Author Topic: Explain how Danny stays employed after this season?  (Read 7966 times)

Re: Explain how Danny stays employed after this season?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 11:03:47 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
We offered Ray double the money. He didnt want to stay. Besides Ray isnt playing very well at all this year. That is an empty point.

Regarding your back problems issue about sully; Dwight Howard looked fairly good against us yesterday after back surgery. Not only that, Dwight will continue to be dominant once he gets fully healthy.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 11:04:28 PM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110

The fact that unless you cheer without question any move this team makes your are derided and made fun of really saddens me. Can we not have a discussion over these points. I have sincerely believed since the start of this year that Danny had missed on a number of moves. I worried about signing Terry, I certainly had problems keeping Green and I hated our draft. So sue me. I have been a loyal fan of this team since the 80's I have loved them through the good and the bad. I think you can criticize a team and still care deeply.

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 11:06:08 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Danny just replaced Barbosa with Jordan Crawford for nothing other than Collins... He did more than most GMs at the deadline this year.

Seriously we could do way worse than Danny... you sound like Mazz...

To add: Danny would have been a fool to not take Sully at pick 21. And I bet you he still plays as a steal at 21 after the surgery

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 11:10:26 PM »

Offline rutzan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 85
please look up "sample size" on Google and let us know what you find...oh...and by the way...the celtics have played 52 games and have 30 games left...DA was hired May of 2003...how many people have a better track record...very few....and...DA did very well in phoenix before that as well...it's easy to cherry pick and try to pick someone apart...

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 11:11:47 PM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
If you are a DA basher on Celtic Blog then you are here for a reason...you are a wannabe GM throwing in your 2 cents from the peanut gallery because you have nothing better to do!

I am bashing what Danny has done this year. In general he has been a good GM but I am having doubts about him going forward. I am no wannabe gm. I am simply a fan of this team that thinks you can criticize your team while still hoping they do the best they can. Hurling insults indicates you are in the peanut gallery and have nothing better to do.

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 11:12:48 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
So I read the first line of your post, and skipped the rest. Don't want to waste my time with a lot of nonsense.

How so? Or are you just a a typical Kool-Aid drinker? Make one counter point. One. Of course I am sure it will be nonsense so I will not waste my time. So do not bother.

The issue is that you are pretty off base on many of the points you list above.
Just to highlight a few:
1. Ray Allen. Danny tried to resign him, offered more than the Heat (much more according to some). Ray just didn't want to come back. Should he have anticipated this? Yes, and.... he did, which is why he tried to trade him last year.
2. Steemer. Danny could have kept him if he offered the MLE. Nothing less. Is Steemer worth the MLE and no Terry? In retrospect, maybe. But that's hindsight and only bc Terry hasn't panned out. Nothing to do with Steemer.
3. "A big". Is Danny supposed to trade for a big "no matter what" just bc we need a big? No. It depends on the cost of obtaining the big. Still not satisfied? Then wait a week. I guarantee there'll be a bench warming big on the bench.
4. Trading PP and KG. I'm with you that it's better to trade them than ride out the nostalgia... to a point. There are still opptys to trade- think draft night- and the pickings might be richer (J Smith was really only big name on the block; could be more/bigger names in late June).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 11:13:26 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
he is one of the best GMs in the game. Since the KG trade, he got us a championship, 5 Atlantic division titles, 2 conference champions, and 3 conference and 2 finals appearance...

aside from that, every season he has worked his butt off to keep us in contention. His moves while controversial, does help us, because he wants what is best for the Celtics. Just because he didn't make any big trades this year is because he doesn't like what he is getting back from Pierce and KG. KG and Pierce may be 36 35 years old respectively, but their values are still high. You don't just trade them for scraps and low draft picks.

I am satisfied that Danny did not make any major moves and I am definitely happy that he is our GM. He is highly competent to remain as our GM for years to come. 

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 11:16:41 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I think this will sum it all up nicely:
Everyone wants Danny to trade like Darryl Morrey, but everyone wants the Cs to have the Cs record under Danny than the Rockets record under Morrey.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 11:17:15 PM »

Offline rutzan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 85
If you are a DA basher on Celtic Blog then you are here for a reason...you are a wannabe GM throwing in your 2 cents from the peanut gallery because you have nothing better to do!

I am bashing what Danny has done this year. In general he has been a good GM but I am having doubts about him going forward. I am no wannabe gm. I am simply a fan of this team that thinks you can criticize your team while still hoping they do the best they can. Hurling insults indicates you are in the peanut gallery and have nothing better to do.

"This last year he has made zero decent moves. Not one."

i'm going to ask you a favor...please look up the definition of "zero"

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 11:17:40 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Both Terry and Green are starting to be worth their contracts lately.  Lee's been pretty good, too. 

Drafting Sully was a good move, even with his back problems.  And, I still have some hope for Melo.

All in all, I think Danny did a good job this past off season.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2013, 11:17:52 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
So I read the first line of your post, and skipped the rest. Don't want to waste my time with a lot of nonsense.

How so? Or are you just a a typical Kool-Aid drinker? Make one counter point. One. Of course I am sure it will be nonsense so I will not waste my time. So do not bother.

Just to highlight a few:
1. Ray Allen. Danny tried to resign him, offered more than the Heat (much more according to some). Ray just didn't want to come back. Should he have anticipated this? Yes, and.... he did, which is why he tried to trade him last year.
2. Steemer. Danny could have kept him if he offered the MLE. Nothing less. Is Steemer worth the MLE and no Terry? In retrospect, maybe. But that's hindsight and only bc Terry hasn't panned out. Nothing to do with Steemer.
3. "A big". Is Danny supposed to trade for a big "no matter what" just bc we need a big? No. It depends on the cost of obtaining the big. Still not satisfied? Then wait a week. I guarantee there'll be a bench warming big on the bench.
4. Trading PP and KG. I'm with you that it's better to trade them than ride out the nostalgia... to a point. There are still opptys to trade- think draft night- and the pickings might be richer (J Smith was really only big name on the block; could be more/bigger names in late June).

Thanks, you beat me to a few of those.  Stiemsma is the easiest one where our hands were simply tied.   And he hasn't exactly set the world on fire in Minnesota. 

We lost Ray for the sin of only offering him double what Miami did instead of triple.  And it's bad that we "bid against ourselves" on Green, despite no proof it was the case, but it's also bad that we didn't bid against ourselves on Ray, when by all accounts that was the case.  Bit of a double standard there.

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2013, 11:19:06 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I'll make a counterpoint. If we play the Heat in the playoffs, our odds of winning the series probably go up the more Ray plays.

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2013, 11:21:09 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
This last year he has made zero decent moves. Not one. Let's recap in no real order:

Let Ray Allen not only leave for nothing in return, but go to the team that will most likely win the title this year. a team in our own conference. This because Danny told Ray was gone before getting the deal locked down, thus angering Ray, particularly when the deal fell apart and they had to walk the whole thing back. Imagine your boss says: "You're fired, you're fired for a guy who may or may not be better than you. Oh wait, the guy does not want to work here. Nevermind, get back to work."

I guess Danny should have done a better job getting something for Ray the first time around. Or are you saying he should have kept Ray, and not offer him up for a younger player who's having a career year this year (Mayo)?

Signed Darko who clearly wanted no part of Doc and Doc wanted no part of him.

Yeah, offering a minimum contract to a 7-foot free agent was a huge mistake.

Drafted one player with a back problem. A back problem. Find one, One athlete with back issues that ever really recovers.

I bet he should have taken Perry Jones, right?

Drafts another player that will not contribute for at least another two years if ever. The team already makes fun of what a ding bat this guy is. Publicly. Makes me really confident.

I'm actually with you on this one.

Signed Jason Terry who either does not fit in or who aged twenty years in the off season. If Terry could do his job, score, we would not have needed to trade for Jordan Crawford after Barbosa, who also would not have played if Terry could score anymore, went down. Think about it.

I like this line of reasoning. Ainge cobbles together a sign-and-trade for Lee by using a bunch of spare parts, which allows him to sign one of the top SG free agents of last summer to a MLE deal. He also manages to sign Barbosa to a minimum level contract, and then turns that contract and another min level contract in Collins to nab a young gunner on a rookie contract in a trade that virtually every media outlet I've read at the deadline has called an absolute heist. So, instead of applauding Ainge's resourcefulness in turning lemons into lemonade, blame him for Terry's performance so far.

Let Greg Stiemsma go when we really could have used him and kept him had we cared. He has been better than Darko and Collins while playing for the Wolves.

Could not have kept Stiemsma. Wolves offered him a contract that Ainge could not match, by CBA rules.

Traded too much and then paid too much for Courtney Lee. Now in fairness Lee has finally started to show a pulse but we gave up too much for him. E'Twaun Moore has been just as good for millions less and we lost the Charlotte Bobcats first pick in the second round of this upcoming draft, which right now would be the 31st pick. Now this upcoming draft does not have any real stars but by all accounts it is deep. I would much rather have had Moore and that pick than Lee overpaid at 5 million per year for another four years.

I think you're alone on that island. I'll take Lee over Moore and a pick in the 30s in this coming draft. Heck, if it really matters, Ainge can buy a 2nd rounder.

Signed Jeff Green for nine million dollars a year for four years. I do not need to even go into this. everybody on this board and everybody in the NBA knows two things about that deal. One, the Celtics were bidding against nobody. Two, that Green was the most obscenely overpaid player in the off season. Think I am exaggerating? Garnett makes an average of 11.5 million per season over the term of his deal. Green makes nine. With an extra year. Nuff said.

I'm with you on this one. Green is overpaid.

Went through the trade deadline when we desperately needed big men and came away with Jordan Crawford. Now on the face of it, I like getting Crawford for nothing. He can flat out score and is dirt cheap. However, we have one center, KG and two power forwards, Bass and Wilcox. You know how many points we gave up in the paint against the Lakers the other night? Fifty four. Think that is going stop? Not real likely. So now we will use cast-offs to keep Wilcox and KG from burning out down the stretch. Great plan.

I haven't looked at the schedule, but I don't think we play the Lakers again anytime soon. What's wrong with cast-offs? PJ Brown was a cast-off. I won't blame Ainge for not bringing in some big man help until he doesn't bring in big man help.

Danny's failings this year have effectively doomed us to be mediocre this year and next. Staying around .500, not getting a decent draft pick, never getting much better because we are capped out until 2015. Plus who has faith we can get a top flight free agent to sign here? Not one ever has. Now this year not being in the lottery is not a big deal. There are no real team changing players and picking at 18 or 19 which where we will most likely end up may not be much different than picking at 9 or 10. 2014's draft however is another case altogether. That draft is loaded. People think as good as 2003's draft. Being in the top 5 picks could change the franchise. Instead, Pierce and KG will be here for at least part of the year, keeping this team around .500 and out of the lottery. Keeping us in middle-of-the-road purgatory.

Being a team that stays in the middle, year after year, dooms a franchise. Nine times out of ten, you have crater to get back up. The only teams this is not the case for is Miami and L.A..They are attractive destinations for players so their ability to get free agents allows them to as the saying goes "reload" rather than "rebuild". This team won the '08 title by being bad, compiling draft picks, making good choices with those picks and then trading those picks for established stars. Danny has had a decent record drafting. This year he blew it. I must admit I still have faith he can draft well again. Too bad he will not have that 31st pick as well as our first rounder to prove it.

The litany of the "TANK NOW!" congregation. I'm not in the least interested in becoming Sacramento, Charlotte, or any of the other inept franchises that, year after year, circle Secaucus on their calendars, and pray for ping-pong balls.

Now I get that for the sake of tradition and respect, letting KG and Pierce ride off together is a nice thought and may help the Celtics getting players down the line. They might look at that and say "that franchise is good to their guys, that means something to me." I hope they think that, but I doubt they will. They will look at the weather, the taxes and the lack of off-the-court fun to be had in New England and say "Miami, Dallas, L.A., OK. No way will I go to Boston." Sure Doc may help of course but I still think we are behind Miami, Dallas, Los Angeles and NYC for free agents no matter how honorable we end up being to KG and Paul.

Two words: global warming. It's coming, and Boston is going to reap the benefits in free agency. By the way, cap room isn't just for signing free agents. (No one seems to remember this, I don't know why.)

So barring a miracle, it will have been five years since we last won a title, three since we have been to the finals at the end of this season. Yes. That long. Happy we held on to KG and Pierce now? Happy we have Lee, Terry and Green on the books for combined twenty million for the next three years? Nope, did not think so. Hope you like average, Boston fans. You are going to see a whole lot of it until 2016.

