Author Topic: Celtics sign DJ White(10 day)  (Read 14326 times)

Re: Celtics sign DJ White(10 day)
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2013, 12:51:40 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
He's now the only White guy on the team :-X
He's our new Scal  ;D

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2013, 07:27:37 AM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
Solid move. This is a stop gap measure while we wait to learn of big man buy outs.

Completely agree. Danny is just bringing in some bigger bodies to help eat up some minutes while waiting to see if there are any surprise buyouts. The kid was playing pretty well in China, which I know doesn't mean much in terms of being able to play in the nba, but it seems like we may have already gotten lucky with Terrence Williams so maybe lightning strikes twice.  A little more depth behind Bass at the 4 will let Doc have the option of playing Green more at SF where he has been playing well lately.

Don't immediately trash the move because he isn't a 7 footer, Danny tried to pair him with a 10 day contract for Tim Ohlbrecht but he turned it down (which I've never heard of a D-league player doing). I expect 2 or 3 more 10 day contracts to be tested out before they finally settle on who to fill the roster out with.

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2013, 08:28:46 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
i think danny is allergic to legit 7 footers.

You don't need to be 7 feet to play PF.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 08:44:51 AM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2013, 08:55:56 AM »

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23

here is the problem.........

d'j' white 10 days contract how can we see if d'j' white is a good pick-up if doc will bench him? right? so... green starting at 4 and white as back-up at 4...bass is out... we should have traded this guy for a center...

hate d.j. white 6’9 as center
danny will add a buy out player for sure or overseas CENTER or d-league
bass will be out of rotation also wilcox maybe 7 minutes a game
melo 1 or 2 or 3 minutes only

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2013, 12:45:37 PM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39
Sorry, but quality legit 7 footers are a premium and if they were worth signing they'd already be on a team. 

The rest of the NBA does not cater to serve as a pipeline of talent for the Celtics.  It doesn't work that way.  Other teams want those amazing 7 feet tall, great rebounders, great defensive players with NBA range just as much as you, me, and Ainge do.

It's this kind of moronic thinking that leads to all the "FIRE AINGE FOR NOT BEING ABLE TO CLONE DWIGHT HOWARD AND SIGN HIM FOR VET MIN CONTRACTS" posts.

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2013, 12:57:50 PM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
Can you name a legit 7 footer that is available? Just curious..

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2013, 05:23:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
when is this deal going to finalize? does DJ WHITE have another offer?

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2013, 07:04:45 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
im a little tired of the obsession with 7 footers. there are no 7 footers available that can play effective basketball. 7 footers, let alone those  that can play NBA basketball, do NOT grow on trees.

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2013, 07:27:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
im a little tired of the obsession with 7 footers. there are no 7 footers available that can play effective basketball. 7 footers, let alone those  that can play NBA basketball, do NOT grow on trees.

agreed. Usually 7 ft guys lack co ordination, quickness and athleticism. If they have it like Mcgee, they lack bbiq.

If you can find a 6'9-6'11 guy with large wingspan or vertical leap or both, and usually they have the things i list above plus bbiq , than you are going to be pleased.

DJ White's minor problem is , he should rebound better. Maybe leaving for China has made him hungrier. For a pf he has ok height at about 6'9, large wingspan, leaping skills, hands. I've seen him rebound and he aint no melo. Actually pretty good. Just needs to go after it with a little more agression

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2013, 09:08:16 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

here is the problem.........

d'j' white 10 days contract how can we see if d'j' white is a good pick-up if doc will bench him? right? so... green starting at 4 and white as back-up at 4...bass is out... we should have traded this guy for a center...

hate d.j. white 6’9 as center
danny will add a buy out player for sure or overseas CENTER or d-league
bass will be out of rotation also wilcox maybe 7 minutes a game
melo 1 or 2 or 3 minutes only
I really really doubt it.  Melo is getting ZERO minutes unless there is a major injury like KG going down. Melo is simply not NBA-ready.  Wilcox' minutes will go up, significantly.  He is currently the backup center and works well in an uptempo system which Doc will HAVE to play to make up for the lack of front court size. As far a Bass, some don't like him but he has a fairly reliable jumpshot and can defend pretty well.  That's a perfect role on this team, especially as a starter. 

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2013, 05:54:56 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
My feelings about DJ White are that it looks like more of the same big men Ainge has been rolling out there for several years now, which is frustrating.  White's another poor rebounding big who is a pick and pop, not pick and roll player.  I understand size and rebounding are hard to come by on the marginal market but [dang], this guy is a bigger Bass. 

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2013, 06:01:58 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
My feelings about DJ White are that it looks like more of the same big men Ainge has been rolling out there for several years now, which is frustrating.  White's another poor rebounding big who is a pick and pop, not pick and roll player.

One could argue that we have not had many low post players during the Doc regime. JO, Shaq, Big Al, Powe and non of them last awhile.  Our system is about spacing and jumpshots.  Doc seems a prisoner to his system and unable to adapt if for a true post player.

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2013, 01:26:41 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
A. Sherrod Blakely ‏@SherrodbCSN
#celticstalk: D.J White is with the #Celtics here in Portland, but his clearance paperwork from China has yet to arrive.

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2013, 01:36:34 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Maybe because Doc joked about it. They can be pretty sensitive at times.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2013, 10:32:10 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
A. Sherrod Blakely ‏@SherrodbCSN
#celticstalk: D.J White is with the #Celtics here in Portland, but his clearance paperwork from China has yet to arrive.

i'm ultra glad to hear this. We need this guy. Bass and Wilcox are not doing much underneath the basket either on offense or defense.

I hope it clears soon