Author Topic: Don't Blame Danny  (Read 6957 times)

Re: Don't Blame Danny
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2013, 06:45:07 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I applaud KG for using his no trade clause, if in fact, he did.

Made my day.  Don't care if it bothers others.  Too bad for you.

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2013, 06:51:33 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

To each his own i guess.

You root for the name on the back of the jersey.

I root for the name on the front.

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2013, 07:15:58 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

To each his own i guess.

First, there's nothing wrong with rooting for individual players, especially those who have shown passion and loyalty to the franchise.

Second, just because somebody doesn't see eye to eye with you doesn't mean they're not every bit the fan of the franchise that you are.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2013, 07:23:46 PM »

Offline dlpin

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 183

Deandre Jordan and Eric Bledsoe are "garbage" players? In what world, say you?

The cap space that could be created in the case of a sudden KG retirement is much, much more valuable than two players who at best would be role players on a championship team.

All these garbage trades people keep proposing (Jordan, Bledsoe, Cousins) are all great ways to ensure a decade of mediocrity.

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2013, 09:43:39 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

The cap space that could be created in the case of a sudden KG retirement is much, much more valuable than two players who at best would be role players on a championship team.

All these garbage trades people keep proposing (Jordan, Bledsoe, Cousins) are all great ways to ensure a decade of mediocrity.
we are going to be in a decade of mediocrity and/or crap anyway.  Rondo is too good a player to keep Boston from being terrible and if we let him walk for nothing it will be at least 3 or 4 years of being bad before there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  Boston needed to go all in at the deadline or go into full bore rebuilding.  The status quo just delays the inevitable.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2013, 10:20:36 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

we are going to be in a decade of mediocrity and/or crap anyway.  Rondo is too good a player to keep Boston from being terrible and if we let him walk for nothing it will be at least 3 or 4 years of being bad before there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  Boston needed to go all in at the deadline or go into full bore rebuilding.  The status quo just delays the inevitable.

Whatever we get for Rondo in a trade plus cap space is probably better than Rondo and Deandre Jordan.

I disagree somewhat with others re: Bledsoe.  I think he could have been an asset.

But then again, he could have topped out not much better than what he is now and then he wouldn't be worth nearly as much.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2013, 10:27:27 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

The good news is, based on what I've read over the last few years, we're already in year 4 or so of mediocrity and/or crap.

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2013, 10:28:13 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
i have just a small, non-kg related question.

phosita mentioned in his post that..

"- Fab Melo was originally in the Wizards deal, but the Wizards preferred a cheaper veteran expiring contract as filler to a 1st round pick big man with a few years left on a rookie contract."

i have not been able to find anything to back up this point on the wizards not wanting melo's contract. all i have seen is a rumor that first included him, then later replaced him with collins.

does anyone have a solid statement that the wizards said "no melo, give us the contract we can dump immediately"? or was it a case of the wizards asking for melo and then ainge saying no?

just curious.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2013, 10:28:49 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Agreed, to a degree.

I certainly think that those who considered moving Garnett and Pierce the prerequisite to a rebuild are off-point.

The key to beginning a rebuild is the return Danny can get for Rondo, hopefully in the summer once he's healthy and marketable again.

He is the most valuable asset the franchise has, and his performance pre-injury certainly adds to the numerous questions about whether he's a rebuilding block or a trade asset.

To me, it's clear - he is the latter. Unfortunate he went down when he did, or perhaps Danny could have gotten value for him at the deadline.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2013, 10:33:31 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

To each his own i guess.

First, there's nothing wrong with rooting for individual players, especially those who have shown passion and loyalty to the franchise.

Second, just because somebody doesn't see eye to eye with you doesn't mean they're not every bit the fan of the franchise that you are.

Eh, Roy, I coached two-dozen players over the years who displayed passion and loyalty to the team.

And none of them could contribute significantly to winning.

Personally, I am not wired toward the individual player worship. Not how a coach can or should think. Or a general manager, for that matter. See Green, Jeff for further information.

I like players who contribute consistently to winning, with as few negatives as possible. Can you keep the basketball moving? Do you take good shots consistently? Do you make consistently good decisions with the basketball? Can you get the tough rebound?

Beyond that, meh. They are pieces to be reshuffled to find the above.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2013, 10:40:26 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

"- Fab Melo was originally in the Wizards deal, but the Wizards preferred a cheaper veteran expiring contract as filler to a 1st round pick big man with a few years left on a rookie contract."

i have not been able to find anything to back up this point on the wizards not wanting melo's contract. all i have seen is a rumor that first included him, then later replaced him with collins.

does anyone have a solid statement that the wizards said "no melo, give us the contract we can dump immediately"? or was it a case of the wizards asking for melo and then ainge saying no?

just curious.

Admittedly, there was some amount of speculation here on my part.

But from what I read it sounded pretty clear that Danny put Melo in the deal.  Melo was on the table.  I believe the Wizards could have had Melo if they wanted him.  But they chose the cap savings over the rookie deal project.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2013, 10:43:09 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
KG saved the Celtics.  Thank you KG. 

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2013, 10:44:24 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

just curious.

But from what I read it sounded pretty clear that Danny put Melo in the deal.  Melo was on the table.  I believe the Wizards could have had Melo if they wanted him.  But they chose the cap savings over the rookie deal project.

Michael Lee of the Washington Post reported that the Wizards rejected Lee, and wanted the cost savings:

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2013/2/21/4014942/jordan-crawford-trade-wizards-rejected-fab-melo-offer-preferred

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2013, 10:50:20 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

just curious.

Michael Lee of the Washington Post reported that the Wizards rejected Lee, and wanted the cost savings:

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2013/2/21/4014942/jordan-crawford-trade-wizards-rejected-fab-melo-offer-preferred

yep. this addresses my question perfectly. i give thanks to both of you.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2013, 11:05:23 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Agreed, to a degree.

I certainly think that those who considered moving Garnett and Pierce the prerequisite to a rebuild are off-point.

The key to beginning a rebuild is the return Danny can get for Rondo, hopefully in the summer once he's healthy and marketable again.

He is the most valuable asset the franchise has, and his performance pre-injury certainly adds to the numerous questions about whether he's a rebuilding block or a trade asset.

To me, it's clear - he is the latter. Unfortunate he went down when he did, or perhaps Danny could have gotten value for him at the deadline.

Hopefully Danny's smart enough to judge Rondo more on the deep playoff runs he's led the team on that a 1-2 month stretch during the season when the team's not playing well which we seem to see every year.