Author Topic: Chris Wilcox was supposed to be traded over collins.  (Read 7363 times)

Re: Chris Wilcox was supposed to be traded over collins.
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2013, 01:46:22 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
Here's my speculation of (hopefully) what happened (because it would not make sense to me otherwise):

Danny initially offered Fab + Leandro for Crawford.

The Wiz just wanted to clear the cap space and ask for Wilcox.

Danny accepts, Wilcox declines.

Impasse...

Wiz says screw it and takes Collins + Leandro.
My speculation goes like this.  Danny calls and says what will it take to get Crawford? The reply is Melo.

Danny says he'll think about it. They call back and say we don't want any long term salary, so how about Barbosa?

Danny says yes, but money doesn't match, so he says Wilcox or Collins? They say Wilcox.

Danny talks to Wilcox AND Doc, neither are happy so Danny says, how about Collins? Wiz say OK, and the deal is done.

« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2013, 02:17:31 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I liked Collins for the few minutes of acceptable service he provided; and a few extra minutes in games with large opposing centers.  Useful, but should be replaceable.

Wilcox brings something extra including a more athletic skillset and a pair of really effective hands near the hoop offensively.  Unfortunately, he does not rebound regularly with the kind of energy and anticipation that would make him a valued banger.  But I do like him.

Given (I think it was) Doc's comments after the Suns game that alluded to Wilcox not always giving the type of effort that he gave on Friday, I think there is some ongoing frustration about Wilcox.  The implication was that the C's coaching staff (and I would guess GM too) see Wilcox as able to provide more than he is providing and that it is consistent effort that is the core issue.

I love watching him on the 'oop', he seems to handle the ball really well in those cricumstances leading me to believe he is very well coordinated.  Wish he was totally invested in rebounding -- a pretty good size body, pretty good legs and very good hands -- he should be able to make more of an impact on the boards.

« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2013, 02:24:36 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I wonder if DA wanted to keep Collins over Wilcox because its easier to replace what Wilcox does then it is to replace a 7 footer. Yeah Collins wasn't fun to watch, but he was the only guy with size we had.

Now if we can get the effort that Wilcox gave Friday night at least every other game i would be happy, it was really fun to watch him get out and run.

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2013, 02:24:42 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I liked Collins for the few minutes of acceptable service he provided; and a few extra minutes in games with large opposing centers.  Useful, but should be replaceable.

Wilcox brings something extra including a more athletic skillset and a pair of really effective hands near the hoop offensively.  Unfortunately, he does not rebound regularly with the kind of energy and anticipation that would make him a valued banger.  But I do like him.

Given (I think it was) Doc's comments after the Suns game that alluded to Wilcox not always giving the type of effort that he gave on Friday, I think there is some ongoing frustration about Wilcox.  The implication was that the C's coaching staff (and I would guess GM too) see Wilcox as able to provide more than he is providing and that it is consistent effort that is the core issue.

I love watching him on the 'oop', he seems to handle the ball really well in those cricumstances leading me to believe he is very well coordinated.  Wish he was totally invested in rebounding -- a pretty good size body, pretty good legs and very good hands -- he should be able to make more of an impact on the boards.
If it is true that Danny asked Doc to choose between Collins and Wilcox to stay, and he chose Collins, then was he choosing consistent effort over better talent  ???

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2013, 02:28:19 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

If it is true that Danny asked Doc to choose between Collins and Wilcox to stay, and he chose Collins, then was he choosing consistent effort over better talent  ???

Pretty much what you want in a role player (and everyone else):  consistent effort.

« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2013, 12:33:03 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Okay. Gotta resuscitate this thread.

Only watched parts of the last 2 games but Wilcox contributed in both. The Warriors one more so than the Jazz game.

But, dang, for the min you seriously can't ask for more than 8 points 7 boards OR give or take* 2 blocks and 3 steals and some rebounds (in the Jazz game).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 12:45:27 AM by bfrombleacher »

« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2013, 01:50:36 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Only watched parts of the last 2 games but Wilcox contributed in both. The Warriors one more so than the Jazz game.

But, dang, for the min you seriously can't ask for more than 8 points 7 boards OR give or take* 2 blocks and 3 steals and some rebounds (in the Jazz game).

Doc said that Wilcox had to step up his game. He said that Wilcox knew that and came to him after the trade (before Doc could come to him and talk about it), he talked about having to be better and more consistent. I mean, I'd come talk to Doc too after he called me out publicly. I think it's true they wanted to keep Collins over Cox b/c of Collin's role in the locker room and he is so consistent on the court (always did what he was told and always gave effort)! Doc really loves consistent effort and he doesn't feel like Cox has his head in the game at times. I think it's more to do with his surgery than anything, people forget that he had the surgery like 4months after Green. Look at what Green's docs told him and expect the same for Wilcox except it's probably worse for Wilcox since it was 4 months after (i think 4) G8's surgery and Cox is older. Again, read what Green's doctors said and apply it to Cox.

