Author Topic: Something Doc should consider.  (Read 1405 times)

Something Doc should consider.
« on: February 23, 2013, 01:48:24 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
With Pierce having that pinched nerve in his neck and then re-injuring it last night he should consider going on and off resting Pierce and KG and let Green have those minutes in the starts. I think this team would do just as well with Green either in there with Pierce Or KG. That way by post-season Pierce and KG both have some healthy legs and Jeff can have confidence that he can score against everyone and be more aggresive like we saw last night. What do you think of the idea of Pierce and KG switching nights on and off to rest, and Jeff getting those starts.

Re: Something Doc should consider.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 01:50:06 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
With Pierce having that pinched nerve in his neck and then re-injuring it last night he should consider going on and off resting Pierce and KG and let Green have those minutes in the starts. I think this team would do just as well with Green either in there with Pierce Or KG. That way by post-season Pierce and KG both have some healthy legs and Jeff can have confidence that he can score against everyone and be more aggresive like we saw last night. What do you think of the idea of Pierce and KG switching nights on and off to rest, and Jeff getting those starts.

The league, KG, Pierce, Doc all wouldn't allow that to happen.

And keep in mind,we only beat  Phoenix, a league-worst team.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 01:53:44 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen

The league only fined the spurs because he sent them home. Doc could have these guys dress but not play them and be DNP CD. And yes it was PHX but still Jeff would benifit from playing more. Just a thought.

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 01:59:44 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

The league only fined the spurs because he sent them home. Doc could have these guys dress but not play them and be DNP CD. And yes it was PHX but still Jeff would benifit from playing more. Just a thought.

KG would be firmly against it. He rarely misses games, ever. Yesterday was his first missed game. He simply will not sit every other game. And we won't win with him sitting, he's essentially our MVP. Ditto for Pierce.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 02:02:49 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I think it's a good idea, even if KG doesn't agree to sit. Choosing to rest Pierce or KG into strategic games (during a series of back to back or on a road trip, for example) would be great for the playoffs, and we certainly have the ability to win the games without one of them.

I know Phoenix is bad, but Green can perform well enough during KG or Pierce's absence to lead us to a win (along with his teammates' contributions of course).

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 02:07:17 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
I think it's a good idea, even if KG doesn't agree to sit. Choosing to rest Pierce or KG into strategic games (during a series of back to back or on a road trip, for example) would be great for the playoffs, and we certainly have the ability to win the games without one of them.

I know Phoenix is bad, but Green can perform well enough during KG or Pierce's absence to lead us to a win (along with his teammates' contributions of course).

Yeah thats more or less what i meant. Maybe not Every other game but games against the Suns and lowly teams.

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 02:11:49 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
it makes sense so Doc won't do it

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 02:26:09 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
It makes no sense at all to sit KG every other game....and we would lose a lot with him out.  Where did you get the idea we can games without KG?  The Suns game?

Paul is a different matter, Jeff fills in and Terrence W. backs him up.....Pierce is not integral to our defense as is KG.  We can win without Paul in the short term....

Rest Pierce till he's healthy or give him a light load for a while if he can work through it....

Rest KG once in a while against bad teams....

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 02:32:20 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
It makes no sense at all to sit KG every other game....and we would lose a lot with him out.  Where did you get the idea we can games without KG?  The Suns game?

Paul is a different matter, Jeff fills in and Terrence W. backs him up.....Pierce is not integral to our defense as is KG.  We can win without Paul in the short term....

Rest Pierce till he's healthy or give him a light load for a while if he can work through it....

If you go down the line i then said that it would be better not to be every other game but games against the lowly teams of the NBA. I am not at all trying to say we can win a ton of games witout KG but it would also be good to contiune to get rest for KG and Pierce. Just a thought i am not saying we could go all the way like this good lord.

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 02:37:03 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

If you go down the line i then said that it would be better not to be every other game but games against the lowly teams of the NBA. I am not at all trying to say we can win a ton of games witout KG but it would also be good to contiune to get rest for KG and Pierce. Just a thought i am not saying we could go all the way like this good lord.

Yeah I'm generally pro rest too.  Including in quarters to 1-3.  I hate watching fatigued guys not be able to get to a loose ball in the 4th!  Hope Doc uses his young talent in just the right amount....

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 03:31:45 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'd like to see Doc put Pierce on the same 5-5-5 plan as KG.  In the long run, I'd like him to consider Pierce in a potential Sixth Man of the Year role next season.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 04:08:42 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Pierce still a much better rebounder than Green so is nice to have them on the floor at the same time.

Shooters like pierce may have different needs than KG; but like that Green and T-Will can sub for him and the offense need not grind to a halt.

Not sure where Crawford's minutes come from. He has played point; but hard to see him doing that for extended periods. Hate to see him take away from Lee's minutes when Lee plays much better Defense and is just starting to find his rhythm.

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 04:27:55 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Not sure where Crawford's minutes come from. He has played point; but hard to see him doing that for extended periods. Hate to see him take away from Lee's minutes when Lee plays much better Defense and is just starting to find his rhythm.

I'm guessing Lee plays the 25-30 minute role that he seemed to have settled in after Rondo went down but before Barbosa was injured.  I think Barbosa's minutes went mainly to Bradley, Terry, and Green (due to Pierce playing as a 2 next to Green).  Acquiring Crawford means you won't see Lee play 35-40 minutes if Bradley gets into foul trouble.

You'll probably see Bradley at 30-35 minutes, Lee at 25-30 minutes, and Terry at 20-25 minutes most games.  I can see Crawford getting 15mpg behind that.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 04:45:54 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think giving them each 2-3 games off this year, especially on the second night of back to backs, is a decent idea provided we get the bodies on the roster that can eat up those minutes.