Author Topic: How do the San Antonio Spurs do it?  (Read 6966 times)

How do the San Antonio Spurs do it?
« on: February 22, 2013, 09:18:06 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Man I don't want to sit here and drool over a franchise that's not green but this team just doesn't stop. They continue to constantly win regardless of who suits up. The build around their stars with players that don't wow you get they play well.

Obviously a lot of it is about Pop. This guy has clearly risen to the undisputed best coach in the NBA. I'm just rambeling here but last night they have the Clippers their worst loss of the season. Can't help but admire this franchise.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: How do the San Antonio Spurs do it?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 09:24:09 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
They do the best job of bringing in the role players that fits their style better then any other team. 

Pop then asks players to do what they can instead of trying to make them do what they can't.  (think the Celtics early this season having Terry play the Ray Allen role)

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 09:26:20 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Superb style switch to an offensive open court system and execution of that offense by the whole team.

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 09:27:56 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Tony Parker is the most underrated player in the game and a legit MVP candidate, and Duncan is one of the best big men in the game? manu is overrated at this point though...the rest of the role players play their roles to perfection

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 09:28:24 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Over the past six years we've basically had the same results as them in the post season.

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 09:29:39 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
How do they do what?

People here are whining that they're "forced to watch a couple of aging hall of famers muddle through the season and exit in the first/second round".

Well, since the last time they won a title, the Spurs have 2 first round and 1 second round exit in five years. And they haven't been to the NBA finals. They only just started making more serious noise this year.

What exactly are they doing that we aren't?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 09:31:50 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
1) Talent evaluation ~~ outside of Tim Duncan and Kahwi Leonard (15th pick), not a single rotation player on the Spurs was picked before the 20s of the 1st round, or the 2nd round. They draft and / or find smart players with a specific NBA skill (if not multiple ones).

2) Team construction ~~ no team understands better that it's often a waste of time to reach for "upside" in potential draftees and FAs when they donb't have top picks or huge cap space, respectively. They have a structured system of play, and they acquire based on it. That certainly includes international pros.

3) Financial discipline ~~ they don't overpay role guys. If Jeff Green had gotten his current deal in an offer from the Kings or the Blazers or the Bobcats, they'd have said -- good for you. Good luck. Better to lose you than to be handcuffed bu you. Yes, sometimes they trade for overpaid guys who have a couple of years left, but they always get attached talent back in return that fits the plan in #2 above.

4) Coaching ~~ Pop's the best, and he knows how to tell his team why their team and their system is superior. No egos. No spoiled brats. You buy in as a player, or you sit. The result is high efficiency. 
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 09:33:26 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
How do they do what?

People here are whining that they're "forced to watch a couple of aging hall of famers muddle through the season and exit in the first/second round".

Well, since the last time they won a title, the Spurs have 2 first round and 1 second round exit in five years. And they haven't been to the NBA finals. They only just started making more serious noise this year.

That's a fair point but the rack up so many wins during the regular season (despite their recent lack of real playoff success) they sit their stars and win games where they should get blown out.

I suppose if the celtics were just gonna get knocked out of the playoffs in the first round I'd like to at least watch them dominate the regular season.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 09:35:13 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Over the past six years we've basically had the same results as them in the post season.
Yeah very similar level contenders until this year. (Rondo being out etched that in stone)

Getting Splitter going as a second big man has been huge for them this year.

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 09:37:24 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

Its not that black and white tho. The spurs play in a much tougher conference. The year the celtics won it all the toughest team they had to beat was the cavs.........enough said.

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 09:38:04 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
How do they do what?

Certainly fair, but it's also fair to point out that they play in the West -- the far superior conference over that span, and still so...
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 09:39:23 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Its not that black and white tho. The spurs play in a much tougher conference. The year the celtics won it all the toughest team they had to beat was the cavs.........enough said.
The Lakers were by far the best team the C's faced in the playoffs. They housed the Spurs that year.

Cavs were a tougher match up because they had LBJ to handle Pierce and attack us. The Lakers had a pu pu plater of SFs they were using. Even then they played us tough in all the games but the last.

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 09:40:33 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
The spurs haven't won a title in awhile BUT BUT BUT! they always put themselves in the best position possible to do so *Good seeding staying consistent*. That's all you can really ask for. Get the best out of your team and pop does that. Meanwhile in boston.........

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 09:41:37 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
How do they do what?

That's a fair point but the rack up so many wins during the regular season (despite their recent lack of real playoff success) they sit their stars and win games where they should get blown out.

I suppose if the celtics were just gonna get knocked out of the playoffs in the first round I'd like to at least watch them dominate the regular season.
Again, don't see anything different with us: we have won games with Garnett out and with Rondo out. And for a good stretch there we racked more wins than the Spurs.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 09:52:07 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The Spurs do the best job of evaluating talent in the lower parts of the draft and scouting players overseas and acquiring their rights.

Because of that, the Spurs never have any shortage of capable role players on cheap deals at the back of their roster.  They don't have to make desperation moves or search the waiver wire.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain