Author Topic: NBA to refs: whistle Lakers into playoffs  (Read 12875 times)

NBA to refs: whistle Lakers into playoffs
« on: February 23, 2013, 12:59:47 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Watch what happens over the next 20 games.  Getting a taste w/ Lamarcus being hit early & often with calls they won't make on Dwight.   And my favorite, Artest fouls Batum on the arm to make the ball go out.   No call, then reviewed to give LA the ball back. 

League is about to do everything it can to get their cash cow franchise to the 8 spot. 

Re: NBA to refs: whistle Lakers into playoffs
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 01:02:11 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
FT attempts:
LA 32,  Port 12

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 01:10:57 AM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80
FT attempts
Memphis 29, Orlando 9

I know everyone has fun with Laker conspiracy theories, but games like this happen every night, like the example cited above.  Did the league conspire to have Memphis win tonight? 

Also, wouldn't it have made much more sense for the league to start this weeks (or months) ago to put the Lakers in a better seed and in less danger of a Round 1 exit (if they do make the playoffs)?

A conspiracy starting in late February to get a top franchise a #8 seed is a pretty weak conspiracy.

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 01:12:35 AM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Calls down the stretch were bad. Particularly Batum out of bounds play where MWP clearly fouled him, then the Batum three point shot reviewed and still called a 2... frustrating...

On another note, NBA tv has some of the worst commentators imaginable.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 01:14:19 AM »

Offline ItStaysYang

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
FT attempts
Memphis 29, Orlando 9

I know everyone has fun with Laker conspiracy theories, but games like this happen every night, like the example cited above.  Did the league conspire to have Memphis win tonight? 

Also, wouldn't it have made much more sense for the league to start this weeks (or months) ago to put the Lakers in a better seed and in less danger of a Round 1 exit (if they do make the playoffs)?

A conspiracy starting in late February to get a top franchise a #8 seed is a pretty weak conspiracy.

Don't be naive

Calls against Boston were absurd the other night too. Kobe had more fouls on him than did any of the Celtics combined for awhile during the first half of the game

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 01:18:43 AM »

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64
Calls down the stretch were bad. Particularly Batum out of bounds play where MWP clearly fouled him, then the Batum three point shot reviewed and still called a 2... frustrating...

On another note, NBA tv has some of the worst commentators imaginable.

It's clearly a 3... what's the sense of reviewing it if your going to overturn a correct call... and Matthews was clearly fouled in front if ref
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 01:20:16 AM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
FT attempts
Memphis 29, Orlando 9

Don't be naive

Calls against Boston were absurd the other night too. Kobe had more fouls on him than did any of the Celtics combined for awhile during the first half of the game

Well, the same happens to players like James Harden, Kevin Martin, etc as well. You can't say Kobe's not good at drawing fouls. There was probably a couple bad calls, but it isn't naive to disagree with your notion.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 01:21:20 AM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
FT attempts
Memphis 29, Orlando 9

Don't be naive

Yep. sterNBA is at it again.

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 01:25:34 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
The death of Jerry Buss made them "determined". Notice how the media are putting drama after the owner's death.

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 01:25:56 AM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
FT attempts
Memphis 29, Orlando 9

Don't be naive

Houston and Golden State, the two teams playing tonight that the Lakers are chasing in the playoff race, both won.  Golden State won in an OT game.

So the Lakers gained ground on neither team.  What an awesome conspiracy concocted by the NBA.  Simply genius!

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 01:27:51 AM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
FT attempts
Memphis 29, Orlando 9

Don't be naive

Houston and Golden State, the two teams playing tonight that the Lakers are chasing in the playoff race, both won.  Golden State won in an OT game.

So the Lakers gained ground on neither team.  What an awesome conspiracy concocted by the NBA.  Simply genius!

Doesn't matter. Wait for it, Houston and Golden State and Utah will lose most of its games in the next month or so.

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 01:29:10 AM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
FT attempts
Memphis 29, Orlando 9

Don't be naive

Please answer me two questions - since I'm naive:

1) Why didn't this start in October?  Why make a marquee franchise look awful for months and drag it through the mud?

2) Why would the NBA let Golden State and Houston win tonight (in loseable games for both)?  To get into the playoffs, the Lakers have to gain ground on the teams ahead of them.  That's how the playoffs work.

Bonus questions -

Why have the Lakers had such poor playoff showings in the last two years?  Did the refs forget the conspiracy?

Do you think the Celtics have ever gained a benefit in calls in their long history when playing against a team with less superstar players?

So many questions come to mind when the end goal of a conspiracy is to make a team look awful and then hand them an 8 seed.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 01:43:47 AM by celtsfan84 »

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 01:38:14 AM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
FT attempts
Memphis 29, Orlando 9

Don't be naive

Doesn't matter. Wait for it, Houston and Golden State and Utah will lose most of its games in the next month or so.

Do you think that Houston/Golden State/Utah aren't making the playoffs for actual basketball related reasons or because you think the NBA is rigged?
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 01:39:34 AM »

Offline JoT

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
I didn't watch, but I saw some people (Blazers and non Blazers fans) get mad about the refs in the Lakers game.

While I was sad to see San Antonio lose, I was happy to see Golden State win and was happy to see Houston win.
I hope they both along with Utah and the other bottom teams keep playing and winning so that the Lakers miss the playoffs.

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 01:42:25 AM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
I'm with celtsfan84 on this one, even though he told me last summer that Brook Lopez was only worth MLE money.  ;)

While there were some terrible calls tonight, I think it has more to do with the Lakers being the home team with crowd influence than "the fix is in".
The only color that matters is GREEN