He has really stepped up since the trade and his growing role but I expect b/c of the surgery he will still have ups and downs, as will Green.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2013, 02:04:03 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Doc said that Wilcox had to step up his game. He said that Wilcox knew that and came to him after the trade (before Doc could come to him and talk about it), he talked about having to be better and more consistent. I mean, I'd come talk to Doc too after he called me out publicly. I think it's true they wanted to keep Collins over Cox b/c of Collin's role in the locker room and he is so consistent on the court (always did what he was told and always gave effort)! Doc really loves consistent effort and he doesn't feel like Cox has his head in the game at times. I think it's more to do with his surgery than anything, people forget that he had the surgery like 4months after Green. Look at what Green's docs told him and expect the same for Wilcox except it's probably worse for Wilcox since it was 4 months after (i think 4) G8's surgery and Cox is older. Again, read what Green's doctors said and apply it to Cox.

He has really stepped up since the trade and his growing role but I expect b/c of the surgery he will still have ups and downs, as will Green.

Doc put Wilcox in his doghouse too early and with little patience, something Doc seems to afford a myriad of other players. In fact, it seems like Doc rewarded some for their poor play. Overplaying Collins was one of his more idiotic moves this season too, glad he's gone considering that perspective. For the life of me I don't understand why Doc would want Collins over Wilcox, just doesn't make sense, unless one is worried about his health going forward, but doubt that had anything to do with it.

That said, Wilcox was a bit out of sync defensively early on, but who are we kidding, just about everyone on our team was. What was more disturbing to me is that out of all the bigs, he's the one that had spent less time playing with KG on the floor. In fact, up until a couple of weeks ago I'd say that he'd played no more than 8 minutes total the whole season with KG on the floor. In all, Wilcox wasn't put in a position to succeed, particularly defensively.

What I found hilarious is that around December Wilcox got injured, and then Doc had this brilliant idea of starting Collins, benching Bass... which left me scratching my head. That's a move he should've done in the first place, but with Wilcox while everyone was healthy. Just don't understand Doc at all at times. Well I do understand him, just not finding a lot in agreement with him lately,

Wilcox's rebounding has been disappointing though, but he seems to be picking it up better recently.

« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2013, 02:09:47 AM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green

Doc put Wilcox in his doghouse too early and with little patience, something Doc seems to afford a myriad of other players. In fact, it seems like Doc rewarded some for their poor play. Overplaying Collins was one of his more idiotic moves this season too, glad he's gone considering that perspective. For the life of me I don't understand why Doc would want Collins over Wilcox, just doesn't make sense, unless one is worried about his health going forward, but doubt that had anything to do with it.

That said, Wilcox was a bit out of sync defensively early on, but who are we kidding, just about everyone on our team was. What was more disturbing to me is that out of all the bigs, he's the one that had spent less time playing with KG on the floor. In fact, up until a couple of weeks ago I'd say that he'd played no more than 8 minutes total the whole season with KG on the floor. In all, Wilcox wasn't put in a position to succeed, particularly defensively.

What I found hilarious is that around December Wilcox got injured, and then Doc had this brilliant idea of starting Collins, benching Bass... which left me scratching my head. That's a move he should've done in the first place, but with Wilcox while everyone was healthy. Just don't understand Doc at all at times. Well I do understand him, just not finding a lot in agreement with him lately,

Wilcox's rebounding has been disappointing though, but he seems to be picking it up better recently.

I think its safe to say that all of us would play Wilcox over Collins any day.

I too was kind of dumbfounded when Doc chose Collins over Wilcox, in some strange way, I think that's part of his "coaching" style, to maybe motivate Chris and get him to bust his ass when he's on the court to earn more minutes?
I don't know, just a hunch.
But I'm glad he's playing now.
More KG and Wilcox in the front court, that stretch they had together was pretty awesome.

« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2013, 04:29:01 AM »

Offline celticsleyte

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
I like what Wilcox brings on offense.  Think his problem on this team has been that he is not really a center and does not really anchor the defense.  Doc has a major bias towards defense so can see where he is going to have it tough staying out of the dog house.  In my opinion he is better than Collins overall and I hope he is rounding into shape for the playoffs.  Can not be easy coming off heart surgery ala Jeff Green but older and earlier in his recovery.