Author Topic: Samaro Samuels , Henry Sims, Rick Jackson possible nbdl pickups?  (Read 2820 times)

Samaro Samuels , Henry Sims, Rick Jackson possible nbdl pickups?
« on: February 21, 2013, 08:46:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Danny has to do something to add bodies up front. Even if it means not really playing, but just in case KG and Wilcox get into quick foul troubles. I'm sick and tired of Doc sticking Bass out there as a Center and opposing teams having a field day driving into the paint for easy hoops.

I doubt there is another Terence Williams but pf/c version outside of NA right now that can be brought in.  The nba FA after Martin signing has been picked clean. And lastly you can't pray that a decent big man get waived.

So why not do something and sign one or both of these guys on 10 day contracts.

Samuels reminds me of perkins both in how he plays and how he looks. Also not a bad passer. But pretty slow footed which may hamper him to keep up with our defensive system

Henry Sims has pretty good size/mobility and is a more than decent passer. But rebounding is not his specialty.

Considered two of the better FA nbdl big players right now.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 09:03:46 PM by triboy16f »

Re: Samaro Samuels , Henry Sims possible nbdl pickups?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 08:57:05 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Another guy i should have listed is Rick Jackson. Former melo colleague, rebounding machine in college , pretty good passer but horrendous FT shooter. Very good mobility

Re: Samaro Samuels , Henry Sims, Rick Jackson possible nbdl pickups?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 09:09:44 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Henry Sims got crushed by Melo last time they played.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 09:11:46 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Out of these guys I would choose Sims.   We need a big body, Sims is a better rebounder and scorer than Melo.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/henry_sims/

He can shoot FT%.  Georgetown bigs are usually well coached.

You must be talking about college?  Did Melo really crush anyone in college with 7.8 PPG and 5.6 RPG.   I think not.  Fab had 11 points and 7 boards that game hardly a crush.  Sims did outrebound him with 8 rebounds but Fab did outscore him by five.   But Kris J scored 29 that game he did the crushing.  Melo was perhaps servicable that game.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/games/2012/02/08/georgetown-61-syracuse-64

Sims is a better DL player than Melo.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20121206/MNEERI/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore

Actually Sims owned Melo this game and this is the last game they played.   Another guy propping up Melo with untrue stats!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 09:17:53 PM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 09:32:41 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Out of these guys I would choose Sims.   We need a big body, Sims is a better rebounder and scorer than Melo.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/henry_sims/

He can shoot FT%.  Georgetown bigs are usually well coached.

You must be talking about college?  Did Melo really crush anyone in college with 7.8 PPG and 5.6 RPG.   I think not.  Fab had 11 points and 7 boards that game hardly a crush.  Sims did outrebound him with 8 rebounds but Fab did outscore him by five.   But Kris J scored 29 that game he did the crushing.  Melo was perhaps servicable that game.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/games/2012/02/08/georgetown-61-syracuse-64

Sims is a better DL player than Melo.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20121206/MNEERI/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore

Actually Sims owned Melo this game and this is the last game they played.   Another guy propping up Melo with untrue stats!

When he states destroyed he might be talking about this game, where Melo had a triple double with 16 rebounds and 14 blocks. However its not like he blocked Sims 10 times. It was more like he was blocking everyone else on Erie. I remember that game

http://basketball.realgm.com/dleague/boxscore/2012-12-22/Erie-at-Maine/101094

Sims also has had good games against melo (these two teams play alot vs each other)

http://basketball.realgm.com/dleague/boxscore/2012-12-16/Maine-at-Erie/101081

Overall Sims has been better than Melo. Sims has a higher bbiq and looks like a vet vs Melo. Knows when to help out, where to pass it to, how to screen. All things celtics look in a big man. I would be happy to give him a 10 day

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 09:34:57 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
When he states destroyed he might be talking about this game, where Melo had a triple double with 16 rebounds and 14 blocks.

Yeah, I was trying to allude to that.
He blocked Sims a few times, and from what I saw of Sims he was trying to do too much under the rim.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 09:45:21 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The last game they played was in the DL.   Sims had the better game.

Joseph won the college game.

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 09:46:29 PM »

Offline 33_Larry Legend_33

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 87
I'd like this guy:

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/jerome_jordan/

Jordan made the D-League all-star game (which is not even for bigs anymore).  He made a strong impression this pre-season before being waived (Memphis, I think).  I like his game and he hits the boards, something we need.  Doubt any guy that Danny picks up will play much, but I think Jordan is better than Fab (by a LONG shot) and he'd come cheap.

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 09:53:08 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
I'd like this guy:

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/jerome_jordan/

Jordan made the D-League all-star game (which is not even for bigs anymore).  He made a strong impression this pre-season before being waived (Memphis, I think).  I like his game and he hits the boards, something we need.  Doubt any guy that Danny picks up will play much, but I think Jordan is better than Fab (by a LONG shot) and he'd come cheap.

I think, at a worst case scenario, he should at least get someone who rebounds decently in the D-League (ahem, Jerome, not you)
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 10:20:25 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Never heard of any of them. Doesn't mean they aren't good, but lets see if Kaman or someone else with NBA experience is bought out/cut.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 10:33:11 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
I remember when Samuels played for the Cavs... he wouldn't be a bad pickup, could provide some decent minutes

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 10:49:44 PM »

Offline ForexPirate

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 19
i'd like to see curley come back from Russia ...

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 11:00:48 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Sims feels like the guy most likely to develop into a trade asset.  He's one of those players who has enough to intrigue teams, but not enough dazzling athleticism to make teams want to burn a roster spot on him as a project.

I could easily see him developing into an adequate backup center who is a finesse big with good passing skills on offense and an intelligent defender who can block shots on defense, but never being much more than an average rebounder.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 11:21:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Sims feels like the guy most likely to develop into a trade asset.  He's one of those players who has enough to intrigue teams, but not enough dazzling athleticism to make teams want to burn a roster spot on him as a project.

I could easily see him developing into an adequate backup center who is a finesse big with good passing skills on offense and an intelligent defender who can block shots on defense, but never being much more than an average rebounder.

Agreed. But the lack of consistent rebounding is troubling. Nor is he wide or strong enough to clog the middle or slow down other big guys. He maybe no better than a more skilled Ryan Hollins

Samuels maybe has a more nba ready body , though his iq is not as high as Sims. Plus doesn't have good quickness

No wonder these guys are in the nbdl, its like a almost production ready car but missing a wheel

Jarome Jordan, again, has Mcgee/Jordan written all over him but he doesn't do much of the little things to be a nba guy.

Rick Jackson intrigues me for some reason. A little on the short side (6'9) and shoulders are a little narrow (like Jermaine oneil), but he can really rebound by a combination of length, jump and strength. Plus has pretty good iq.
Out of all i have listed, Jackson might be the most useful or fit. Bc bottom line is he can rebound (our #1 need) on both ends of the court unlike collins or wilcox.

He has dominated college in rebounding and is consistently pulling down 10 plus in the nbdl. Whose to say he can't continue this in the nba

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 11:40:46 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Agreed. But the lack of consistent rebounding is troubling. Nor is he wide or strong enough to clog the middle or slow down other big guys. He maybe no better than a more skilled Ryan Hollins

If a player turned out to be a smarter Ryan Hollins with merely adequate rebounding and more polished offense, that sounds like a player who belongs in the NBA.  I'd take a guy who is, at best, an average rebounder but can do other things over a guy like Reggie Evans who is a great rebounder but does nothing else well (except flop).
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference