Author Topic: How are traded salaries counted for the hard cap?  (Read 957 times)

How are traded salaries counted for the hard cap?
« on: February 21, 2013, 11:13:37 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
We have a $74.3 million hard cap this year, since we used the MLE.  My question is, how are the traded salaries handled?  Does the portion the Celtics have paid to Collins and Barbosa count, and the portion remaining of Crawford's salary this year?  Or do we no longer count any portion of Barbosa and Collins, and all of Crawford's total salary.  It makes logical sense to me that we should be charged the pro-rated portions of Collins, Barbosa, and Crawford during their respective time on the team, but I'm unsure if that's how it actually works.  Does anyone know?  I may have missed it in the CBA FAQ, or perhaps it was deemed so obvious as to not include it.

Re: How are traded salaries counted for the hard cap?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 11:23:47 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Q14 in the CBA FAQ notes that the full season salaries of players traded away mid-season are not counted as part of team salary.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 11:36:44 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Q14 in the CBA FAQ notes that the full season salaries of players traded away mid-season are not counted as part of team salary.

Thanks.  I guess in my head I couldn't decide if that meant that the entire season came off the books, or merely that not all of the season counted (i.e. por-ration.)  Reading it in isolation makes it sound more clear that the entire season comes off (although doing so makes the "hard cap" seem less hard, since we gained more space than we would have if traded salaries were all pro-rated, and yet any other players we sign this year will count at the pro-rated level.  I think.)

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 02:10:21 AM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Read somewhere that because of the hard cap, the Cs can only spend around $1 million. Does this mean we can't sign Terrence Williams to any contract this year assuming that $1 million will be used to sign another big guy?
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 02:17:25 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Read somewhere that because of the hard cap, the Cs can only spend around $1 million. Does this mean we can't sign Terrence Williams to any contract this year assuming that $1 million will be used to sign another big guy?

http://celticshub.com/2013/02/23/why-did-tim-ohlbrecht-turn-down-a-10-day-contract-offer-from-celtics/#more-35460

Apparently we can't afford to waive anyone once we sign them long term. And apparently that's why we're giving out 10 day deals, to stay flexible for March.

Hopefully we sign Williams.