Author Topic: Tonight's game critical  (Read 1219 times)

Tonight's game critical
« on: February 22, 2013, 10:43:47 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Continued poor play and a loss against the woeful Suns would be a bad sign. They were okay against the Nuggets and brutally bad against the Lakers. A loss tonight would mean three in a row and a continued reversion back to the mean -- a .500 team and a low seed playoff team. A return to pre-all star break style of play and a victory might mean this team is ready for a run and might get to the 5th seed. Who knew that a meaningless game in February in the desert might loom so important.

Re: Tonight's game critical
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 10:46:58 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Don't think it's critical at all, particularly with new pieces added while still working from a depleted big man roster perspective.

That said, we should wipe the floor with the Suns.

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 10:47:03 AM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
  • Anything is possible!
yeah totally agree, was thinking the same. Need a W tonight

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 10:48:21 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Continued poor play and a loss against the woeful Suns would be a bad sign. They were okay against the Nuggets and brutally bad against the Lakers. A loss tonight would mean three in a row and a continued reversion back to the mean -- a .500 team and a low seed playoff team. A return to pre-all star break style of play and a victory might mean this team is ready for a run and might get to the 5th seed. Who knew that a meaningless game in February in the desert might loom so important.

Don't know if I'd call this game a "must-win," but in general I agree with you.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 10:48:45 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
One particular game is never "critical."  Especially when it's past the deadline and no real changes can be made until the off-season.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 10:51:00 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
One particular game is never "critical."  Especially when it's past the deadline and no real changes can be made until the off-season.

I think it is critical because they played p--- poor Wednesday night and looked like the team that lost 6 in a row before it won 7 in a row. And, against the Nuggets, while the game was close, there was no ball movement on offense and they looked lost much of the game. Obviously it is not a must win, but if they cannot beat the awful Suns, it is not a good sign.

Plus, I thought now that the trade deadline is passed, all of the players can now stop worrying and they will begin to play awesome basketball? At least I read that a lot on this here blog.  ;D

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 11:06:44 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I think it is critical because they played p--- poor Wednesday night and looked like the team that lost 6 in a row before it won 7 in a row. And, against the Nuggets, while the game was close, there was no ball movement on offense and they looked lost much of the game. Obviously it is not a must win, but if they cannot beat the awful Suns, it is not a good sign.

Plus, I thought now that the trade deadline is passed, all of the players can now stop worrying and they will begin to play awesome basketball? At least I read that a lot on this here blog.  ;D

Well, my point is that one game is not going to decide whether they are the team they were before Rondo's injury or the one that showed up immediately after.

That will be demonstrated over the rest of the season.

My guess is somewhere in between.  Not a great team, but not a truly mediocre one, either.  They'll be competitive in a post-season series but as soon as they face the Heat or Pacers they'll be done.  The Knicks or Nets would probably handle them in a seven game series, too, considering that they'd have home court advantage.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 02:54:56 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I agree with Vinnie.  I'd really like to see a win tonight against the Suns.  I feel like a three game losing streak, while not necessarily devastating, would set us back.  We need to keep building on our strong run that we went on right after losing Rondo. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 09:09:54 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Well, KG not playing tonight... still critical game?

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 11:18:19 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
OK vinnie, I'll give this one to you. I think there's plenty of confidence the team can build from this win.

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 11:19:15 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Big win, team!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 11:22:26 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
That said, we should wipe the floor with the Suns.

and did.

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 11:27:45 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
They did absolutely what they had to do. Green was immense and the new guys looked good. Phoenix was a lot worse than I thought and on top of that, they didn't even try. Hard to judge anything when your opponent plays absolutely no d.  Important win tonight. Really interested in how they do Sunday and Monday. I am sure Tommy has them winning the championship.