Author Topic: Wouldn't it be interesting if ...  (Read 2122 times)

Wouldn't it be interesting if ...
« on: February 23, 2013, 11:44:13 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
The Perkins for the oft-pilloried on this board Jeff Green turned out to be the exact deal so many of you were demanding at the deadline - offloading an asset in clear decline for a potential future building block?

As the saying goes: Time is the great vindicator.

Maybe Ainge isn't as dumb as some of you think.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Re: Wouldn't it be interesting if ...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 11:56:16 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The Perkins for the oft-pilloried on this board Jeff Green turned out to be the exact deal so many of you were demanding at the deadline - offloading an asset in clear decline for a potential future building block?

Except neither is a future building block.  Both are role players.  One just happens to play a position it is harder to fill. 

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 11:58:50 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
I suspected some around here would cling tenaciously to the "terrible trade" mantra, despite Perkins' clear and steep decline.

I mean, Rondo is still publicly whining about it.

We shall soon see. I will say this: Today, they are two players whose careers are moving in starkly different directions.

Could not be happier to have Perkins and that horrible contract elsewhere.

Bottom line: You can't have it both ways. The Perkins trade was the same kind of deal people are so irate about missing with Garnett and Pierce.

You hit some. You miss some.

However, it's hard to see how losing 4 points, 6 boards and five moving screens a night equates to a significant loss to this franchise, though.

Cue up the "toughness" argument ...

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 12:02:37 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
What people forget about that last team with Perk was the bench was terrible.  Starters would build up a nice lead and bench would give it back - every night.  They weren't going anywhere for that reason and Perk was in line to be overpaid somewhere the following year.

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 12:03:48 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
That trade 2 years ago, didn't really have a lot to do with Ainge's smartness or dumbness.

It was purely a numbers game.

We had excess bigs (albeit some hurt and inactive).

But we had no excess backup 3. (Quis got hurt so we had nobody).

The Perk trade was the most logical trade and Danny took it.

We got back a big (Nenad Kristic), we got back a 3, athletic, wing (Jeff Green) and we got a 1st rounder.

That is really good value for Perk, a solid starting center recovering from a knee injury and looking for a new contract. (Oh and Nate Robinson who wasn't playing that much for us).

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 12:04:24 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
What people forget about that last team with Perk was the bench was terrible.  Starters would build up a nice lead and bench would give it back - every night.  They weren't going anywhere for that reason and Perk was in line to be overpaid somewhere the following year.

Actually, this is a nice vignette of a theme in another thread.

Perkins is a perfect example of how people become so obsessed with their "favorite" player that they lose total sight of what benefits the team as a whole.

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 12:05:16 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Green is looking good lately.

I still would have preferred keeping Perk, having a better shot at the 2011 title, and then moving Perk for a trade exception (and possibly a pick).  We could have cashed that exception in for David West.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 12:05:33 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I've never noticed your being overly supportive of Danny's moves. Change of heart?

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 12:06:51 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
lol @ Jeff Green not a future building block
right. which is why DA paid him 9 million for 4 years.

At some point, and as I continue to say, Jeff's contract will be a steal and he will be a steal...probably sometime next season.

I actually think Fab Melo will become a contributor. Jared Sullinger will come back (hopefully thinner). I still like Wilcox and maybe find some more bigs and I don't see why everyone thinks are future is so stark.

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 12:12:37 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Green's February play is a welcome sight knowing that he had it in him all this time. Good things to come.

You gotta have love for Perk too, but it's time to separate the two. I really think the Shaq Achilles injury is what sank the ship that season. When he was starting, that team was sick. Alas ...

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 12:16:26 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
That trade 2 years ago, didn't really have a lot to do with Ainge's smartness or dumbness.

We got back a big (Nenad Kristic), we got back a 3, athletic, wing (Jeff Green) and we got a 1st rounder.

That is really good value for Perk, a solid starting center recovering from a knee injury and looking for a new contract. (Oh and Nate Robinson who wasn't playing that much for us).

Actually that's not correct.  It was as much financial as anything.  The Celtics couldn't offer Perkins the dollars he wanted so he probably would have left after the year.  Plus in the trade we received a #1 pick which ended up being Sullinger as well as a serviceable big man in Krstic as well as Green.  All in all a good trade if you ask me.  So yes it did have alot to do with Ainge's smartness. Read the article...

" One consideration in making the deal for Ainge was the fact that Perkins was in the final year of his contract and it appeared the two sides weren't close to an extension. The Celtics had reportedly offered him a four-year, $22 million contract. Perkins was reportedly seeking a deal worth $30 million over that same span.

Ainge said Thursday that the Celtics had offered Perkins all they could under the current collective bargaining agreement."

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=6155082

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 12:19:07 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Plus in the trade we received a #1 pick which ended up being Sullinger

Fab Melo.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 12:23:59 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
lol @ Jeff Green not a future building block
right. which is why DA paid him 9 million for 4 years.

At some point, and as I continue to say, Jeff's contract will be a steal and he will be a steal...probably sometime next season.

I actually think Fab Melo will become a contributor. Jared Sullinger will come back (hopefully thinner). I still like Wilcox and maybe find some more bigs and I don't see why everyone thinks are future is so stark.

He isn't.  He is a role player.  A nice good role player. 

And I am glad he is finally playing at the same level he was when he was a role player with the Thunder. 

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 12:24:31 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

If making logical trades that get a good return, solve our issues and get us a good young player going forward aren't a sign of a GM's smartness I doubt if much is.

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 12:28:55 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Green is looking good lately.

I still would have preferred keeping Perk, having a better shot at the 2011 title, and then moving Perk for a trade exception (and possibly a pick).  We could have cashed that exception in for David West.

Still curious about what a better shot at 2011 implies. I just don't see it.

Firstly, Perk was clearly a different man in those playoffs with Oklahoma. The only reason the "better shot" myth continues was because Krstic, to add insult to injury to our bad luck, also got hurt as we got closer to the playoffs. What made this significant is that moving Perk was also a health related consideration, Krstic was a healthy big and should've been more dependable in that facet.

Regardless, the bemoaning of the loss of Perk because we were missing a rim protector to stop LeBron is simply an absurd idea in my opinion, mainly because Perk really hasn't been that guy since his injury, and the truth is in the pudding whenever LeBron has played with Oklahoma, despite they also having one of the more dominant defenders in the league at the moment with Ibaka. And this is coming from a person that gives more credit to Perk for our defense against LeBron in his Cleveland days, than the myth of James Posey.

And lost in all of this was how much Green helped against the Knicks, particularly with the defense he played with Carmelo, that for some reason no one cares to give him credit for. He was easily the best Carmelo defender we had that year. He wasn't a good defender on LeBron back then though, but he had a fairly productive performance in the minutes that Doc played him against the Heat (53.8% from the floor, for 8.4 points a game in 21 minutes of play).

More than missing Perk against the Heat to have a better shot at a championship, we were missing Tony Allen for better perimeter defense, and I think the addition of Bradley and Lee and the impact they've had against Miami shows this.