Author Topic: Embrace the Smallball  (Read 452 times)

Embrace the Smallball
« on: February 23, 2013, 01:56:36 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
After the trading deadline, it seems apparent that we have very few options left to try and squeeze more success out of this roster.  But we do have one option left: smallball.

The smallball approach and Doc's affinity for it is pretty disliked around here, but Green's performance last night tells me we've got to give it a shot.  We can't do this against every team, but when the matchups allow it, what have we got to lose by giving one of our most talented players, and our SF of the future, a chance to blossom in extended starter's minutes? 

And what other choice do we have?  We've got KG, who's still effective starting at C, Bass, who's well-suited to a bench PF role but underwhelming as a starter, Wilcox, who has good energy but otherwise doesn't do much, DJ White on a 10-day deal, and a guy who can't tie his shoes at an NBA level yet.

So let's throw caution into the river, pull out the last card in our bag of tricks, mix our metaphors whenever we feel like it, and sing along together:

All I ever wanted
all I ever needed was here
in smallball

Bigs are very
unnecessary
They can only do harm...

Re: Embrace the Smallball
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 01:58:26 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
We really don't have any other options (except for Pierce playing SG lol)
Our only two real bigs are Bass and KG
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 02:17:53 PM »

Offline Bender B. Rodriguez

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2
  • I'm Bender, Baby!
We really don't have any other options (except for Pierce playing SG lol)
Our only two real bigs are Bass and KG

Well, we also have Fab Melo... but I don't think he'll ever amount to much. :P

What about DJ White? We've got him on a 10-day contract. Thoughts on him?

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 02:21:45 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Saw DJ play a couple of times in Charlotte and he always impressed me as a high IQ player that knows his limits.  Very heady player.

Smart signing by Danny!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 02:33:07 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
After the trading deadline, it seems apparent that we have very few options left to try and squeeze more success out of this roster.  But we do have one option left: smallball.

The smallball approach and Doc's affinity for it is pretty disliked around here, but Green's performance last night tells me we've got to give it a shot.  We can't do this against every team, but when the matchups allow it, what have we got to lose by giving one of our most talented players, and our SF of the future, a chance to blossom in extended starter's minutes? 

And what other choice do we have?  We've got KG, who's still effective starting at C, Bass, who's well-suited to a bench PF role but underwhelming as a starter, Wilcox, who has good energy but otherwise doesn't do much, DJ White on a 10-day deal, and a guy who can't tie his shoes at an NBA level yet.

So let's throw caution into the river, pull out the last card in our bag of tricks, mix our metaphors whenever we feel like it, and sing along together:

All I ever wanted
all I ever needed was here
in smallball

Bigs are very
unnecessary
They can only do harm...

Our 2008 run featured KG and Posey in the front line in the crucial 4th quarter, granted after having Perk bang and tire out the opponent's bigs.....we know Green will end up there in the 4th against Miami, etc....

So, I think until Pierce leaves we've got to start Jeff at PF and live with the downside, as the upside will hopefully outweigh it...

Also, that's the only way to take full advantage of T. Will and J. Crawford.  The addition of those two should mean Bass is now a backup center....

If you clog up SF with Jeff getting minutes there, one of the guards will be underutilized.
T Will should be our new back up SF, and perhaps occasional PG as someone mentioned....in the 4th for example if he's having a good game, next to Bradley or Terry.

Edit: I also think Pierce and Green in together is a good thing.  The defense has a harder time dealing with both than with just one....and it allows both of them to move the ball and make aggressive moves off the catch....I think Pierce can get to the hole more playing alonside Jeff....
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 02:39:33 PM by wiley »