Author Topic: Should we just start Green out of position at PF?  (Read 9824 times)

Re: Should we just start Green out of position at PF?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 09:45:05 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Now that we have someone like Terrence Williams back there, this team should strongly consider starting Jeff Green, whether it be at the 3, with Pierce at the 2, or at the 4 instead of Bass.

Not sure which is the best course of action at the moment.

I am strongly opposed to Pierce starting at the 2.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 09:52:12 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Now that we have someone like Terrence Williams back there, this team should strongly consider starting Jeff Green, whether it be at the 3, with Pierce at the 2, or at the 4 instead of Bass.

Available buyout candidates might dictate that a little.  With the amount of guard talent we have, it no longer makes sense to start Pierce at the 2.  It only ever made sense to me, because I thought we could combine some assets (including guards) to land a legit big.  But since that didn't happen... let our guards do what they can do. 

Still.. we're so weak at the bigs that I really would love to see Jeff get more minutes as a PF.  He's one of our best players... he should be playing 38 minutes a night.

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 09:54:39 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

Available buyout candidates might dictate that a little.  With the amount of guard talent we have, it no longer makes sense to start Pierce at the 2.  It only ever made sense to me, because I thought we could combine some assets (including guards) to land a legit big.  But since that didn't happen... let our guards do what they can do. 

Still.. we're so weak at the bigs that I really would love to see Jeff get more minutes as a PF.  He's one of our best players... he should be playing 38 minutes a night.

WHOA there, 38 minutes? I was pushing for 30. 38 is too much, we signed Terrence so he could spread out minutes for the playoffs. Let's not overplay any guys.

I definitely think Doc owes Green some more chances though. He's a starter on all but 6 teams in the league, give him starter-minutes at least though!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 10:00:52 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

WHOA there, 38 minutes? I was pushing for 30. 38 is too much, we signed Terrence so he could spread out minutes for the playoffs. Let's not overplay any guys.

I definitely think Doc owes Green some more chances though. He's a starter on all but 6 teams in the league, give him starter-minutes at least though!

He's been playing 31 minutes per game since Rondo went down.  That's starter level minutes.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 10:01:18 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
So we have rebounding issues. Let's fix this by putting Jeff Green at PF... sure.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 10:07:21 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
So we have rebounding issues. Let's fix this by putting Jeff Green at PF... sure.
But do you think the rebounding/defense Bass gives you is a bigger bonus than the offense that Green gives you? 

How much better is Bass at rebounding/defense, if at all?    Green is clearly superior offensively. 

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 10:09:25 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

Was gonna say, Green isn't much of a downgrade from Bass in the rebounding front. That plus what LarBrd33 said.

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 10:11:22 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

He's been playing 31 minutes per game since Rondo went down.  That's starter level minutes.

Yep. I like that. 38 is Luol Deng level, no thanks!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 10:13:35 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'd say yes, now that we have more depth on the wings, we can afford to start Green and have Bass be the first guy off the bench.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 10:16:11 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
But do you think the rebounding/defense Bass gives you is a bigger bonus than the offense that Green gives you? 

How much better is Bass at rebounding/defense, if at all?    Green is clearly superior offensively.

The offense that Green's been giving us has been great lately.  We need him to keep it up.  There's no need to try to make him our starting power forward, though.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2013, 10:25:32 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I like the

Bradley/Lee/Pierce/Green/KG

and

Lee/Pierce/Green/Wilcox/KG
So as Red used to say, it's not who starts but who finishes that counts. I like both these lineups to finish games.   :)

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2013, 10:27:18 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
I like the

Bradley/Lee/Pierce/Green/KG

and

Lee/Pierce/Green/Wilcox/KG
So as Red used to say, it's not who starts but who finishes that counts. I like both these lineups to finish games.   :)

Eh, I wouldn't want Wilcox to finish games per say... ;D
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2013, 10:28:34 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Green might not start on a couple teams... but on Boston he's the 3rd best player.  Why shouldn't our 3rd best player get 38 minutes a night?

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2013, 10:41:18 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
I agree that JGreen is our 3rd best player.  Some nights he looks like our 2nd best player.  Honestly I would be hesitant to shake up what is already working.  Jeff is providing a great spark and production off the bench while being pretty efficient.

Since Green is already playing really well, I just wonder if the real question is how to get more out of Bass?  Does Bass play better as a starter or off the bench?  I think Bass does give us a bit more rebounding bulk at the 4.  Man who knows, neither Bass nor Green is really a great starting 4.  Green is probably a very good starting 3.  Uggg...We just have a screwed up lineup at the moment.  Probably no really great magical fixes.

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2013, 10:41:49 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Green might not start on a couple teams... but on Boston he's the 3rd best player.  Why shouldn't our 3rd best player get 38 minutes a night?

There's only about 15 players in the league getting 38 minutes or more per game.  Basically, nobody is playing their third best player that many minutes.

When your third best player plays the same position as your second best player, I don't think the answer is to put him full time at a different position.  Rather, I feel that the answer is to do exactly what Doc's been doing with Jeff Green; play him as more of a utility man who plays multiple positions and logs 30 plus minutes per contest.  That seems to be working right now.
DKC Seventy-Sixers: