Author Topic: The real path to a rebuild  (Read 1383 times)

Re: The real path to a rebuild
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 03:49:58 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
It seems obvious to me that keeping our one young superstar level player and rebuilding around him is the best path to rebuilding.  I'm continually surprised that this seems to be a minority opinion around here. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2013, 04:01:12 PM »

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96
It seems obvious to me that keeping our one young superstar level player and rebuilding around him is the best path to rebuilding.  I'm continually surprised that this seems to be a minority opinion around here.

TP.
Shocking to feel like I'm joining you in the minority on this. Rebuild around Rondo. This team has never been constructed around Rondo. He is what you build around going forward.

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2013, 04:16:16 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

TP.
Shocking to feel like I'm joining you in the minority on this. Rebuild around Rondo. This team has never been constructed around Rondo. He is what you build around going forward.

I think Rondo's lack of leadership & questionable social skills have a lot to do with it. The guy is prickly on a good day. When GMs around the league are turning down solid offers for him you know there's clearly a lot going on behind the scenes that we as fans aren't privy to.

Judging by the way we've played in his absence i'd say many of the issues are with him. Don't kill the messenger guys i can't help what i see with my own two eyes.

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013, 04:34:35 PM »

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96

TP.

I think Rondo's lack of leadership & questionable social skills have a lot to do with it. The guy is prickly on a good day. When GMs around the league are turning down solid offers for him you know there's clearly a lot going on behind the scenes that we as fans aren't privy to.

Judging by the way we've played in his absence i'd say many of the issues are with him. Don't kill the messenger guys i can't help what i see with my own two eyes.

And there is just as much rumor, quotes, etc about guys loving playing with Rondo, so really, either way, pro or con, I don't really make much of any of that chatter. I don't really think though that the only stuff we don't hear about is all negative. It is an easy narrative but not one I lend much credence to.

I also can't really look at that first stretch without Rondo, the schedule, the fire it lit, as some great proof that this team is better without Rondo long term.

I'm not killing you but I also am not seeing things the same.

I admit, I love watching Rondo play. I think he is a great and fascinating player. I love him being on the team I have always rooted for. And I think this team can be productive building around Rondo----a thing they have never done. Never has this team been built to his strengths. It has still always been PP and KG's style teams.

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 04:48:01 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
   There seems to be some kind of virus or something going around this blog.  Can some one explain this to me?  Who in the world is available that is better than Rondo when you are trying to rebuild? 
   I can name 3 players right now.  That's it and they are not available.  Lebron James, Kevin Durant and Chris Paul.  I can't name another player who is putting up better numbers than him.  You can make an argument for Howard or Rose and I will listen.  You can bank on the future that Kyrie Irving, Steph Curry or Anthony Davis might become better in the future (They are not there right now).  That is the end of the conversation.  It's gets even more obvious when you look at numbers during the playoffs which are the only thing that matters in any case. 
   I understand if you don't like Rondo for personal reasons or as a matter of taste.  But how in the world is trading him for Al Jefferson, Demarcus Cousins, Josh Smith, Pau Gasol or any of the other players supposed to make us better?  This year or in the future?  So what if you get a top 10 draft pick?  How many of the last 100 top 10 draft picks are better than Rondo?  maybe 5 at most?  that is like a 5% chance to possibly improve. 
   Rondo is a top 5 player in this League.  Whether you like him or not, this is simply a fact. He has the numbers, he has the wins, he has the records the only thing he doesn't have is the recognition. 
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams