Author Topic: Explain how Danny stays employed after this season?  (Read 7965 times)

Re: Explain how Danny stays employed after this season?
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2013, 01:16:53 PM »

Online Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
This last year he has made zero decent moves. Not one. Let's recap in no real order:

Let Ray Allen not only leave for nothing in return, but go to the team that will most likely win the title this year. a team in our own conference. This because Danny told Ray was gone before getting the deal locked down, thus angering Ray, particularly when the deal fell apart and they had to walk the whole thing back. Imagine your boss says: "You're fired, you're fired for a guy who may or may not be better than you. Oh wait, the guy does not want to work here. Nevermind, get back to work."

Signed Darko who clearly wanted no part of Doc and Doc wanted no part of him.

Drafted one player with a back problem. A back problem. Find one, One athlete with back issues that ever really recovers.

Drafts another player that will not contribute for at least another two years if ever. The team already makes fun of what a ding bat this guy is. Publicly. Makes me really confident.

Signed Jason Terry who either does not fit in or who aged twenty years in the off season. If Terry could do his job, score, we would not have needed to trade for Jordan Crawford after Barbosa, who also would not have played if Terry could score anymore, went down. Think about it.

Let Greg Stiemsma go when we really could have used him and kept him had we cared. He has been better than Darko and Collins while playing for the Wolves.

Traded too much and then paid too much for Courtney Lee. Now in fairness Lee has finally started to show a pulse but we gave up too much for him. E'Twaun Moore has been just as good for millions less and we lost the Charlotte Bobcats first pick in the second round of this upcoming draft, which right now would be the 31st pick. Now this upcoming draft does not have any real stars but by all accounts it is deep. I would much rather have had Moore and that pick than Lee overpaid at 5 million per year for another four years.

Signed Jeff Green for nine million dollars a year for four years. I do not need to even go into this. everybody on this board and everybody in the NBA knows two things about that deal. One, the Celtics were bidding against nobody. Two, that Green was the most obscenely overpaid player in the off season. Think I am exaggerating? Garnett makes an average of 11.5 million per season over the term of his deal. Green makes nine. With an extra year. Nuff said.

Went through the trade deadline when we desperately needed big men and came away with Jordan Crawford. Now on the face of it, I like getting Crawford for nothing. He can flat out score and is dirt cheap. However, we have one center, KG and two power forwards, Bass and Wilcox. You know how many points we gave up in the paint against the Lakers the other night? Fifty four. Think that is going stop? Not real likely. So now we will use cast-offs to keep Wilcox and KG from burning out down the stretch. Great plan.

Danny's failings this year have effectively doomed us to be mediocre this year and next. Staying around .500, not getting a decent draft pick, never getting much better because we are capped out until 2015. Plus who has faith we can get a top flight free agent to sign here? Not one ever has. Now this year not being in the lottery is not a big deal. There are no real team changing players and picking at 18 or 19 which where we will most likely end up may not be much different than picking at 9 or 10. 2014's draft however is another case altogether. That draft is loaded. People think as good as 2003's draft. Being in the top 5 picks could change the franchise. Instead, Pierce and KG will be here for at least part of the year, keeping this team around .500 and out of the lottery. Keeping us in middle-of-the-road purgatory.

Being a team that stays in the middle, year after year, dooms a franchise. Nine times out of ten, you have crater to get back up. The only teams this is not the case for is Miami and L.A..They are attractive destinations for players so their ability to get free agents allows them to as the saying goes "reload" rather than "rebuild". This team won the '08 title by being bad, compiling draft picks, making good choices with those picks and then trading those picks for established stars. Danny has had a decent record drafting. This year he blew it. I must admit I still have faith he can draft well again. Too bad he will not have that 31st pick as well as our first rounder to prove it.

Now I get that for the sake of tradition and respect, letting KG and Pierce ride off together is a nice thought and may help the Celtics getting players down the line. They might look at that and say "that franchise is good to their guys, that means something to me." I hope they think that, but I doubt they will. They will look at the weather, the taxes and the lack of off-the-court fun to be had in New England and say "Miami, Dallas, L.A., OK. No way will I go to Boston." Sure Doc may help of course but I still think we are behind Miami, Dallas, Los Angeles and NYC for free agents no matter how honorable we end up being to KG and Paul.

So barring a miracle, it will have been five years since we last won a title, three since we have been to the finals at the end of this season. Yes. That long. Happy we held on to KG and Pierce now? Happy we have Lee, Terry and Green on the books for combined twenty million for the next three years? Nope, did not think so. Hope you like average, Boston fans. You are going to see a whole lot of it until 2016.

;D
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2013, 01:20:09 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
remember 06/07?  Danny has done more with less in the past, so just because we can't see the light doesn't mean that he has no plan.

Sorry but I do not see a real focused  plan.

I think he had a pretty clear, focused plan of not paying non-stars big money beyond 2012.  Once he got to 2012, he had a choice of continuing the KG era for a couple of years or blowing up the team completely.  Right now, the team has a clear focus of remaining KG-centric through next season, unless Ainge can acquire an All-Star caliber player or a high lottery pick.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2013, 01:28:34 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40

He didn't send out Ray.  Ray chose not to resign even after being offered a better deal.  We get it form your posts, you don't like DA.... 

Do you like or not like DA...? This is the question? No man. You wrong…I dot like the way he is managing the team. In particullar budged managment, that is maybe the most important part of GM of any team.

« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2013, 01:47:07 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584

He didn't send out Ray.  Ray chose not to resign even after being offered a better deal.  We get it form your posts, you don't like DA.... 

Do you like or not like DA...? This is the question? No man. You wrong…I dot like the way he is managing the team. In particullar budged managment, that is maybe the most important part of GM of any team.
Ahhh, I see.  You are looking at it from the Ownership point of view. I haven't heard any public complaints from the rest of the ownership.  If Danny is fired, I guess I will have to reappraise my point of view.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!