Author Topic: Totally and utterly disappointed  (Read 14399 times)

Re: Totally and utterly disappointed
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2013, 10:21:27 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Im dissapointed that David West chose the Pacers over us. Also dissapointed that Chris Paul shut down the Rondo trade even tho he seems like a big kg fan

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2013, 10:24:20 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Im dissapointed that David West chose the Pacers over us. Also dissapointed that Chris Paul shut down the Rondo trade even tho he seems like a big kg fan

Yeah...  Add David West to this team, and we're still top contenders.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2013, 10:30:44 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Beats the heck out of hitching your wagon to Lotteryland and reliving the glory days of '06-07. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2013, 10:45:34 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
29 teams fail to win a title every year. I say enjoy the ride, and take advantage of the opportunity to watc a couple of Hall of Famernls play for your favorite team.

Damage control........we came into the season with high hopes on winning a title.........and now we're reduced to having to settle for watching two hall of famers past their primes play and get bounced out of the first or second round.........yay......

Stuff happens.  It's not Danny's fault that Rondo, Sully, and Barbosa all had season-ending injuries.

It must suck being a sports fan, if there's no other joy than winning a title.

But wait. I thought this team is much better without Rondo (so said many of the posters on Celtics blog)

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2013, 10:47:18 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Indeed.  Missing out on Chris Paul and David West was a major bummer.

This team would have been great this season and last with Paul and West.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2013, 10:48:41 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1553
29 teams fail to win a title every year. I say enjoy the ride, and take advantage of the opportunity to watc a couple of Hall of Famernls play for your favorite team.

Damage control........we came into the season with high hopes on winning a title.........and now we're reduced to having to settle for watching two hall of famers past their primes play and get bounced out of the first or second round.........yay......

Stuff happens.  It's not Danny's fault that Rondo, Sully, and Barbosa all had season-ending injuries.

But wait. I thought this team is much better without Rondo (so said many of the posters on Celtics blog)

if you do not think we were moving the ball better without rondo hogging it then I cannot help you. go back and watch the games. geezus.Once the blur went down our movement for some reason went to crapola. among other things. trade deadline anxiety maybe?
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2013, 10:51:25 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Add someone who can perform near to David West's production and this can be a contender next season.  That someone might be a free agent who has a career year with the Celtics.

Maybe Memphis will keep going nuts with their desire to dump salary and try to trade Z-Bo or Marc Gasol for Pierce's shorter contract this summer.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2013, 10:53:16 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
This team can't win a title as presently constructed.  ...

Why are you even trying? Hasn´t it all been said several times at this point?

Isn´t it obvious that the soccermoms are more interested in keeping their binkies than having an open debate? Do they ever even adress the actual arguments? Aren´t the usual 15 suspects always the first to gang-up in "negative" threads with some fatalistic attitude about how they don´t care what´s best for the future of this franchise? How can you argue with one such guy, let alone a group of people?

They might be great guys to hang out and have a beer with, but they´re utterly unable to be rational when it comes to their favorite sports team.

In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2013, 10:55:31 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
The C's and the Red Sox are both in bridge years....except the C's are in a bridge  half decade

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2013, 10:57:39 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

if you do not think we were moving the ball better without rondo hogging it then I cannot help you. go back and watch the games. geezus.Once the blur went down our movement for some reason went to crapola. among other things. trade deadline anxiety maybe?

You should probably go back and watch some old games as well. You'll see some of the things people claim never happen, such as Rondo advancing the ball on the break or a plethora of plays that *aren't* Rondo dribbling the ball for 20 seconds.

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2013, 11:02:21 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

probably true, but we might have won the title last year, and David West on the team hopefully would have meant Bass wouldn't have been signed to that awful contract.  West also would have put Boston much closer to the one player away position, where trading Rondo for something to help this year might have led to a true title contender.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2013, 11:07:29 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

But you are making a straw argument.  OP explicitly states that it is not just about winning a title every year.  Its about either having a title shot OR building/growing a young team/players.  I happen to agree, that is my 'joy' watching sports/athletes.  Either winning or growing.  I don't enjoy all star games or farewell tours, sorry.  Loved Roy Jones, but don't want to see him 'competing' at a lower level, in fact it is a little depressing.  Same with KG and PP.  I would rather have cheered a young Celtics team AND watched two HOF'ers make another run at a title on a contending team. 

