the 2011 title, and then moving Perk for a trade exception (and possibly a pick).  We could have cashed that exception in for David West.

Shaq allegedly told Danny not to count on him coming back before the trade deadline.

As for Rondo, I'm a big believer in the butterfly effect.  If the Perk trade doesn't get made, the Rondo injury probably doesn't happen, because the specific circumstances that brought Wade and Rondo together don't happen.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2013, 12:54:00 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Shaq allegedly told Danny not to count on him coming back before the trade deadline.

As for Rondo, I'm a big believer in the butterfly effect.  If the Perk trade doesn't get made, the Rondo injury probably doesn't happen, because the specific circumstances that brought Wade and Rondo together don't happen.

Rondo wasn't really healthy after the first month or two of the season. He wasn't really at his best in the playoffs even before the Wade incident.

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 01:15:12 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
As mentioned, the trade was criticized because it may have been the right trade but it was made at the WRONG time.

At the time, the Celts were the top team in the East and were firing on all cylinders.

Trading away their starting center was not the smart decision to make.

This was about messing up the chemistry in 2011, not how things are today.

I think everyone felt that Jeff was the most talented player in the trade but everyone felt it was still the wrong trade to make, and it was.