Can't wait. I look forward to continued relevance in the NBA, watching Hall of Famers playing Celtic basketball. Who knows? Maybe Ainge breaks my heart at next year's trade deadline, trading the hated Green, Lee, and Bass for expiring contracts, Rondo for 1st rounders, and watching Pierce and Garnett's last season spent missing the playoffs and getting a lottery pick.

Until that happens, I won't blame Ainge for something he hasn't done. And as of right now, I'm not going to blame him for extending a three-year window for another three years. This last half decade has been more than I could have asked for as a Celtic fan.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2013, 11:24:53 PM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown

Just to highlight a few:

OK, now we are having a discussion. My issues are with Danny's choices this year. As I pointed out, I think Allen was angered by the way his trade to Memphis nearly went down. That in my mind helped him decide to bolt. Regarding Terry and Steemer, fine point. I just worried from the beginning that paying Terry that much when he really was looking slow towards the end of the year made me very nervous.

Look, I love the Celtics. I have loved them since the early 80's living in Greece for crying out loud. I have never touched drugs because it scared me to death when Len Bias died. Stayed a fan while Gaston tried to rob the team blind with the Vin Baker trade. I just think you can give your team heat and still love them all the same. Am I wrong?

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2013, 11:29:54 PM »

Offline jasail

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 24
1) Ray's decision may have been affected by the trade rumors last year, but it may have been equally affected by Doc's decision to stay with AB once Ray came back, Ray's issues with Rondo and Ray's desire to win another championship, which like it or not the Heat are in a better position to do with the best player in NBA. 

2)Darko was a poor signing in retrospect. But it was a low risk move to find a big body that can rebound and he cost the team very little outside of a roster spot for a few weeks.

3 and 4)He took a risks drafting Sullinger and Melo. But this is NBA draft in the 20s. The success rate in this area is pretty low and Danny's been better than most.

Sullinger had red flags with injuries with his injury history but that is why a lotto talent was at 21.  He was a solid contributor until his injury and still has upside. 
Melo is clearly a project, but so was that pudgy Perkins kid. My question is who was available from 21 on that would have been a sure shot to contribute this year? 

5) Terry struggled early on, but as the season has progressed he looks more and more like the Jet. I agree that it's a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ty contract with the MLE moving forward.

6) Agree with Steamer. He was a better option than both Darko and Collins. 

7) Disagree that he traded too much for Lee. Moore and the 31st pick are solid for a veteran guard that can defend multiple positions, handle the bar, shoot the 3 and get to the rim. Moore's putting up so-so numbers playing 20+ minutes on a terrible team; hardly inspiring. Lee's contract will probably be a slight overpay over its length, but it's hardly a bad deal.

8)Danny overpaid for Jeff. Jeff struggled to start the season, but he was coming off serious heart surgery.  Regardless, the money is a lot for a player that doesn't do anything exceptionally well, but then again he doesn't do anything poorly either.  Like Lee, he can defend multiple positions, shoot the 3, handle the ball and get to the rim.

9)Big men don't grow on trees. Finding a solid big man is difficult and/or expensive. Considering our trade chips, what big man was available?  I expect DA will address through waivers. 

10)I also fear about a 5 year future at the #8 seed.  However, there it wasn't that DA was unwilling to make trades to blow this team up, its that he couldn't find a willing partner.

There is still time to move PP and KG. This summer DA will have another chance to move these two and maybe Rondo, Lee and/or Green. This helps the C's gain young trade assets that can be used in the next trade for an all star veteran.  This is important because FAs have no interest in coming to Boston.  If he can do that and the team has a down year or two and gets a few lotto picks, the C's will likely be in good shape come 2015/2016. 

Moreover, you don't know how much DA is being influenced by Wyc, et al. They sell out the place, they have a playoff caliber team that can give you about 5-10 playoff games. It can't be easy for them to give DA the freedom to hit the red button and perhaps end up with a 30 win team and Red Sox like interest. 

I'm not totally happy with DA, but I think the OP is an overly hyperbolic knee jerk reaction to an underwhelming trade deadline and back to back losses on the road.