But unfortunately, imho, we are now all aboard KG's victory lap/farewell tour, which is essentially the same act with less wins.  Just like Roy Jones...kinda sad.

We are developing young players.  Bradley and Sully played big minutes.  We added Crawford.  Green is still pretty young. 

Would our future be appreciably brighter if we had Eric Bledsoe and an overpaid DeAndre Jordan, along with Kris Humphries and Marshon Brooks?  I say no.
Bradley, Sully,  Crawwford, and Green are role players.  They aren't guys that can really be key cogs in a title team (sully possibly could be, but he has a major issue with his back, which will probably haunt him forever).  Role players are easily replaceable.  None of those guys could be an Al Jefferson type potential, which also limits what you can acquire for them via trade.  Boston has Rondo, Garnett, and Pierce that have any real value.   PP and KG will only decreseas in value and Rondo has a torn ACL and no one knows when he will be back.  Boston is far away from truly contending and not in a good position to rebuild.  It needed to do something at the deadline.  Take a step in one direction or another.  Standping pat was a terrible move.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2013, 11:12:23 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Personally, I don't ever want to see this team go back to lottery land.  I'd rather be "the Hawks" for five or six years, and slowly build the next contender through a series of smaller, smart moves over the course of that time span.

I know it goes against all conventional wisdom to think that an NBA franchise can rebuild while staying competitive, but I'd like to see Danny try it.  I think it can be done. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2013, 11:14:58 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
This team can't win a title as presently constructed.  That means Boston had two real options at the deadline.  Blow it up and look for assets (trading PP and KG and whatever else you could) OR try to add pieces to give the team a better shot at winning this year (that would have likely meant trading Rondo).  Adding Jordan Crawford does nothing for either of those goals.  Boston will likely be the 6th, 7th, or 8th seed and likely will not get out of the second round (if even the first), which just delays the inevitable.  Danny needed to move the team off of center.  Go for it or rebuild.  Sitting pat just wastes the season.  Congrats Danny, another year gone and another year Boston doesn't win the title or enter rebuilding looking for that next title winning group.

Another year? Last year we were the only team that could have beaten the Heat and we were up 3-2 on them. Honestly, given the Thunder's weak showing in the Finals, the ECF were actually the Finals...Anybody who claims we were not a contender last year is being intellectually dishonest. As it turned out, we were the ONLY contender other than the Heat.

This position is revisionist history. Year in and year out the Cs have been serious contenders that nobody has wanted to catch in a 7 game series. We have had some injuries derail Title runs but this is a feared team around the league.

Plus, it really burns me that people think that trading PP and KG for paltry "chips" is actually rebuilding. DeAndre Jordan and Eric Bledsoe were a non-stop, one-way ticket to Nowheres-ville. Trading KG for that package might have been one of the worst GM moves of all-time. And all we would be left with was watching our playoff run be handed over to one of the teams l like the least (the Clips). The air would have been so sucked out of our bubble I would have struggled to watch games.

As for making this current team better, I really don't know what to say. It's not like other GMs made moves that I can criticize Danny for not pouncing on. If Smith or Gortat had been moved for reasonable packages, I would be the first one to express disappointment. Just because I think we aren't that far from competing this yeaer even with all of our injuries. But that didn't happen, and that criticism of Danny could be directed at every other GM around the league. What about Sam Presti, the GM everyone says runs circles around Danny? Would you be happy as a Thunder fan this year with him doing nothing at the deadline AND trading away a potential future league MVP in Harden for "chips"?

The way Danny has played this season so far was really the only way to go. All the other rumored avenues were far, far inferior and could have been catastrophic.

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2013, 11:20:05 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

They might be great guys to hang out and have a beer with, but they´re utterly unable to be rational when it comes to their favorite sports team.

To varying extents I'm pretty sure this applies to the vast majority of people here.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain