Author Topic: Don't Blame Danny  (Read 6975 times)

Re: Don't Blame Danny
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 03:34:15 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
If Garnett retires at the end of the year honestly i don't know how ill feel about his legacy here if he nixed this trade.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/columnists/2013/02/case_claused_by_kevin_garnett_s_last_word

And how would you have felt about KG's legacy if he retired after Ray signed with Miami?  That's ok...? But taking a paycut to return to Boston (with a no-trade clause attached) on a team that had no realistic chance at a title and mostly wanted to use KG as a mentor for the younger generation... that's bad?... because he SUPPOSEDLY wouldn't agree to a THEORETICAL trade to the Clippers after we tricked him into coming back?

I really hope this didn't play out the way the media is presenting it.  That's pretty disrespectful to KG to trick him into coming back to Boston only to attempt to USE him as nothing more than a trade chip at the deadline.  I'd be pretty disappointed if I were KG and that happened.  It's a [dang] good thing he locked up that no-trade clause when he was debating between returning/fleeing and retiring.

I know it's sacrilige to question KG on this board but if he walks at the end of this year i will look at him a lot differently as will many other fans im sure. He goes to LA (his home) for a couple months and chases one last ring. We get nice little pieces. He retires then we sign him to a one day contract so he can retire a Celtic. Ala Nomar as i mentioned. What's the problem with that? I see it as a win/win for everyone.

But if he just walks and what Borges said is true then i think that's a really selfish move. Sorry if you disagree.

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2013, 03:39:11 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
If Garnett retires at the end of the year honestly i don't know how ill feel about his legacy here if he nixed this trade.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/columnists/2013/02/case_claused_by_kevin_garnett_s_last_word

And how would you have felt about KG's legacy if he retired after Ray signed with Miami?  That's ok...? But taking a paycut to return to Boston (with a no-trade clause attached) on a team that had no realistic chance at a title and mostly wanted to use KG as a mentor for the younger generation... that's bad?... because he SUPPOSEDLY wouldn't agree to a THEORETICAL trade to the Clippers after we tricked him into coming back?

I really hope this didn't play out the way the media is presenting it.  That's pretty disrespectful to KG to trick him into coming back to Boston only to attempt to USE him as nothing more than a trade chip at the deadline.  I'd be pretty disappointed if I were KG and that happened.  It's a [dang] good thing he locked up that no-trade clause when he was debating between returning/fleeing and retiring.

I know it's sacrilige to question KG on this board but if he walks at the end of this year i will look at him a lot differently as will many other fans im sure. He goes to LA (his home) for a couple months and chases one last ring. We get nice little pieces. He retires then we sign him to a one day contract so he can retire a Celtic. Ala Nomar as i mentioned. What's the problem with that? I see it as a win/win for everyone.

But if he just walks and what Borges said is true then i think that's a really selfish move. Sorry if you disagree.

What if he helps lead this team to an upset over Miami in the playoffs and a deeper than expected run?  Will you still think of his staying as selfish? 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2013, 03:39:33 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
In other words, "What have you done for me lately, KG?"

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013, 03:45:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Yeah, I don't think it's fair to question KG.  He wanted to stay where he's comfortable and where he's committed to play.

I think Ainge knew all along that if he were going to trade KG, he'd have to trade Pierce first.

That's why Pierce was shopped, reportedly for as little return as "expiring contracts and draft picks."  But no real offers were on the table -- as far as we know -- so Pierce was not dealt.  Therefore, KG didn't want to leave.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 03:46:31 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton

Yup. Pretty much. But that's professional sports in a nutshell. And no i don't see them upsetting Miami. Im a fan but i don't drink that Lil Wayne strength kool-aid. Sorry guys i'd rather have an up and coming super atheltic Center. And a PG who i could pair with bradley for the best defensive backcourt in the league. I'd move Rondo for Cousins and we've got one heck of a team with little down time. I was a fan through the crappy years and ill be a fan if those times come soon again. Doesn't mean i have to like it though. I'd rather avoid the pitino years again.

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 04:19:26 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Don't Blame Danny...means that situaton is not good, and somebody has to be blamed.

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 04:35:23 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Ainge put this disaster together, so of course he is to be blamed.  It is his team.  It is his mess.  It is his fault.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 04:43:07 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

It's Boston's fault for giving him a no trade clause if they ever dreamed of trading him.
And I don't agree that we would get nice pieces. They offered us garbage players.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 04:58:47 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton

It's Boston's fault for giving him a no trade clause if they ever dreamed of trading him.
And I don't agree that we would get nice pieces. They offered us garbage players.

Deandre Jordan and Eric Bledsoe are "garbage" players? In what world, say you?

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 05:02:00 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'm still wondering... what are we actually blaming Danny for?

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 05:04:44 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156

Not making the team better or worse, for the status quo prevailing after the deadline.

I for one am thrilled. Danny made a great little move and that's all we needed imo.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 05:05:02 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Danny was asked if he thought the celtics could still win a title this year. "Things would have to fall our way" That's as close to a NO as you're going to get.

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2013, 05:05:50 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Not making the team better or worse, for the status quo prevailing after the deadline.

I for one am thrilled. Danny made a great little move and that's all we needed imo.

Yep.

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2013, 05:54:43 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Always moat responsible for difficult situation are GM and the head coach. Of course DA is most t responsible than other factor like Doc and players

I do not see a real focused plan. This since 2008. He almost sign old broken players (JO, Rasheed, Shaq etc,) sent out 2 players of starting line-up (RAY+Perk) and did not get real replacements for them. I see no plans. For example, if he is gone rebuild the team, he cannot offer PP 16 millions/year at age of 35, and cannot sign KG 3 years contract for 34 mill/year at the age of 36, because the budged cannot let you to improve the roster. I see a very dark budged future unless he trade KG or PP or Rondo.

The most important issue is he did not plan the future. Is going to be around a new big 3 legacy? Around whom? Some players sign in October and traded in March (Barbosa)…Does not have sense… Considering Rondo important future, but in the other side, talking to the LAL GM to trade him…

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2013, 06:35:16 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Deandre Jordan and Eric Bledsoe are "garbage" players? In what world, say you?

I agree with him.

Jordan is Perkins with better legs, at a higher salary - offensively challenged. No way is he worth $11 million a year.

Bledsoe has shooting issues.

I would not object to moving Garnett for useful long-term pieces.

The Clippers offered nothing of the same. No interest in Jordan, mild interest in Bledsoe. Neither are the caliber of players we will need to rebuild.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."