Author Topic: NBA to refs: whistle Lakers into playoffs  (Read 12885 times)

Re: NBA to refs: whistle Lakers into playoffs
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2013, 11:58:29 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Sooo, can we agree that the pretty egregious non-suspension of Ibaka for getting to 3rd base with Blake Griffin kinda punches a hole in this theory? 

Seems like if the league was tilting things to get the Lakers in the playoffs they would have made the obvious decision to keep Ibaka out.

« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2013, 12:35:18 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I hear that.
There are definitely biases towards Big Market teams, and teams with history.
The Lakers is one of the teams that had the most benefit from this.

Look at the teams in the league right now that are leading in free throw attempts per game.

1) Lakers
2) OKC
3) Denver
4) Charlotte
5) Minnesota
6) Houston
7) Utah
8) Brooklyn
9) Clippers
10) Detroit

Yes, the Lakers get a lot of free throws. But three of the top 10 teams in free throw attempts are in the lottery, with only OKC and the Clippers being real contenders.

Look at the worst free throw teams now ...

30) Orlando
29) Philadelphia
28) New Orleans
27) Atlanta
26) Phoenix
25) Washington
24) Memphis
23) Portland
22) Boston
21) New York
20) San Antonio

The team with the league's best record is one of the worst teams at getting to the line. Two of the East's top teams in Atlanta and New York are also low on the list, and Memphis is another strong play-off threat there.

There is no clear relationship between getting to the line and winning games. This trend extends across the past several seasons. Yes, there are teams that get to the line a lot and win, and there are those that don't. But just because a team gets a lot of foul calls does not automatically let them win games, which makes any perceived conspiracy on your part miraculously ineffective.

Now, look over the last several seasons. I am going back to 2003-2004, because that is as far back as I can get the numbers through a casual search, and I don't feel like doing anything more involved.

Since the 2003-2004 season, the Lakers have attempted approximately 20,226 free throws (I say approximately because I back-tracked their per game averages for the number of games they played, and rounded, so I might be off by a few).

That is 4th in the league during that span. Behind Denver, Utah, and Orlando. Rounding out the top 10 since 2003-4:

Clippers
Sonics/OKC
Sacramento
Miami
Cleveland
Indiana

It is worth noting that the Clippers, OKC, and Indiana, although strong teams now, were not perennially strong in the past decade.

The worst free throw teams since 2003? Well, San Antonio is 27th, and how have they been doing? Phoenix is 26th, and though they suck now, for good chunk of this past decade they were a serious contender (at times favorite).

The Bobcats have taken more free throws in the past decade than the Mavericks, who were a title favorite in Dirk's prime, and won a title recently (and Dirk is arguably the greatest free throw shooter in league history).

By the way, the league average for free throws in the past decade is 19,206, and the worst mark (belonging to New Orleans) is 17,338.

So the total spread between best and worst over the past decade is 5083 free throws, which works out to be 6 free throw attempts per game. The difference between the Lakers over this span and the league average works out to be 1.05 free throw attempt per game.

So, over the past decade, the Lakers have only managed to get about one extra free throw attempt for every game over the league average for this span.

Quite a conspiracy you got going on.  ::)

The numbers don't lie, baby, so get off the smug high horse and stop calling us all blind for not believing in easily falsifiable accusations of rigging.

Great great post. TP.

« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2013, 12:38:51 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Sooo, can we agree that the pretty egregious non-suspension of Ibaka for getting to 3rd base with Blake Griffin kinda punches a hole in this theory? 

Seems like if the league was tilting things to get the Lakers in the playoffs they would have made the obvious decision to keep Ibaka out.

I personally dont think Ibaka deserved a suspension. I dont think he was intentionally trying to rock Blake's Griffin. He was trying to punch down the arm bar Blake was hitting him with and just connected in a bad spot.

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2013, 12:47:06 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I hear that.
There are definitely biases towards Big Market teams, and teams with history.
The Lakers is one of the teams that had the most benefit from this.

Look at the teams in the league right now that are leading in free throw attempts per game.

1) Lakers
2) OKC
3) Denver
4) Charlotte
5) Minnesota
6) Houston
7) Utah
8) Brooklyn
9) Clippers
10) Detroit

Yes, the Lakers get a lot of free throws. But three of the top 10 teams in free throw attempts are in the lottery, with only OKC and the Clippers being real contenders.

Look at the worst free throw teams now ...

30) Orlando
29) Philadelphia
28) New Orleans
27) Atlanta
26) Phoenix
25) Washington
24) Memphis
23) Portland
22) Boston
21) New York
20) San Antonio

The team with the league's best record is one of the worst teams at getting to the line. Two of the East's top teams in Atlanta and New York are also low on the list, and Memphis is another strong play-off threat there.

There is no clear relationship between getting to the line and winning games. This trend extends across the past several seasons. Yes, there are teams that get to the line a lot and win, and there are those that don't. But just because a team gets a lot of foul calls does not automatically let them win games, which makes any perceived conspiracy on your part miraculously ineffective.

Now, look over the last several seasons. I am going back to 2003-2004, because that is as far back as I can get the numbers through a casual search, and I don't feel like doing anything more involved.

Since the 2003-2004 season, the Lakers have attempted approximately 20,226 free throws (I say approximately because I back-tracked their per game averages for the number of games they played, and rounded, so I might be off by a few).

That is 4th in the league during that span. Behind Denver, Utah, and Orlando. Rounding out the top 10 since 2003-4:

Clippers
Sonics/OKC
Sacramento
Miami
Cleveland
Indiana

It is worth noting that the Clippers, OKC, and Indiana, although strong teams now, were not perennially strong in the past decade.

The worst free throw teams since 2003? Well, San Antonio is 27th, and how have they been doing? Phoenix is 26th, and though they suck now, for good chunk of this past decade they were a serious contender (at times favorite).

The Bobcats have taken more free throws in the past decade than the Mavericks, who were a title favorite in Dirk's prime, and won a title recently (and Dirk is arguably the greatest free throw shooter in league history).

By the way, the league average for free throws in the past decade is 19,206, and the worst mark (belonging to New Orleans) is 17,338.

So the total spread between best and worst over the past decade is 5083 free throws, which works out to be 6 free throw attempts per game. The difference between the Lakers over this span and the league average works out to be 1.05 free throw attempt per game.

So, over the past decade, the Lakers have only managed to get about one extra free throw attempt for every game over the league average for this span.

Quite a conspiracy you got going on.  ::)

The numbers don't lie, baby, so get off the smug high horse and stop calling us all blind for not believing in easily falsifiable accusations of rigging.

There is obviously some bias in games, but in the big picture, it's nearly negligible.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2013, 03:31:07 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHIfoV10KlY

This guys hits the nail on the head.

« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2013, 04:32:46 AM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
PS The Lakers game tonight is proof of the rigging happening in the NBA.

If ya'll don't see it, You're blind.

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2013, 10:06:30 AM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
That Laker game last night. Pure SterNBA.